Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The 1600 iso image that you have posted shows absolutely no banding and is consistant with all Sony 10.2 Mp sensore.
I can provoke banding on my camera. It is visible on certain low light shots, especially if you underexpose and push in Raw.

Here are some examples:

ISO 1600 correctly exposed

ISO 1600 uderexposed by 1 stop, pushed 1 stop in Raw converter (Silkypix v.3) - Effective ISO 3200

ISO 1600 underexposed by 2 stops, pushed 2 stops in converter - Effective ISO 6400

You can see the banding easily on the last shot, it is present even on the correctly exposed shot if you pixel peep. I know that some cameras are worse than others and that mine is towards the better end. The main challenge arises when people try to bring out the shadow detail from dark underexposed areas.

There is a saying that you cannot get s**t out of a wooden horse, so I guess this is where more development is needed in sensor and processor technology, but then I shudder to think what kind of image you'd get from a ISO 1600 film pushed 2 stops to ISO 6400!

For the pixel peepers and those who want to shoot their black cat in a darkened room at 1/10 sec at f1.4 it seems to be a deal breaker!

My istD at ISO 3200 is simply dreadful, it totally falls apart, my K10D pushed by 1 stop seems superior, certainly it holds colour integrity much better. But then I'm not concerned as the only ISO 3200 shots I've taken over the last 3 years were when I mistakenly left the camera on ISO 3200 after doing one shot, and had a small number of dreadful shots until I spotted my mistake, not as easy to see on the D as it is on the K10D!