Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Mixing Old With New

Hey All,
I was thinking about buying a used k1000 35mm of Ebay, there are plenty to choose from. I don't want the camera, just the 50mm 2.0 or 1.4 lens that usually comes with it. Seems like the ultra bargain for such a fast lens (most can be found for less $100) I know I won't be able to use auto focus but the trade off of being able to use lower ISOs in low lighting conditions make it very tempting. Anyone use the old standard lens on the K1000 on their k10d-20 or k100d/200?

Thanks in advance
Barry

06-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a A50 1:2 lens that I am using to force me to learn more about photography in general. It's been on my camera ever since it got back from the shop and I've been learning to spot meter+manual focus for the last day or so. So far it is a bit of a learning curve for me since I am now relying on myself to set things up rather than the camera. Here are the best of my feeble attempts so far:

06-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Hey All,
I was thinking about buying a used k1000 35mm of Ebay, there are plenty to choose from. I don't want the camera, just the 50mm 2.0 or 1.4 lens that usually comes with it. Seems like the ultra bargain for such a fast lens (most can be found for less $100) I know I won't be able to use auto focus but the trade off of being able to use lower ISOs in low lighting conditions make it very tempting. Anyone use the old standard lens on the K1000 on their k10d-20 or k100d/200?

Thanks in advance
Barry

Oh, you could say that.

Being able to use all the high-quality old Pentax glass on the new digital bodies is why many of us are Pentaxians in the first place. Especially the incredible 50mm variants available for less than $100 (some less than $50 .)

Check out this thread to see what you can look forward to - many of these old K, M, and A prime lenses outresolve current lenses, especially current zooms.

-----> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27739-m-club.html

06-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey All,

Thanks in advance
Barry
I wouldn't bother with an F2 50mm, they can be had for about $20. an F1.4 is another story, typically they go for about $50-$100 for K and M lenses, more for A lenses.

an A lens would be the best since you can use P-TTL flash with it.

Also note that with K and M lenses, the K10D specifically has a metering issue.

Overall older lenses work as well as you can expect. I have 8 Manual focus K mount lenses ranging from 24mm to 400 mm, plus a 70-210 zoom. Aside from metering, where you need to be careful, and check the histogram, I find manual lenses easy to use, and in many cases the image quality is excellent. If you go this route, I would recommend going for fast lenses.

Wide open, the F1.4 50mm will under expose bu 1-1.5 stops, and below F5.6 it over exposes by 1.5-2 stops.

I have tracked this down to the difference in focusing screens between the K10D and *istD which meters perfectly with K mount lenses.

Edit note; See the attached thread. Please excuse the title, the data is what is important

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/241716-post69.html

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 06-12-2008 at 09:15 AM.
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just Bought This

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I wouldn't bother with an F2 50mm, they can be had for about $20. an F1.4 is another story, typically they go for about $50-$100 for K and M lenses, more for A lenses.

an A lens would be the best since you can use P-TTL flash with it.

Also note that with K and M lenses, the K10D specifically has a metering issue.

Overall older lenses work as well as you can expect. I have 8 Manual focus K mount lenses ranging from 24mm to 400 mm, plus a 70-210 zoom. Aside from metering, where you need to be careful, and check the histogram, I find manual lenses easy to use, and in many cases the image quality is excellent. If you go this route, I would recommend going for fast lenses.

Wide open, the F1.4 50mm will under expose bu 1-1.5 stops, and below F5.6 it over exposes by 1.5-2 stops.

I have tracked this down to the difference in focusing screens between the K10D and *istD which meters perfectly with K mount lenses.

Edit note; See the attached thread. Please excuse the title, the data is what is important

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/241716-post69.html
Lowell,
Too late I just grabbed this off Ebay (in bold), the photos of the camera and lenses look good, like I said, not interested in the camera. anyone know anything about brand of the zoom? I might resell that. I paid $46.00 for everything

Pentax K1000 camera plus Pentax 50mm and Helinon 135mm lenses, 49mm neutral density filter and Helix 99A flash, circa early 1980s. Optics are in excellent shape, but the camera needs a tuneup: the frame counter and hot shoe are not working (though flash will still trip via wire connection) and the battery compartment cover and 50mm lens cap should be replaced. Case shows some scuffing from years of globetrotting. Owned by a boy who wanted to be a photographer for National Geographic and who actually did grow up to work for National Geographic...but not as a photographer! Flash wires and collapsible glare guard for 50mm lens are not shown but are also included.
06-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A full half, (8) of my 15 lenses are manual lenses. All except one are Pentax K or A lenses the lone exception being my well used Zenitar 16mm fisheye. I was shooting this year at the NYBG Orchid Show, and I met someone using a Pentax film camera (PZ-1 IIRC) He didn't know that the digital Pentax's were backwards compatible but the most amazing part of the story was that we were both shooting with the same lens! The Pentax K 50mm F1.2. He immediately went to his wife. "Hey honey! Look a this!" She started to roll her eyes and gave me such a glare!

NaCl(I don't think I promoted any domestic tranquility that day, on the other hand I probably sold a K10D or K20D )H2O
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell,
Too late I just grabbed this off Ebay (in bold), the photos of the camera and lenses look good, like I said, not interested in the camera. anyone know anything about brand of the zoom? I might resell that. I paid $46.00 for everything

Pentax K1000 camera plus Pentax 50mm and Helinon 135mm lenses, 49mm neutral density filter and Helix 99A flash, circa early 1980s. Optics are in excellent shape, but the camera needs a tuneup: the frame counter and hot shoe are not working (though flash will still trip via wire connection) and the battery compartment cover and 50mm lens cap should be replaced. Case shows some scuffing from years of globetrotting. Owned by a boy who wanted to be a photographer for National Geographic and who actually did grow up to work for National Geographic...but not as a photographer! Flash wires and collapsible glare guard for 50mm lens are not shown but are also included.
the 135 may be of interest for you. I use an SMC 135 f2.5 quite a bit for medium telephoto when I want to travel light. It is a lot smaller and lighter than my 70-200 F2.8 as well as 1/2 stop faster

06-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the 135 may be of interest for you. I use an SMC 135 f2.5 quite a bit for medium telephoto when I want to travel light. It is a lot smaller and lighter than my 70-200 F2.8 as well as 1/2 stop faster
Lowell,
Know anything bad or good about the brand name "Helinon"? I already have a Sigma 70-300mm zoom that is quite lightweight but the f-stop starts at only f4.0,
06-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lowell,
Know anything bad or good about the brand name "Helinon"? I already have a Sigma 70-300mm zoom that is quite lightweight but the f-stop starts at only f4.0,
Are you sure it's really "Helinon"? Not "Helion" or "Helios"? Got pictures of the lenses?
06-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

like I said, not interested in the camera.
I understand that you're not interested in a film camera, but I'm sure there must be others beside myself who have can't help but feel like a new mother when someone gratuitously offers the opinion that her baby is ugly.

Please consider going out and taking at least one roll of film with the camera and seeing the results before you sell it. At the worst you'll have a pleasant walk and at the best you'll discover a new friend.

In more direct answer to your question: lots of us love and make extensive use of the old lenses. As indicated earlier in the thread, the ability to make use of them (backwards compatibility) was the deciding factor in choosing Pentax over some other brand.
06-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Are you sure it's really "Helinon"? Not "Helion" or "Helios"? Got pictures of the lenses?
Go to Ebay and type in this item #320262542860 it will show you what I bought, think I got a good deal?
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shutterpuppy:

Positively, go for it! I have been acquiring old Pentax lenses at Ebay and other sources, with nice success. Like you, the attraction of using larger aperture and lower ISO initially got me thinking. But after acquiring many old lenses, each with its own personality, I now seek out older lenses for a variety of reasons. Here is a shot with the 50mm M 1.4. Please excuse the post processing I have done with it. I am just starting to learn how to use Lightroom and fear I’m probably doing more harm than good to the Raw images this early in the learning curve.

Regards,

Ernest

Humanity subdues inhumanity, as water does fire.”

Mencius 6A:18

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 08-31-2008 at 07:42 AM.
06-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice shot Jewell, I was thinking more of the lines of perhaps using faster shutter speeds when shooting fireworks next month, with the 10MP sensor, I should be able to crop very tight since it's just a 50mm lens, add shake reduction and I'm a happy camper

Barry

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Shutterpuppy:

Positively, go for it! I have been acquiring old Pentax lenses at Ebay and other sources, with nice success. Like you, the attraction of using larger aperture and lower ISO initially got me thinking. But after acquiring many old lenses, each with its own personality, I now seek out older lenses for a variety of reasons. Here is a shot with the 50mm M 1.4. Please excuse the post processing I have done with it. I am just starting to learn how to use Lightroom and fear I’m probably doing more harm than good to the Raw images this early in the learning curve.

Regards,

Ernest

Humanity subdues inhumanity, as water does fire.”

Mencius 6A:18
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Code:
"I was thinking more of the lines of perhaps using faster shutter speeds when shooting fireworks next month, with the 10MP sensor,"

Creative Photography

How to Photograph Fireworks Displays

Photographing fireworks - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum

Photographing Fireworks with a Digital Camera by Jon Sienkiewicz
06-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Code:
"I was thinking more of the lines of perhaps using faster shutter speeds when shooting fireworks next month, with the 10MP sensor,"

Creative Photography

How to Photograph Fireworks Displays

Photographing fireworks - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum

Photographing Fireworks with a Digital Camera by Jon Sienkiewicz
Jewell, thanks for the links, I only wish Pentax had added the illuminated top panel LCD on the K200d like they did with the K10 and K20 ,makes checking exposures much easier to read in low light situations.