Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-5 or K-5iis

Hey everybody just joined the forums. Been debating between the K-5 and the K-5iis. Currently I use a Sony A5000 adapted to take good ol Pentax glass, and I have a K30 that I use mainly for my stills. The Sony adapter has been a pain lately so I was looking at getting a used dslr. The K-5 is 300 used from B and H but the K-5iis is I think $400 from Adorama used. Any opinions on the video quality and usage on both would be great and if the image quality will be a big jump from my K-30.
Thanks

06-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Is your question specifically about video? Or are you wanting to know about still images?

If the latter my choice would be the IIs between those two, but with the prices of K3's like they are, I would jump on that in no time. I jumped from a K5 to a K3 and aside from more resolution I saw a huge difference in lens performance merely because of the AF improvements.
06-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't use the video, but the ability to use a grip, quiet shutter, overall build quality, great battery life, the lack of an AA filter, and a few of the controls make the K-5iis an easy choice for me. You'll make nice pictures with both, but I personally love a grip, and I've really gotten used to the build quality on my K-3, and the K-5iis is very similar in that area. If I had gotten my hands first on a K-5iis, I probably would have stuck with that, and never gave the K-3 a go.
06-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
mee
Site Supporter

IIRC, the video features are more modern in the K-30 than in the K-5 and K-5II, you'd have to go for a K-3 to get 'above' a K-30 in video. Well.. there is one added feature for the K-5/K-5ii and that is the microphone jack. But video formats.. the K-30 is newer.

One thought is shake reduction.. I'm not totally sure on this but I think the K-5 could use SR in video.. again I could be wrong on that but it might be something to look into.

06-20-2015, 05:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks

Okay, from the sounds of it I'll most likely go for the K-5iis since I only have $450 to spend currently. The video quality would be nice but if the K-30 has better video than I might make it my main video rig. Anybody have a good experience with the mic jacks or anything. Is the K3 really worth another $300 though?