Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 12:10 AM   #1

Best WiFi SD for K3

Hi there,

I tried few made of WiFi SD on the K3, I have not tried the special made Flucard, I now using the Flashair by Toshiba, since I don't need live view and remote control but file transfer so any cards will do. I first used the Eyefi and it is the most powerful WiFi SD of all, I can transfer files across great distance, but I must first register an online a/c that's I don't want, and when I use it on a 3G Android tablet, for unknown reason the app always upload a copy of the photos to the online album it seems can't turn off.

I also tried the Transcend but it no longer officially supported, the good thing about it is I can get auto preview on the tablet... I now 'stuck' with Flashair, the good thing about it is it can transfer any files beside photos (via web), I can use it as a general wifi storage device, but the bad thing is it is so hard to connect, even when connected it will pause regularly during transfer, and some times will disconnect and reconnect to nearby hotspot. I don't know it is my HTC or a flaw in the design that keeps it searching for available network and connect to the strongest one, after numerous s/w and firmware update nothing changed, it still take long time to connect and download the files, I can only speed it up by download in a hotspot-less location, any comment ?

06-19-2015, 02:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
EyeFi now has Mobi Pro. It does not require online registration or logon just to change simple settings.
It can do most everything that the Eyefi X2 Pro could do. At least it does everything I need.

Connection seems more reliable and easier as well... but EyeFi's supporting software and documentation still reminds me of something created by a weekend highschool intern. (i.e. it is truly horrible).

I don't know if anything will solve your wifi disconnect/connect issues. The SD card must time out at some point to save your camera batteries. How your connecting devices (laptop, iPhone, HTC, etc...) handles reconnection can make this a real Pain In The Arse!
When at home, I have to make my laptop "Forget" all wireless devices so that it does not auto-reconnect to the home wireless.
06-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an X2 pro. It does what I need it to.

I strongly suggest trying out Shuttersnitch if it's available for your device. It's very handy, if a bit of a pain to get set up initially.
07-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
My Flashair seems just dead, it keeps disconnecting after few minutes and even lock up the camera, then I put back the Transcend but it too has problem, I tried to transfer a hundred something photos but never succeed, it reset after 20 done, and the handgrip on my K3 became warm to touch, I pop out the card and it was so hot I can barely hold it !! Wifi SD is not a long term solution, it is not reliable due to the small size and the heat generated, at least not suitable for out door use in hot weather. For all the cards I used only the Eyefi and Transcend came with card reader, due to the powerful wifi radio in use, a standard card reader on notebook simply could not provide the power to run and read it. It seems there is no 'handshaking' mechanism between the card and the tablet/PC to control the wifi radio power output, so that it always run at full power and killing the battery quick.

07-23-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok my once in a lifetime shots are gone due to the faulty Flashair, I took a series of shots and I examined after each, but at the end the display shows "the image can not be displayed" and all gone !! from now on I save to both card, a backup regular SD that hard to fail, the Flashair is half junk to me !!
07-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like Mobi Pro but the support is absolutely terrible. The desktop software just crashes and I keep getting replies from them asking the same questions over and over again with no resolution in sight. Why they can't just fix the software is beyond me..

Thanks

Randy
08-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #7

Original Poster
My flashair is near dead now, it took long time to provide an 'ip address' after connected to my phone, I can not download the files, and it randomly disconnect in the middle of download, I know the phone Android system is half to blame, it should stay connected to the card and stop scanning for nearby hotspot and switch to it. Since I don't have the fund for the K1 yet I've to stick with add-on WiFi SD, I will have to purchase another one and live with the trouble !