Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-3 or K-3II or wait?

Hi, in our country just started cashback for Pentax cameras (not k-3II), sadly with only half amoount than in other european countries
So, I have one half serious / half theoretical question - I know, its all about my CBA

I have 2 years old (20k shutter actuations) k5II(not s) and I'm satisfied with it. But with k-3 I will have better AF, no AA filter, two SD slots and more. And it saves me from buying new battery ($70), becouse they share same type So, if I want to buy new body, what you suggest me ?
1) K-3 for $975 (best price here ever, but no extra, no grip... - yes, price is way higher than in US)
2) K-3II for $1100 (it is very surprising, but this is about same price as in US )
3) wait for (I hope) upcoming new APS-C FLAGSHIP.
Why I'm asking? As I already posted in around here, prices of body here is quite high with very small tendency of decreasing. If new APS-C flagship will be over $1200 (here will be about 20% more expensive - with exception of latest K-3II) it will drop in US quite quickly (included free grip and so), but here it will retain its price tag on its own for another 1 year as in case of K-5IIs and K-3 (drop from $1500 to $1100 after 1.5 year and cash back after almost 2 years... and no extra grip or so). So it means, if release date is in spring 2016 - it takes about to half of 2017 to get price to $900-$1100 range, which is acceptable for me. So, my question is, do you thing it is worth to wait?

And another question. If I decide to buy new body now: Is new features of k-3II worth the $125 difference? (I have 2 p-ttl flashes so absence onboard is not big deal, but in other hand, I absolutely don't need gps or astrotracer).

What is real difference in improved SR and AF?

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

06-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I moved from a K5 to the new K3II and I must say I am impressed with the focus improvements. This alone makes the upgrade worth it.
06-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd just take the plunge and go for the K-3. It's well worth it in my opinion, as it literally builds on the K-5 in all key areas. You can learn more in our review.

As for the successor, nobody knows for sure but if history repeats itself, it will be released around a year after the K-3 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
mee
Site Supporter

I doubt we'll see a K-3ii replacement for at least one year from now. As long as you don't mind the loss of DR with the K-3ii over your K-5ii you should be fine. AAMOF, I'm considering the move myself once the K-3ii prices drop here in the USA. Still undecided simply because of the loss of DR... it appears to be about a stop difference... or, should I say, very significant to my shooting/processing style.

The Pentax FF will not be anywhere near this cheap for sure.. if they are releasing 2000+ USD lenses, one can surmise the camera body will be around that price too (if not more).

06-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jannis Quote
and I'm satisfied with it.
Wait?
06-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you are not in a hurry, wait. Buy a lens in the in between time. The lens will work great on your camera, on the next camera, it will not lose value as quickly as a camera, and can be sold at a relatively low loss (especially if you buy the lens second hand). Also, if you wait for some more cameras to be announced (which might take up to a year btw), all the other cameras should slowly go down in cost (whether its K-5IIs or K-3 or K-3II)

Is new features of k-3II worth the $125 difference?
Depends on your needs. If you do a lot of low light, slow shutter stuff, if you make large prints and need the extra megapickles.. then it might be money well spent. If you don't need that, don't bother.

What is real difference in improved SR and AF?
It is significant, if those functions are important to you. If you only shoot in daylight, or only use manual focus in studio settings, then don't bother paying extra for these features. But if you do low light AF-tracking? Then you might want it. Its difficult to say. Its a difference that someone who is really interested in this and uses it to the max would notice. But for most casual photography it might not be an essential upgrade, because the current/old version is good enough.
06-13-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

I have 2 years old (20k shutter actuations) k5II(not s) and I'm satisfied with it.
Well, there is your answer! You have been actively using your K-5II for two years and it does what you want. If you are not frustrated by things that the K-3 is reputably better at, then there is no need to upgrade.

Steve

(...waited seven years to upgrade from K10D to K-3...)
06-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Buy a lens in the in between time.
Or buy several lenses!

This is very good advice, particularly since your K-5II value used will likely stay about the same for the next year or so.

Steve

06-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks to all. As I said, the most part of my interest is CBA...

Only features that I really need to have on my camera and havent are: two SD slots (becouse I had once issue with my k-5ii that after event there is defective SD card - and no sloutch -SanDisk Extreme), so for safety reasons - auto backuping... And second thing, that limiting me, is too large AF points. Id like to have smaller one. Better AF tracking will be nice bonus too, but I donť use it quite often...

But, If I have 20k actuations on my k-5II - then I hope that it can serve me in about more two years.

Thanks for your comments.