Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
I just upgraded from a K200D to a K50, and also discovered that not everything was an upgrade. Don't misunderstand -- I don't want to go back -- but in many ways the K200D was a nicer camera than the K50, despite being in the same spot in the line-up.

I was chagrined to note that the reason for the flash pop-up move was because it is purely mechanical -- the camera seems to have no way to pop up the flash itself in auto mode. Am I missing an option, or is that a feature that is truly missing from this camera? Also, the flash catch and construction of the built-in flash seem much weedier compared to my K200D.
gee I hadn't noticed that yet. Surely in Night portrait mode or others it puts the flash up by itself? I rarely use anything but manual or Av so hadn't noticed that. Did you read it somewhere?

06-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Give it some time. You may find it more intuitive than you think. When I upgraded to the K30's and K5II it took me a while to get used to a lot of things but after a while I found it more comfortable than using my K-x.
06-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #18

I don't think it's possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
gee I hadn't noticed that yet. Surely in Night portrait mode or others it puts the flash up by itself? I rarely use anything but manual or Av so hadn't noticed that. Did you read it somewhere?
I have not been able to get the camera to pop up the flash by itself. Either auto or scn/"night scene portrait," set to manual focus (otherwise it won't take a picture), leaving the lens cap on, it does not pop up the flash. If it won't pop it up then by itself, I don't know when it would. It's not that big a deal -- one of the first things I shut off on my K200D (after the feeping) was auto-flash. I found it a little odd, though, that they would choose to leave that out.
06-16-2015, 05:43 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Give it some time. You may find it more intuitive than you think. When I upgraded to the K30's and K5II it took me a while to get used to a lot of things but after a while I found it more comfortable than using my K-x.
Oh, I can get used to the new placement, it will just make it hard to switch back and forth between cameras. Also I don't understand why Ricoh would choose to move the Same 4 buttons around in a different order. Just seems arbitrary and annoying.
Since I'll use the K50 more, soon it will be the Kx that seems "wrong". Still annoying.

06-16-2015, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
Since I'll use the K50 more, soon it will be the Kx that seems "wrong".
Yes, I still use my K-x, especially for occasions when small and cheap is good,
and I do have to think consciously about the buttons now,
rather than operating them instinctively.