Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a soft tube pushed into the nozzle of the vac cleaner to clean dust out of the computer fans.
With 8mm bore, the velocity is low.
I used it on the old RB67 to clean out the bellows and mirror box after some restoration on the camera.
No esd problems so far!
RH in Michigan is still low, around 50% today

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-19-2015, 06:29 AM   #32

static charge counter measure

if one is really so concerned about static charge there is a way to prevent it from accumulating.
Use some metal mesh or grid in front of the opening. Connect it electrically to camera ground.
An easy way is to use the USB data cable. Its shield is camera ground.
Plug the small connector in the camera and connect the shield of the large usb connector to the metal grid.
The grid additionally acts as a protection against the VC hose entering the camera.
If any air would enter from the environment with much charge it will loose its charge when flowing through the metal grid.
Not my invention. The same principle is used the other way round in hot-air soldering stations that blow hot air onto components to solder them.
Before leaving the heating nozzle the air passes a grounded grid.
06-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I use a soft tube pushed into the nozzle of the vac cleaner to clean dust out of the computer fans.
With 8mm bore, the velocity is low.
I used it on the old RB67 to clean out the bellows and mirror box after some restoration on the camera.
No esd problems so far!
RH in Michigan is still low, around 50% today

I too use this combination - great! Please apologize my poor English. What acronym is RH?

I'm repairing - first cleaning old tube TVs, LED- and LCD-TVs, data projectors, vintage HiFi gear, keyboards, PCs (motherboads, graphic cards, fans), car radios, car's breaks and other hard stuff for years.
First thing: Get rid of the dust that has accumulated over years.
Inside I use a vacuum and eventually a soft brush, outside for the hard stuff , I use my 10bar compressor with an oil/moisture filter.
This first cleaning never did damage the patients. Maybe because - first think, then act.

Soldering and desoldering critical ICs quite is another thing. There you must be grounded.

The discussion about ESD in this case is, please apologize because I take you ESD-scaries seriously, ridiculous.
ESD is everywhere. Disembark your car under special conditions - autsch! So, don't touch your Pentax!
06-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wwortel Quote
if one is really so concerned about static charge there is a way to prevent it from accumulating.
Use some metal mesh or grid in front of the opening. Connect it electrically to camera ground.
An easy way is to use the USB data cable. Its shield is camera ground.
Plug the small connector in the camera and connect the shield of the large usb connector to the metal grid.
The grid additionally acts as a protection against the VC hose entering the camera.
If any air would enter from the environment with much charge it will loose its charge when flowing through the metal grid.
Not my invention. The same principle is used the other way round in hot-air soldering stations that blow hot air onto components to solder them.
Before leaving the heating nozzle the air passes a grounded grid.
Do you have any pictures of this setup?

06-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
To be honest, I'm a big fan of using a vacuum cleaner myself. Rocketblowers work too, but they just blow the dust around. The just then sits there in the mirrorbox waiting for the flapping mirror to stir it around again. I had one experience with the rocket blower where I had dust end up from the sensor to somewhere inside the VF optics. No, not on the focussing screen, somewhere inside the path behind that. It required a 2000w vacuum cleaner to remove it again. I think I had it at 75% power or something. Since then I'm a big fan of vacuum cleaners... And EVFs. LOL!

I've never noticed any static electricity generated by a vacuum cleaner. Don't get me wrong, it should be there, just never ever noticed it.

Forgot: Missile to rocket - simply my way of smart thinking!
06-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Do you have any pictures of this setup?
as per your request, shown with an old P30. The grid in this case is a protective grid as used in front of a small fan that cools electrical equipment. But any metal grid will do does not block the air to much.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
06-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wwortel Quote
as per your request, shown with an old P30. The grid in this case is a protective grid as used in front of a small fan that cools electrical equipment. But any metal grid will do does not block the air to much.

I didn't want to gave any further comment because this discussion is going far beyond physics.

Your solution @wwortel is quite brilliant. I do understand your thoughts. But it is absolutely unnecessary in terms of ESD.
But please, do not hold/near the nozzle directly to the grill. Please use a minimum of one cm distance.
06-21-2015, 05:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I use my thumb betwwen the vacuum spout and the mount on my camera as a thickness stop... (ducted vacuum)... my prefference is to ensure camera and vacuum spout are both touching my thumb..... effectively evening out the potential difference between them.....sort of happens any way as one hand will be holding the camera and the other the vacuum.

Never had a vacuum or blower cause static as posterised on here...... this is said with some experience over the years on various electronic equipment.

On the whole....I'd be more concerned about the carpet (or whatever) in your room a 100x over then air movement ESD!

Worth touching your hands, vacuum and camera chassi together before starting vacuum.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-21-2015 at 05:19 AM.