Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How long did your Pentax battery live (up to 4 answers if multiple batteries)
Less than 12 months 34.55%
12-18 months 11.52%
18-24 months 11.52%
24-36 months 812.12%
36-48 months 1015.15%
Greater than 48 months 5278.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Battery Lifetime

The claim was made on a recent troubleshooting thread that (according to a dealer) Pentax-branded batteries are junk and last no more than a year. Conventional wisdom is that most lithium ion batteries should be good for about three years in normal use with actual lifetime being age dependent (the batteries degrade on the shelf whether used or not).

While it is possible that a camera sold as NOS (new old stock) may have a battery that is near its end of life, the batteries shipped with the Pentax cameras I have unboxed new have been fresh.

After much discussion on that thread regarding how Pentax batteries are s*^#, I left the thread with the promise of opening a poll with the intent of finding out just how short-lived those batteries actually are.

As always, your comments are always highly valuable, though I would appreciate that things not degrade into talk about the merits of various brands of aftermarket batteries.

NOTE: I screwed up when defining the poll options and did not make provision for batteries still "living". As a result, each category includes those that are still alive and those that died at that age.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-14-2015 at 12:35 PM.
06-09-2015, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Emperor and Senpai

Honestly I've never had problems with the battery in my K5 (still the original one) my K-01 (still original), Q10 (original) or my K3. They seem to be holding up just fine for me.
06-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Honestly I've never had problems with the battery in my K5 (still the original one) my K-01 (still original), Q10 (original) or my K3. They seem to be holding up just fine for me.
The poll is open now, but it occurred to me that I should have added an option for "still alive". I will see what the mods can do.

Steve
06-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The poll is open now, but it occurred to me that I should have added an option for "still alive".
The OEM battery that shipped with my K10D, purchased 2007, still had reasonable life as of last year, (2014). Greater than
48 months constitutes 'still alive'.

06-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I was just going to mention 'still alive'. All of my Pentax batteries are still in service and while I don't track the usage, subjectively I do not see any difference in how long a charge lasts.
06-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was just going to mention 'still alive'. All of my Pentax batteries are still in service and while I don't track the usage, subjectively I do not see any difference in how long a charge lasts.
The same here. That is why I feel particularly dumb right now . The battery that came with my K10D was still working quite well when I sold it last year after seven years of regular usage. The same is true for my daughter's K10D except that her's is eight years old. My friend's K-50 battery is still fine after 18 months and my K-3 battery is still strong and alive after 14 months and over 10,000 exposures. With any luck it will not die immediately after I submit this comment

Steve
06-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I assumed 'still alive' in my answers, since none of my Pentax batteries have died (oldest ones are ~4 years old).
06-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Have had zero problems with batteries for my camera, whether Pentax or third party. Highly recommend Wasabi batteries, even if just to get the far superior charger (more compact for travel, plus supports car charging).

I purchased my first Pentax camera (k5) used almost exactly 2 years ago. I don't know how long the battery had been used before then. Of course, over the last couple years I've added 4 more third party batteries and one more Pentax brand (when I purchased my k3), so I don't know how many charge cycles any given battery has been through.

06-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #9

My replacement batterys died after 12 month, the second pack of replacement barttery is working fine currently, as the original one.
06-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax Battery Lifetime
Guess mine last so long... cos they are not powering up any autofocus malarky.
06-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I also assumed 48 months was "still alive". My K-30 battery is still going strong after 50 months. Granted, all my lenses are manual focus and I'm a sparse live view user, so one charge lasts for. ev. er. (i.e. - not a lot of charge cycles.)

Edit: D'oh! I had a brain fade, I'm sorry. I've only had the camera/battery for 26 months. No way to change my vote I guess. lol. Sorry.

Last edited by severalsnakes; 06-09-2015 at 04:59 PM.
06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

I have batteries from the K-7 days that still work fine! Holds their charge and lasts on my K-3. In fact, I shot over 1440 photos (about 300 with AF540 flash) this past weekend and second battery was in the yellow. I have 6 total from owning a K-7, K-5, and now a K-3.

I can run more tests but specifically I was doing theoretical experiments with the 2 batteries from my K-7. Coincidentally posting my findings in this thread!
06-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I haven't had any problems with my batteries failing, but I have really noticed that my K3 drains them a lot faster than the same battery in my K5. Sometimes they drain fast enough I think something must be wrong but the same battery is fine in the K5. Official Pentax and 3rd party ones seem the same to me though I am saying that without any scientific type testing.
06-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Still using a D-LI90 battery from 2010, almost deliver the same capacity as the new one.
06-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
I haven't had any problems with my batteries failing, but I have really noticed that my K3 drains them a lot faster than the same battery in my K5. Sometimes they drain fast enough I think something must be wrong but the same battery is fine in the K5. Official Pentax and 3rd party ones seem the same to me though I am saying that without any scientific type testing.
Not quite. The official specs say the average shot count is much lower than the K-5...

So "faster" draining is supposedly quite normal. How many shots do you get on a full battery with the K-3? I get anywhere from 700-900 Raw+jpeg before I start seeing red. I think it drains much faster when I'm doing burst shots, hence the large differential in my estimates.

With the K-5 and K-7 I averaged roughly 1200, more or less, shots Raw+jpeg. So the difference to me is definitely noticeable.