Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With EV comp applied the EV of the center should shift up or down according to the setting.
Since I didn't think it would work in M mode, I never tried to set EV comp. If I ever need it, I'll set it up. And just to clarify, I don't use the Green Button even with non A lenses.

06-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The K-01 does not, which I miss. It is very useful when using manual K glass in M mode where you use the green button to set the shutter speed. On the K-5, I can dial in any Ev Comp for those lenses and it then is having a real practical effect, whereas without that feature (like on the K-01) I need to manually move the exposure up or down every time I re-meter...
Right. And on the K-01 there's no TAv mode on the dial but you can get there with Auto ISO in M mode -- it even says "TAv" on the display when configured like that. But no EV comp in that mode was a limitation that I had a hard time living with.
06-16-2015, 04:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that one is a puzzle, though it has been thought to be an unintended side-effect of some hack intended to determine lens compatibility. One might argue that since Pentax made no K-mount lenses that would not short the data contact, this is no crime. I disagree and feel it is a dumb hack regardless of how many lenses are out there having non-conductive bases.

Steve
Ms once upon a time, I challenged Pentax on the lack of a teleconverter adjustment for focal length, metering and things like that, and their answer was that while they understood the problem, they had no requirement to make other lens manufacturers products work (better).

While I can understand the sentiment, to some extent, it would have been much easier to accept if Pentax made similar products. Sure why make it easy for the competition, etc..... But when it took them 8 years to come out with a TC (and no 2x at that) and ten years to come out with a 70-200/2.8 you have to wonder how much in terms of missed opportunity they have lost with the delay.

The bigger issue for me, on the lens mount material/functionality, is it was a functionality they took away.