Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #1

Switching between SD cards

Hi there,

I am using 2 SD on my K3, one is the Flashair wifi on slot one for normal shooting, the other one is normal SD on slot two, I use the Flashair for most of my shots.Suddenly one day when I try to transfer the photos to the cell phone I found the card empty, then later I found that I was actually shooting with SD #2, but I did change that intentionally, is that a quick way to switch cards other than the double button quick switch ? and it seems I can only shoot stills with SD1 or both at the same time I couldn't change that is that right ? the above problem only happens once.

06-18-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's no menu option to select the primary SD card (strangely). To force the camera to save to one card over the other, power the camera down, remove the card you don't want, power cycle the camera, and put the card back in. The camera will now save to the other card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes that's weird
06-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #4
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's no menu option to select the primary SD card (strangely). To force the camera to save to one card over the other, power the camera down, remove the card you don't want, power cycle the camera, and put the card back in. The camera will now save to the other card.
I discovered this (i.e., the difficulty in selecting which card to use first) on the first day I had my K-3. I ended up trying (and succeeding) "tricking" the cam into using my preferred card in slot #1 just as Adam described. At the time I just assumed that I hadn't yet discovered the menu setting that set this properly. It wasn't until a couple of days later (while I was still reviewing all the various menu options, simply trying to learn all the various K-3 ins and outs), that I remembered my first-day SD card problem, and I then realized that there simply did not seem to be any way provided to do what should have been such an obvious function to offer the user.
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Yes that's weird
Indeed !!!

The only thing I do now is to try to remember to never turn on my K-3 until I have first made a quick mental check as to whether I've remembered to return my card #1 to the cam after downloading pix to my PC (using the PC's card reader). [So far, if the cam is not turned on with slot 1 empty, it does not switch to slot #2 on its own.] This is a small extra mental step to have to perform, but it's pretty thoroughly learned by now, and I will gladly put up with having to remember this extra cautionary step in trade for the opportunity to be able to have two cards loaded into the K-3.

It surprises me that, first, the card choice was not originally provided as a menu option, and, second, it has not been added as a firmware upgrade (since, it would seem to me to be something that could be changed in firmware alone) (and, yes, I do know that not everything can be achieved with changes to firmware code).

Does the K-3 II have this option? (I've not heard it mentioned as one of the "II-compared-to-I" improvements.)

OK, as a final thought, just how do I get the K-3 to recognize the extra SD card stored in the "third slot" in the battery grip?

Last edited by fwcetus; 06-18-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: corect sum tiepos
06-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter

So I have a question about how the dual cards work if you can't choose the priority slot. Does the camera randomly place photos on either card or does it wait until one card is full and then start the other card?
06-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
So I have a question about how the dual cards work if you can't choose the priority slot. Does the camera randomly place photos on either card or does it wait until one card is full and then start the other card?
If you have it set to use the cards sequentially it will fill up one card before rolling over to the second card.
This behavior is regardless of which card it starts from.
So if it starts on 2 it will fill it up before it continues to write to 1.