Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

K-50 question

I enjoy my k-50 but have been told i should upgrade to something newer. just not sure if i should buy new body or what body to buy or if i should just get some more glass. any opinions on upgraded from a k-50 ? my current glass is only the 2 kit lenses and a 50mm 1.8

06-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

Original Poster
some samples from my k-50 with 50mm 1.8 prime
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
06-09-2015, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who told you that you need to upgrade?
And what are you looking to do that the k-50 does not do?

The k-50 is still fairly current and though there are newer bodies it is best to understand where you want to go before upgrading. You should have a good idea of what is holding you back with the k-50 before spending money on a new body. Perhaps your need would be better met with a new lens, or a flash or a tripod rather than a new body.
06-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
I was doing a wedding shoot and another photographer using a nikon questioned my ability because i was using pentax. the results and reactions from the wedding photos seemed to be in my favor and got me booked for 2 more weddings. I love pentax and won't be leaving it soon just got sad that i was looked down upon i suppose.

06-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kfreeburg84 Quote
I enjoy my k-50 but have been told i should upgrade to something newer. just not sure if i should buy new body or what body to buy or if i should just get some more glass. any opinions on upgraded from a k-50 ? my current glass is only the 2 kit lenses and a 50mm 1.8
If you're shooting professionally, upgrade to the K-3 which is the current high-end body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was doing a wedding shoot and another photographer using a nikon questioned my ability because i was using pentax. the results and reactions from the wedding photos seemed to be in my favor and got me booked for 2 more weddings. I love pentax and won't be leaving it soon just got sad that i was looked down upon i suppose.
Wow - that sure wasn't the nicest or classiest behavior from the other photographer, and of course, was ridiculously inaccurate. Ability has nothing to do with what brand you use. Just ignore people like that - there will be some around every corner, unfortunately. I wouldn't worry about getting a new body. Practice your craft and invest in lenses and if you feel you want to improve in an area where you are stuck, IMO, money is better spent on books or classes if a person needs them. Don't get sucked into the buy more gear mentality until, like jatrax said,you know why you need something else and what your current gear is holding you back from. The only thing I could think of off the top that might be nice for you if you want to continue shooting weddings is getting a fast prime - maybe the 50mm or a 35mm. More experienced Pentaxians can recommend something specific for you there. Great job and congrats on getting booked for 2 more weddings! Remember, it's not the gear that has the vision or the eye and doesn't determine ability.
06-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
The only thing I could think of off the top that might be nice for you if you want to continue shooting weddings is getting a fast prime - maybe the 50mm or a 35mm. More experienced Pentaxians can recommend something specific for you there.
I enjoy my 50mm 1.8 so far seems pretty fast compared to my kit lenses lol

06-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, yes, I see I missed your comment that you had that lens. That should be great for low light shooting then.
06-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And it is.

As Adam noted if you really want to upgrade and you are shooting professionally then the k-3 is where you want to be. Avoid the k-5IIs as it has no AA filter which can cause issues with some fabrics.

But upgrading your camera body is not going to change rude behavior by others. Photography is about results not gear, and you can tell professionals because they don't care a rodent's rear end about what camera you use only the images you take. So when somebody makes a comment like was made to you I simply assume the person making it is an amateur that really has no reference except that some salesperson told him Nikon was a good brand. Just smile and say you heard Nikon makes good cameras too.

Depending on your budget a k-3 would be a good move. However, I would look at your glass first. The k-50 is capable of better than the glass you currently have. I would be looking at a fast wide-normal zoom like the DA*16-50 or the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8. That will do more for your images than a new body.
06-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you do weddings, common knowledge is that you need 2 bodies. It's more convenient (less lens swapping) but more importantly, if one body 'dies', you have at least another body to fall back on.

Another K50 might be a better option as the controls are the same. But I see in your profile that you have a K10D as well, so this might not apply.

As people seem to be happy with your photos, I would opt for other equipment. Flash, diffusers, extra memory cards, tripod etc come to mind; your call based on need Lenses are not that important in that case (they deliver what the customer expects) but if you decide to go that way a Tamron 28-75/2.8 (or similar) would be a nice universal lens.
06-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you all for all the great advice.
06-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're shooting professionally, upgrade to the K-3 which is the current high-end body.
Agree totally but sadly the K-3 doesn't have a remote to shut up opinionated people that feel threatened
06-10-2015, 02:40 AM   #13

Best way to enhance your pictures is getting better computer display and calibrator. Bad displays ruin people's photos in PP after all.

I'm not saying you having bad display but I had and my photo quality got giant leap.

I chose K-3 as it fitted better to my hand which is my main criteria for camera. I don't want to think ergonomics while using my camera.
06-10-2015, 04:56 AM   #14
Forum Member

@kfreeburg84

I am at the same state as you are now buddy and as long as you are happy with your gear, you are good to go but if you are that of a pro photographer that is earning and dealing with all the rocket science-sorcery of photography well definitely an upgrade is needed. as for me I am happy with my year old K-50 but I just don't have the enough time and resources to go out and use my gear in the proper way hence it will need a new home soon.
06-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #15

There are arguments in favor of Nikon, such as full frame options and the flash system. But if what you have works for your style, there's no problem.