Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 199
buttons moved from Kx to K50

I just got a K50, a small step up from my Kx, which I am keeping, partly for my husband to use. Anyway, I'm finding it quite aggravating that the buttons are in different places. Even on the 4 way button, the ISO, WB, flash and timer have been rotated. The flash up button is also in a different place, well I guess because it's a separate button on the K50, I can handle that, since I don't use it much. But why rotate around the 4 way? If I do another upgrade in a few years, is it going to be different again? Going to make it difficult to switch back and forth.

06-14-2015, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
I feel your pain. I use a k-3 and k-5IIs and while they are close they AF button was moved. Arguably the most used button on the camera. I really like the k-3 location, but moving back and forth on different cameras takes some getting used to.
06-14-2015, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I feel your pain. I use a k-3 and k-5IIs and while they are close they AF button was moved. Arguably the most used button on the camera. I really like the k-3 location, but moving back and forth on different cameras takes some getting used to.
Same here... I feel your pain but OTOH, I think it is smart move to improve instead of stuck in the old design (look at the Canikon models...)
06-14-2015, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Same here... I feel your pain but OTOH, I think it is smart move to improve instead of stuck in the old design (look at the Canikon models...)
True. The k-3 layout is very good. I've no complaints.

06-14-2015, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
I just got a K50, a small step up from my Kx, which I am keeping, partly for my husband to use. Anyway, I'm finding it quite aggravating that the buttons are in different places. Even on the 4 way button, the ISO, WB, flash and timer have been rotated.
I also added a K-50 to a K-x, and noticed the difference in the ISO button location.
However, it's usually not a problem, when I'm in Av mode on the K-50,
as I have the front wheel assigned to change the ISO.
06-14-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Same here... I feel your pain but OTOH, I think it is smart move to improve instead of stuck in the old design (look at the Canikon models...)
But why is rotating the 4 way buttons an improvement? All 4 are in a different place. (it's not even rotated, it's just moved) I get moving or adding a button, but this just seems arbitrary. Can you tell me if the buttons on a K3 or K5 like the K50? On K50 top is ISO, right is shutter, left is flash, bottom is WB.
06-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
On k-3 and k-5 series:
Top = Drive mode
Right = jpeg parameters
Left = White Balance
Bottom = Flash

Looks they are all moved I don't have a k-50 to compare.
06-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Looks they are all moved I don't have a k-50 to compare.
Ahem...

Compare camera dimensions side by side

06-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It takes a lot of clicks from there to get the back views.
06-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
It takes a lot of clicks from there to get the back views.
I'm sorry you have to click 3 times...
06-14-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,748
I believe we have to blame "Marc Newson" for this, as K-01 was the first K-mont camera with new layout (or perhaps they wanted to use the same layout as on Q).
On prior cameras most buttons had the same placement on entry level and advanced cameras (except for ISO-button that is a separate button on higher models)

http://camerasize.com/compact/#229,619,462,ha,b
06-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Missouri
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
On k-3 and k-5 series:
Top = Drive mode
Right = jpeg parameters
Left = White Balance
Bottom = Flash

Looks they are all moved I don't have a k-50 to compare.
Yep, not just moved but different 4 things. *sigh* Oh well, it will keep my mind sharp in my old age. (or drive me crazy )

---------- Post added 06-14-15 at 04:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm not sure what you are getting at? The dimensions don't bother me at all.
06-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,260
The K-S1 and K-S2 have the same layout as the K-50 on the 4-way controller. It looks like on bodies that don't have a separate ISO button use this layout.

On my K10D pressing the "OK" button allows me to change the ISO with the front eDial in all modes but Sv and TAv. I think this works with other bodies too.

---------- Post added 06-14-15 at 02:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote


I'm not sure what you are getting at? The dimensions don't bother me at all.
You can compare rear views of the various models side by side - click on the control panel on the left to change views.
06-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
Yep, not just moved but different 4 things. *sigh* Oh well, it will keep my mind sharp in my old age. (or drive me crazy )

---------- Post added 06-14-15 at 04:14 PM ----------


I'm not sure what you are getting at? The dimensions don't bother me at all.
That was for Jatrax. You can see the back of both cameras side by side...
06-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pekin, IL
Posts: 237
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantree Quote
. . . The flash up button is also in a different place, well I guess because it's a separate button on the K50 . . .
I just upgraded from a K200D to a K50, and also discovered that not everything was an upgrade. Don't misunderstand -- I don't want to go back -- but in many ways the K200D was a nicer camera than the K50, despite being in the same spot in the line-up.

I was chagrined to note that the reason for the flash pop-up move was because it is purely mechanical -- the camera seems to have no way to pop up the flash itself in auto mode. Am I missing an option, or is that a feature that is truly missing from this camera? Also, the flash catch and construction of the built-in flash seem much weedier compared to my K200D.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, button, buttons, camera, change, dimensions, drive, dslr, flash, iso, k-3 and k-5, k-s1 and k-s2, k50, kx, layout, photography, views
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
used Kx rattling when moved around. Stavri Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 04-13-2015 12:34 PM
Upgrade from K2000 to K50. Dewman Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 10-30-2014 06:16 PM
From K100DS to K50 Finally GerryL Pentax K-30 & K-50 8 04-22-2014 03:04 PM
Just moved from EOS to Pentax K3 BretW Welcomes and Introductions 17 12-05-2013 12:54 AM
KX buttons not working. PoisonedApple Visitors' Center 5 09-06-2011 10:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top