Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K3 II sensor shift

I've managed to get some sensor shift images on to the Pentax software, one is 133mb and the same without sensor shift is 32mb. When I increase the magnification, some parts of the picture are smooth and some are heavily pixelated. I realise that any movement during the exposure will spoil things and parts of the outdoor still life may have moved but the results are very patchy. Has anyone tested the effect?

06-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I've managed to get some sensor shift images on to the Pentax software, one is 133mb and the same without sensor shift is 32mb. When I increase the magnification, some parts of the picture are smooth and some are heavily pixelated. I realise that any movement during the exposure will spoil things and parts of the outdoor still life may have moved but the results are very patchy. Has anyone tested the effect?
I don't own a K3 II, but you will certainly get best results shooting a fairly static scene using a tripod. The camera is taking four images and trying to stack them and if there is much movement in the scene you will get artifacts wherever things move.
06-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took a photo of a bunch of houses with some trees in the foreground the other day. There was a light breeze, and even that was enough to ruin parts of the image. The bottom line: make sure everything is stationary, including your setup and the scene

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used a tripod, 2 second delay, manual focus and exposure and a remote release. The 2 second delay lifts the mirror instantly.

06-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Can someone please test the idea of taking a 4-part pixel shiftshot immediately followed by a single fifth "normal" RAW shot. Then in pp using the normal shot to burn in where pixel shifting has gone wonky.

I ask this because I am working towards buying another body real soon, so I wanna know I postponing is a good idea. At the moment I am favouring the K-S2, but every month is another price drop!
06-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Can someone please test the idea of taking a 4-part pixel shiftshot immediately followed by a single fifth "normal" RAW shot. Then in pp using the normal shot to burn in where pixel shifting has gone wonky.

I ask this because I am working towards buying another body real soon, so I wanna know I postponing is a good idea. At the moment I am favouring the K-S2, but every month is another price drop!
This is a very good idea and hopefully there will be software that enables this workflow soon -- you shouldn't need that fifth shot. The pixel shift raw contains four separate fields, uncombined until converted into jpeg or tif or whatever your desired format is. It should be possible to use one of those fields in the raw file, demosaic it traditionally, then selectively paint that over the artifacted portion of the pixel shift image.

I agree it would be really nice.
06-21-2015, 02:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

My understanding is that the "RAW" shot contains within it four RAW files, that's why it is so big. You should be able to split the file after the fact and choose one of the four images, using Pentax's DCU program they send with the camera. You could then combine it with you pixel shifted image in Photoshop, or wherever.
06-21-2015, 03:08 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can just use one of the frames from the RAW file as its own image. More work than it's worth IMO, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
It should be possible to use one of those fields in the raw file, demosaic it traditionally
Yes, the first image is a straight shot that may be converted directly. That is the fail-over with Adobe products which (correctly) identify the DNG as non-compliant.

Steve
06-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It seems that there needs to be a convenient way to replace areas pixelated by movement with info from a single exposure if this tech is to be useful in the field shooting anything but rocks [that don't roll].