06-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1 or 2,

low pass filters soften photographs.

You can always add more lenses later.
06-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

No 4 for all round best value. Gives you your 35mm, plus I don't see how the iis version is worth 100 more than the plain ii ??? A little extra sharpening and detail work on rare occasions it's needed is little effort. Then save up for an ' upgraded' kit or telezoom option. Most bang per buck I think!
06-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Thanks for your thoughts so far, everyone. Anyone else have anything to add? I guess no one likes my wildcard of option 3 (K5ii with 18-55 and 50-200 WR) - are these lenses so bad that I'm better off not owning them?
Yes. Go with Option 1

06-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

#1. Best camera, best lens. Many have started with one camera and one normal prime.
06-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I have the K-3 and DA35 lens and I can vouch that this combo is a winner. I had K-5II and K-3 is much better, especially AF.
The sharpness on the pictures taken with K-3 and DA35 is excellent as well as colours. If you like I can post some examples, just let me know.
06-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter

1). option for sure
06-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
mee
Site Supporter

none of your packages

I'd get the K-5iis and an 18-55WR for starters. With the 18-55 you can play around with the focal lengths in it's range and decide what primes you want (if any).

K-5iis has better dynamic range than the K-3 (nice for landscapes, esp if you shoot DNG and process on the PC) and the 16MP files are easier managed... plus it is cheaper.

On the other hand, the K-3 has dual SD slots, faster AF, and more resolution .. and better lens support I think.. so it does have several pluses too.

06-12-2015, 01:06 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote

I have the K-3 and DA35 lens and I can vouch that this combo is a winner. I had K-5II and K-3 is much better, especially AF.
The sharpness on the pictures taken with K-3 and DA35 is excellent as well as colours. If you like I can post some examples, just let me know.
Thanks everyone, your comments are much appreciated. So much variation from so few variables - it seems that the K5ii and K5iis and the K3 are really so close together, but those without a low pass filter appear to give lightly better sharpness.

I guess I'll go for...
06-12-2015, 01:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

option 1 is good deal, I have the K5IIs myself but the difference in price is not that interesting.
K3 + 35mm 2.4 + 50mm 1.7 (you already have) is a great combo ^^
06-12-2015, 02:16 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
option 1 is good deal, I have the K5IIs myself but the difference in price is not that interesting.
K3 + 35mm 2.4 + 50mm 1.7 (you already have) is a great combo ^^
It IS sounding good. I do want a good tele/zoom lens though to complement the kit - as well as a 15 or 21mm wide angle - but these are very expensive new, so I'll look for them on fleabay or on the marketplace here.

Anyhow, anyone suggest a decent zoom - is the 55-300 worth getting now, or is there something better? - price is a factor, as ever. (wife and three (small) kids etc!)
06-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #27

It IS sounding good. I do want a good tele/zoom lens though to complement the kit - as well as a 15 or 21mm wide angle - but these are very expensive new, so I'll look for them on fleabay or on the marketplace here.

Anyhow, anyone suggest a decent zoom - is the 55-300 worth getting now, or is there something better? - price is a factor, as ever. (wife and three (small) kids etc!)
It depends on the range you think you'll want with the zoom.

If you're looking for an everyday zoom you can pretty much leave on most of the time I would recommend the DA 18-135. Images are sharp and the auto focus is silent and quick. (not screw-drive like kit zooms) You can find the 18-135 on eBay for about $250.

For the long end you can look for Sigma 70-300, DA 55-300, or if price is a factor, a DA 50-200 which you can get on eBay for relatively little.
If you want a long range zoom, you can look out for a Sigma 70-300 on eBay since you can sometimes find them cheap. (I found one for $35 a few months back.)

Here's one listing with both 28-80 and 70-300 lenses which is currently about $75 --- (Click here for Link) They're both screw-drive autofocus, but will get you a wide range for zoom which should help you out as you figure out what range you enjoy working with. Once you know what range you like, you can start dreaming bigger of the fast zooms with wide apertures, or you can buy more primes at the ranges you use most.

---------- Post added 06-12-15 at 01:01 PM ----------

And right after I posted that I remembered you worked in pounds, so my US dollars probably don't mean much to you... Oops!

---------- Post added 06-12-15 at 01:16 PM ----------

Just a few thoughts on different bodies... I haven't used a K-5 / II / IIs, but I own a K-3 and I love it. I was debating between the different bodies a few months ago and I was torn between the K-5 II and IIs since I wanted the extra detail but I was worried about moire. With the K-3 I have the best of both worlds with the selectable AA filter (which I haven't needed yet!), plus extra resolution for cropping. I can't complain about the auto focus or white balance since so far it's been spot on. The raw files are larger, but the dual SD card slots help and I love the detail I can pull out.

I have no experience with the K-5 series, but I would definitely recommend the K-3 based on my results.

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 06-12-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
06-13-2015, 03:45 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
It depends on the range you think you'll want with the zoom.

If you're looking for an everyday zoom you can pretty much leave on most of the time I would recommend the DA 18-135. Images are sharp and the auto focus is silent and quick. (not screw-drive like kit zooms) You can find the 18-135 on eBay for about $250.

For the long end you can look for Sigma 70-300, DA 55-300, or if price is a factor, a DA 50-200 which you can get on eBay for relatively little.
If you want a long range zoom, you can look out for a Sigma 70-300 on eBay since you can sometimes find them cheap. (I found one for $35 a few months back.)

Here's one listing with both 28-80 and 70-300 lenses which is currently about $75 --- (Click here for Link) They're both screw-drive autofocus, but will get you a wide range for zoom which should help you out as you figure out what range you enjoy working with. Once you know what range you like, you can start dreaming bigger of the fast zooms with wide apertures, or you can buy more primes at the ranges you use most.

---------- Post added 06-12-15 at 01:01 PM ----------

And right after I posted that I remembered you worked in pounds, so my US dollars probably don't mean much to you... Oops!

---------- Post added 06-12-15 at 01:16 PM ----------

Just a few thoughts on different bodies... I haven't used a K-5 / II / IIs, but I own a K-3 and I love it. I was debating between the different bodies a few months ago and I was torn between the K-5 II and IIs since I wanted the extra detail but I was worried about moire. With the K-3 I have the best of both worlds with the selectable AA filter (which I haven't needed yet!), plus extra resolution for cropping. I can't complain about the auto focus or white balance since so far it's been spot on. The raw files are larger, but the dual SD card slots help and I love the detail I can pull out.

I have no experience with the K-5 series, but I would definitely recommend the K-3 based on my results.
Don't worry about the pounds thing - they convert quite equally! Thanks for your input... I'm less concerned with moire but like the idea of sharper images.
The silent drive on the 18-135 is lovely too. As ever though, it comes down to what I can afford now - I don't want to sell my MX or ME Super or lenses. I can use the f1.7 50mm Pentax-M and 28mm Pentax-A on my K5ii/K3 - whichever one I get! I'm keen on a wide angle and a good zoom. Does the 18-135 take care of this?

Thanks again everyone.
06-13-2015, 04:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the 18-135 take care of this?
18mm gives basically the same field of view as the 28mm on a film body; is that wide enough?
135mm give basically the same field of view as a 210mm on a film body; is that long enough?

I'm keen on a wide angle and a good zoom.
If it's not wide enough and/or not long enough, you can maybe approach your problem differently. An ultrawide angle (that can be a zoom like DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or a prime like the DA15Ltd or Samyang 16/2.0), a standard prime (e.g. the DA35/2.4 or you existing A28) and e.g. the DA55-300 for the long end. The only possible problem that I see with this is that you basically only have the prime for family / children. If you can take those shots with the 50mm on a film body, that will not be an issue.
06-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
18mm gives basically the same field of view as the 28mm on a film body; is that wide enough?
135mm give basically the same field of view as a 210mm on a film body; is that long enough?

If it's not wide enough and/or not long enough, you can maybe approach your problem differently. An ultrawide angle (that can be a zoom like DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or a prime like the DA15Ltd or Samyang 16/2.0), a standard prime (e.g. the DA35/2.4 or you existing A28) and e.g. the DA55-300 for the long end. The only possible problem that I see with this is that you basically only have the prime for family / children. If you can take those shots with the 50mm on a film body, that will not be an issue.
Thanks Sterretje - I like your suggestions but wide lenses will have to be saved for. I am very tempted to get the bundled lenses - very usable, good to learn about what I really want. My 50mm manual prime is a gem and will be on the front for portraits and some still work. K5ii I think...