Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Repaired by Precision

A few years ago I purchased a K5. Great camera. However, as I photograph in potentially dangerous areas, I like access to my peripheral vision and I went back to using my compose-from-screen camera. Yes, the K5 does have a 'live' feature, but it's not very pleasant to you.

Last year I was out shooting and noticed a black mark on the side of the photos (landscape.) Also I noticed that something inside the camera was moving around as I tilted the camera. The camera was NEVER dropped or banged hard...ever. I had an extended warranty on the camera and sent it in. It eventually ended up at Precision Camera Repair, the go-to for Pentax. I did not get a report of the problem, but talking to a photo repairman, he thought the stabilization mechanics were somehow loose. I got it back and took it out for a session and it seemed to work okay, so into the closet it went as I returned to my screen-shoot camera. Last week I dug out the K5 and as I was lifting it, noticed that noise was again present.

THe repair was out of warranty. Precision told me if I wanted to send it in, repairs would cost me upwards of $370. I can buy a used K5 for less than that. And why would I want to invest that much money sending it back to Precision if they were unable to fix it in the first place???

It's amazing how a $1K+ camera can plummet to being basically worthless.

06-18-2015, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They should stand behind the so called fix. I would raise you know what and threaten to put it on FB etc. Sometimes you get action.
06-18-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
Also I noticed that something inside the camera was moving around as I tilted the camera.
Your K-5 is supposed to make small clunking sounds when moved around with the camera turned off.* That is a characteristic of all Pentax cameras that have SR and is the sound of the non-suspended sensor assembly moving about. Assuming that the noise in your camera is the result of a failed repair, it appears that this all happened about a year ago. I can't see how Precision would be responsible for something done that far in the past. (Their warranty period for repairs is 90 days.)

Steve

* This may also occur when the camera is turned on and the motion is drastic (shaken).

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-18-2015 at 06:33 AM.
06-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #4

. I got it back and took it out for a session and it seemed to work okay, so into the closet it went as I returned to my screen-shoot camera. Last week I dug out the K5 and as I was lifting it, noticed that noise was again present.

THe repair was out of warranty. Precision told me if I wanted to send it in, repairs would cost me upwards of $370. I can buy a used K5 for less than that. And why would I want to invest that much money sending it back to Precision if they were unable to fix it in the first place???

It's amazing how a $1K+ camera can plummet to being basically worthless.
Is the black mark back? Noise from the sensor shifting when moving the camera is normal with all the Pentax SR cameras and especially apparent when switched off.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
They should stand behind the so called fix. I would raise you know what and threaten to put it on FB etc. Sometimes you get action.
They do stand behind their repairs with a 90 day warranty. If it's past that time you're S.O.L. What will posting on Facebook achieve if there is not a problem (e.g. normal sensor movement) other than make the poster look like a fool?

06-18-2015, 06:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

yep all my body's (K-7, K-5, K-3) do have that sound when moved around... and i was concerned when i first got my K-7... but reading that this is normal on this forum made me relaxed...
can you tell if it's the normal sound/movement or if it is something new? i could record the sound of the normal movement...if you like?
06-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is the black mark back? Noise from the sensor shifting when moving the camera is normal with all the Pentax SR cameras and especially apparent when switched off.

They do stand behind their repairs with a 90 day warranty. If it's past that time you're S.O.L. What will posting on Facebook achieve if there is not a problem (e.g. normal sensor movement) other than make the poster look like a fool?
Well I'll be darned, my K5 makes a noise when you shake it. I just never thought of shaking it before. I sure am glad it is normal or I would have sent it in to be fixed.
06-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They do stand behind their repairs with a 90 day warranty.
Yes; even though the camera had not been used in all that time after the warranty expired; how would they be expected to still honor a 90 day warranty.

It's best after a repair is done, is use the camera or lens for awhile, to make sure it has indeed been fixed. Then you are within the warranty period to send it back.

06-19-2015, 03:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am aware that Precision's warranty is only 90 days. Let me clarify this sound. when I tilt the camera (gently), there is a noticeable sound of something inside shifting around. My neighbor has the same camera and hers does not make this noise. I do not have a lens on the camera.

If indeed my camera is broken, what I'm questioning here is the competence of the repair. This camera has not been dropped or abused in any way. In fact, it has been sitting in a camera bag, in a closet for the past six months.

I guess I now have a $1100 paper weight.
06-19-2015, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

No, it's not an $1,100 paperweight, it's a $300 paperweight. That's closer to the going rate for a used K-5. But since you keep it in a closet anyway, it's a paperweight whether it's in working condition or not.
06-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #10

Does the camera work? Your complaints were the black mark on the images in landscape mode and the noise. You haven't replied if the black mark was fixed. Did that come back too?

Precision returns a list of what was replaced/done. What photo repairman did you talk to? Somebody at Precision? How familiar is he with Pentax DSLRs? Does he repair many of them?

All I have to do with my K10D is turn it from landscape to portrait while it is turned off and I can hear the sensor shift with a slight "klunK'. It only shifts on one plane - the same as the sensor. No sound if I tilt the lens up or down.

Note to that if dust removal at start up is enabled you'll hear a notable sound when you turn the camera on.

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-19-2015 at 08:05 AM.
06-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In fact, it has been sitting in a camera bag, in a closet for the past six months.
Well, I guess you got your six month's use out of it. If in those six months, it was holding down a stack of papers, it is hardly Precision's fault. My suggestion would be that you field test the camera. If it is not working properly (should be obvious), then it might look nice on the mantle. If it still works (high probable), then you should still be able to get your money's worth out of the camera. I got seven years of regular use out of my K10D before I sold it last year and expect that the new owner will get several more.

Steve
06-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can hear the sensor shift with a slight "klunK'
Yep, that describes it nicely.

Steve
06-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
To those of you who actually had some useful information to share, I do appreciate it and thank you.

And for those trolls who couldn't resist being the low-life that they truly are, I'm glad I was able to up your 'post' count a number or two.

Someone asked if the black mark is gone. I don't know. I'd have to put a lens on and process an image. I sold all my lenses. This was a horrible camera and I'd never buy another Ricoh/Pentax product. I was getting ready to sell this camera when I discovered that Precision did a shabby job of fixing it. I posted this as a warning to others who might send in gear to Precision. The camera was in the closet because I was using a far superior camera with much better glass than the Pentax lenses I had purchased, six of them. My neighbor has the same camera and we took off the lens and tried tipping hers in exactly the same manner...and there was no noise.

I was going to sell my K5 and buy an Olympus. I have been using Olympus lenses and they are amazing!
06-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To those of you who actually had some useful information to share, I do appreciate it and thank you.
You are very, very welcome. Enjoy your Olympus and when you sell your K-5, please be sure to inform the buyer that it is broken.

Steve

BTW...you don't need to have a lens mounted to check for the black spot.
06-21-2015, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #15

I was going to sell my K5 and buy an Olympus. I have been using Olympus lenses and they are amazing!
Yes, enjoy your Olympus. I don't think you've convinced any of the Pentax DSLR owners who read this thread that there is a problem with you camera. Especially since you haven't even turned it on and taken some shots since putting it away in the closet.

BTW: The address for Olympus Repair in the USA is
Olympus America Inc.
7 Anngina Drive
Enfield, CT 06082

Here is Precision Camera Repair's address:
Precision Camera
7 Anngina Drive
Enfield, CT 06082

Good luck getting your Olympus serviced.