Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Upgrade K-x to K-3

Hello.

I have been looking at upgrading my K-x body. The viewfinder is a bit foggy, due to a rubbed off coating, and the body as a whole is 7+ years old Recently have picked up a 21mm Limited Lens, a WR 55-300 zoom and the 40mm X-S pancake lens. Mostly using the 21mm and 55-300mm, although the 40mm is nice for street photography and indoors. Mostly shooting nature, landscapes and travel photography.

Given the new K-3II, K-3 bodies are on for cheap. Any suggestions on why I should avoid the K-3, or whether there will be any noticable improvement in my photography experience? My pros list is the weather sealing, twice as many FPS, higher resolution, pentaprism v. damaged pentamirror. Any thoughts on autofocus experience? Known issues? Is this a deal (under $800) or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for your thoughts.

06-09-2015, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Emperor and Senpai

The K3 will be an entirely new experience in image quality, control and feel. Prepare to be blown away.
06-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anott Quote
Hello.

I have been looking at upgrading my K-x body. The viewfinder is a bit foggy, due to a rubbed off coating, and the body as a whole is 7+ years old Recently have picked up a 21mm Limited Lens, a WR 55-300 zoom and the 40mm X-S pancake lens. Mostly using the 21mm and 55-300mm, although the 40mm is nice for street photography and indoors. Mostly shooting nature, landscapes and travel photography.

Given the new K-3II, K-3 bodies are on for cheap. Any suggestions on why I should avoid the K-3, or whether there will be any noticable improvement in my photography experience? My pros list is the weather sealing, twice as many FPS, higher resolution, pentaprism v. damaged pentamirror. Any thoughts on autofocus experience? Known issues? Is this a deal (under $800) or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for your thoughts.
There's no reason to avoid the K-3. It's a very substantial upgrade over the K-x in just about all areas, and it will most likely last you longer if you take good care of it. Pentax K-3 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The autofocus is a huge leap forward in live view and also much improved in low light when shooting through the viewfinder. AF for moving subjects is better but still behind the competition.

Since you're not in the US, I don't think you can take advantage of the $19 Ricoh warranty extension, but I would recommend getting an extended third-party warranty just in case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
That's what I was hoping. And how can I argue with the voice of reason.

06-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went from a K-x to the K-5 and it was a big jump. k-x to K-3 is a huge jump.
06-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Any suggestions on why I should avoid the K-3
The only caution I might make is that the body is somewhat heavier than your K-x. That is no reason to avoid, but may be a consideration when assessing whether to purchase.

Steve
06-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I also went from the k-x to the k-5 and it was a big jump, the jump from k-5 to k-3 was also big but not as much as k-x to k-5. I think you will find yourself in a completely different world with the k-3. I loved the little k-x but k-3 is amazing.

Last edited by jatrax; 06-09-2015 at 01:10 PM.
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That will be a major upgrade. Just about every feature of the K-x is improved in the K-3. Faster and more accurate autofocus, higher resolution, less noise in low light images, improved dynamic range, dual control wheels, etc. etc.

06-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd say get the K3, especially since you can get one for roughly $700.
06-10-2015, 02:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Also went from a K-x to K-3. Absolutely no regrets. K-x is pretty good for what it is but the improvement in both resolution and dynamic range was immediately apparent.
06-10-2015, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I went from a K-x to a K-S2, and I feel this was a worthwile investment. With the K-S2 you get improved AF, improved image quality, improved controls, weather sealing, pentaprism viewfinder, AA-simulator and many other features of the K-3 but in a more compact body (slightly bigger than the K-x, the K-S2 is a bit thicker and balances better with big and heavy lenses.. My DA 17-70 was uncomfortable on my K-x, felt front heavy, but it feels much better on the K-S2. Sure the K-3 has more external controls, but with different user memories and programmable controls it's easy to adapt the user interface to ones needs. I'm very happy with the K-S2, and it should be easy to use for anyone that has owned a K-x previously.
06-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
npc
Veteran Member

Hello.

I have been looking at upgrading my K-x body. The viewfinder is a bit foggy, due to a rubbed off coating

Any suggestions on why I should avoid the K-3, or whether there will be any noticable improvement in my photography experience?
In this case you'll definately notice an improvement. You just have to look through K-3's viewfinder
(sorry, could not help myself )

Seriously now, as a former K-x user - there's definately improvement in the experience as everything works better, you have more options and control, yet it is still a Pentax camera so you'll feel at home with the menus and general operation. Sensor is better in all aspects as well - dr, noise and resolution. If all of this at the end results in better pictures - it should, but it more depends on you than on the camera .

The k-3 body howerver is bigger and heavier if that matters to you, and of course it does not use AA batteries (which was one of the reasons I choose k-x back then for my travels).
06-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I did the K-x to K-3 jump about 5 months ago. It was a BIG jump.

The K-3 beats the K-x everywhere except weight.

I didn't know it until I got the K-3, but the K-x was quite forgiving of my poor technique, mainly in my inability to hold the camera still. The K-3 with it's high pixel count and lack of AA filter tantalised me with a few good pictures in amongst a mass of blur in the beginning. In the last few months I have worked hard to improve how I work with the camera to improve the quality of the pictures I take.

I love my K-3, and as I've learnt to use her properly, I've started taking pictures that I just could not have taken with the K-x.
06-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
Pulled the trigger. Had to dig to find one though. Only abused demos left in most stores. Found a good price online. Thank you all for comments.