Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Battery Grip K100D

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey Guys, I'm wondering if you can help me out...

I really want a battery grip for my k100d, as When you get a flash, and lens, and a gary fong diffuser on the camera, it get awkward, especially for portraits.

I see three options on ebay...

Option 1) Dicain Vertical Shutter:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380035307857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

I like that this one matches the body so well and that it has the shutter release in it, but it seems expensive for not adding any battery power...is it worth it?

Option 2) Gadget Infinity Battery Grip http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170228398237&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

I like that it offers both release and extra power, but loose cables make it look cheap, and I'm not quite sure how well the design would look with the camera or how ergonomic this grip actually is.

Option 3) Battery Griphttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140240693347&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004
This one is much much cheaper than all the rest, but I'm not sure how great the battery power is if it is any good at all, and there is no shutter release.

See my dilemma? Can anyone provide reviews if they have used the grip or pictures of your cameras with any of these grips? Is there another option I'm missing? All help is much appreciated. Thanks!

06-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #2

My biggest gripe, and about the only thing I'm not crazy about on my K100D, is how quickly it sucks the life from NiMH batteries. I've looked at the grips you're talking about, and unless it adds battery power(the first one doesn't), I don't want it. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the opteka/ownuser grips (like the second one on your list) don't look like they would last very long.

I saw a grip from a European manufacurer that looks like the third one you list, and the manufacturer seems legit, they make a variety of rechargeable batteries, but I couldn't figure out any way to purchase one here in the U.S.A. The name of the company was something like anselmann, or hanselmann or something, but I don't have a link to it right now. I believe that Targus or another distributor has actually started distributing these grips here in the U.S.A. but they only carry the nikon and canon versions, so I can't speak to how good they are, since I'm still waiting for them to distribute the pentax k100d version here.

The Dicain grip is supposed to be pretty good(at least the one for the Sony A100 was supposed to be good), if you only need a vertical grip and shutter release and not the extra battery power.
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@brothereye, the company is called Ansmann and they make very high quality products. I know because I bought a charger made by them. Really expensive, but then it should be, it's built like a tank, and then some.

Here's the link to the battery back: ANSMANN AG: Battery Grip P-100 for Pentax K100 No shutter release on the grip, though.
06-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #4

That's it! Ansmann! Thank you! Now if only someone here in the U.S.A. would start distributing the K100D grip, I would gladly buy one. When I first saw the grip, I did some research and it appears that Ansmann makes a variety of products. Aside from the Nikon and Canon grips, their array of RC model batteries is available and apparently pretty popular with RC modelers here as well. That's why I was excited when I found the grip, but then disappointed when I couldn't figure out some way to get one. For awhile I kept watching eBay to see if an international seller would pop-up selling one of the Ansmann grips, but I kind of gave up after I didn't have any luck for awhile. I had seen the other grips on eBay, but after reading about the Ansmann I knew that was what I wanted, so I decided to just save my money and wait for a P-100 to come along.

06-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

There's no shutter/aperture control wheel on the grip for the K100D, which, makes it unless.

Limited edition K100D grip

06-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That is probably the ugliest grip I've ever seen...
06-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

makeall from korea has a control grip for the 1x0d series that i'm trying to get my hands on.. no luck so far.

06-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
makeall from korea has a control grip for the 1x0d series that i'm trying to get my hands on.. no luck so far.
I don't think I've seen the makeall, does it look better than ownuser? Or does it also use the dangly cords to connect the grip shutter release and power to the connectors for camera's ac and remote ports?
06-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Duh_Vinci was working on a prototype grip for the K100/110D.

Project K100D/110D DIY grip - Part I

Hey guy.... any updates???
06-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
That's it! Ansmann! Thank you! Now if only someone here in the U.S.A. would start distributing the K100D grip, I would gladly buy one.
On German ebay (eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerstücke, Sportartikel und mehr ? alles zu günstigen Preisen) you will find several sellers, who will deliver worldwide. Given the fact, that I have bought from US-based ebay sellers without problems, it should work the other way round quite as easily.

Ansmann is a highly regarded name in everything batteries. There chargers, for example, have won acclaim in the photo press for years as the most reliable and innovative solution. Nevertheless they also buy-in products from China etc. and re-bvrand them. So it is quite possible, that the battery grip from Jinfinance is the same. I have bought once from Jinfinance and got good service, by the way.

Ben
06-13-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mapexdrummer17 Quote
Hey Guys, I'm wondering if you can help me out...

I really want a battery grip for my k100d, as When you get a flash, and lens, and a gary fong diffuser on the camera, it get awkward, especially for portraits.

I see three options on ebay...

Option 1) Dicain Vertical Shutter:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380035307857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025
I once had a Dicain shutter grip for my istDS. So the design was quite o.k. the materails used, i.e. the plastics was of such a poor quality, that it broke right during its initial mounting to the camera. All the screws came loose from the plastic, because it simply broke away at even modestforce. I repaired it with a JP Weld equivalent and it worked better, but I always waited for it to completely crumble to dust... I woudl never buy anything from Dicain again.

Ben
06-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here is one on ebay:

battery grip for Pentax K100D Samsung GX100 - eBay (item 140240693347 end time Jun-18-08 15:43:15 PDT)

No vertical shutter release though. It seems all the nicer looking grips are battery only and the ones with shutter release have external cables. The one here though looks to have a built in Li-Ion battery which they state is good for 2000 shots. While it would help with the overall weight of the camera mechanically it looks like the battery door slides into a slot and remains open. I can't help but think that if something goes wrong you would snap the battery door cover off by accident. If someone else wants to give a go let us know!
06-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
No vertical shutter release though. It seems all the nicer looking grips are battery only and the ones with shutter release have external cables. The one here though looks to have a built in Li-Ion battery which they state is good for 2000 shots. While it would help with the overall weight of the camera mechanically it looks like the battery door slides into a slot and remains open. I can't help but think that if something goes wrong you would snap the battery door cover off by accident. !
I think, you're right, the battery door would simply be ripped off, if an accidents happens. But it is exactly the same with those shutter grips, where the door over the connectros has to be open. That always unnerved me a bit with the Dicain grip on the istDS, though at least it has a plastic cover over the open door.

Ben
06-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Here is one on ebay:

battery grip for Pentax K100D Samsung GX100 - eBay (item 140240693347 end time Jun-18-08 15:43:15 PDT)
If someone else wants to give a go let us know!
All right, I will step up and take a hit for the team, rise to the challenge, etc. This is fairly inexpensive at around $60 and I figure that as long as it doesn't crumble to dust or catch on fire, I can always take it apart if it quits working and put new batteries in it. Who knows I might feel creative and motivated and modify it to take AA's if it quits on me.

I've ordered and paid, now it's only a matter of waiting. After I have it and check it out, I will post a review/opinion and some photos for the curious.

Last edited by brothereye; 06-13-2008 at 07:42 AM.