Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

current *ist DL user looking to upgrade to K-50. had some questions!

hello everyone!!

with the recent great deals on the K-50, i think i am finally going to make the purchase.

i just need to purchase the body as i have all the lenses, accessories, etc.. that i will use from the *ist DL (pentax 18-55, sigma 70-300, pentax 50 1.4 prime, pentax AF360 flash).

had a few questions for the experts:

1. how is this for sports photography? 6 FPS seems pretty fast and good enough right?

3. does the body only come with an original LI-IO battery? if not, should i buy the LI-IO or should i just use the sanyo eneloops from my *ist DL? which one will last longer? if i go with LI-IO, do i go with OEM or is aftermarket ok?

4. i plan on just using the 18-55 kit lens from my *ist DL as my everyday lens as i really like it a lot still. is there any difference between this lens and the one that comes with the k-50 kit other than that 18-55 lens is weatherproof? if money was no object, i would get the pentax 18-135. what about sigma or tamron 18-135 alternatives? what is the best deal right now that they are going for? even used would be acceptable. i would consider that as an option depending on the price.

i look forward to hearing back from the experts on your recommendations.

thank you.

06-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
3. does the body only come with an original LI-IO battery? if not, should i buy the LI-IO or should i just use the sanyo eneloops from my *ist DL? which one will last longer? if i go with LI-IO, do i go with OEM or is aftermarket ok?
Pentax K-50 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
"Battery: D-LI109 lithium-ion rechargeable or 4 x AA with optional battery holder D-BH109"
I guess it comes with its own battery (i think in most countries it has to). Either way it is a good idea to use a brand new battery, because batteries lose power over some years, even rechargeable ones. This can cause some annoyances

4. i plan on just using the 18-55 kit lens from my *ist DL as my everyday lens as i really like it a lot still. is there any difference between this lens and the one that comes with the k-50 kit other than that 18-55 lens is weatherproof? if money was no object, i would get the pentax 18-135. what about sigma or tamron 18-135 alternatives? what is the best deal right now that they are going for? even used would be acceptable. i would consider that as an option depending on the price.
Do you have this lens? SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
It seems that around 2008 the updated version came out, which was still available with the K-50. Getting the WR version is a good idea either way, because it is the most inexpensive way to get a WR lens for your WR camera (both need to be WR if you want to use them in poor weather).
Tamron makes a popular 17-50mm lens (better optics than the Pentax kit lens). But Tamron and Sigma do not make WR lenses, as far as I know. Try finding the K-50 bundled with the 18-135mm, then the lens comes at a much lower price, than buying it separately. It is a decent lens and has a good zoom range.
06-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
npc
Veteran Member

Yes, it comes only with the custom battery (D-LI109) and charger for it. No AA batteries or a charger for them are included in the standard package. I can't speak from personal experience, but a friend of mine who has K-50 told me he is getting much better battery life if he uses quality AA rechargeable batteries.

4. i plan on just using the 18-55 kit lens from my *ist DL as my everyday lens as i really like it a lot still. is there any difference between this lens and the one that comes with the k-50 kit other than that 18-55 lens is weatherproof? if money was no object, i would get the pentax 18-135. what about sigma or tamron 18-135 alternatives?
The newer kit lens ( DA 18-55 AL II and the WR one) are supposed to be updated and little better than the old kit lens. When my k-x was stollen I had some other lens on it , so later I got a good deal on k-5 with the WR kit lens so I compared these two and indeed the WR was little better, so I sold the other. As 18-135 alternative I woud suggest to look for an used sigma 18-200 or a tamron 18-200 or 18-250 (but non of them is WR) - quiality wise they are about the same sa the kit lens, so if you liek it - you will like them as well. But because of that - unless you are looking into carrying just one lens instead of 18-55 + 70-300 I don't think it makes much sense to get any of these.
06-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

I have answered this post on DPR a few minutes ago

06-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
I have answered this post on DPR a few minutes ago
Some people may be unfamiliar with what DPR means.
06-20-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-50 is going to be a huge upgrade over the ist DL, so you will be very happy with it. I also recommend that you upgrade your lens. The Pentax 18-135mm is a really good choice, especially if you already enjoy your existing 18-55mm.

You will definitely get more battery life if you use lithium AA's, but with rechargeable AA's you'll be close to the standard battery. I'd recommend just sticking with what the camera comes with and make having the AA battery holder as a backup for longer trips.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pentax K-50 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
"Battery: D-LI109 lithium-ion rechargeable or 4 x AA with optional battery holder D-BH109"
I guess it comes with its own battery (i think in most countries it has to). Either way it is a good idea to use a brand new battery, because batteries lose power over some years, even rechargeable ones. This can cause some annoyances

Do you have this lens? SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
It seems that around 2008 the updated version came out, which was still available with the K-50. Getting the WR version is a good idea either way, because it is the most inexpensive way to get a WR lens for your WR camera (both need to be WR if you want to use them in poor weather).
Tamron makes a popular 17-50mm lens (better optics than the Pentax kit lens). But Tamron and Sigma do not make WR lenses, as far as I know. Try finding the K-50 bundled with the 18-135mm, then the lens comes at a much lower price, than buying it separately. It is a decent lens and has a good zoom range.
the 18-55 lens that i have came with the *ist DL kit when i purchased it back in 2006 so it is not the updated version.

even though it is important to some, the WR is of very little concern to me because i do not take my dslr out in poor weather.

even with the bundled 18-135, the cheapest i found was about $650 which is more than what i would want to spend right now.

are there any good alternatives in sigma or tamron that are much cheaper than the pentax 18-135?

thanks for your comments.

i appreciate it very much.

---------- Post added 06-20-15 at 10:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Yes, it comes only with the custom battery (D-LI109) and charger for it. No AA batteries or a charger for them are included in the standard package. I can't speak from personal experience, but a friend of mine who has K-50 told me he is getting much better battery life if he uses quality AA rechargeable batteries.

The newer kit lens ( DA 18-55 AL II and the WR one) are supposed to be updated and little better than the old kit lens. When my k-x was stollen I had some other lens on it , so later I got a good deal on k-5 with the WR kit lens so I compared these two and indeed the WR was little better, so I sold the other. As 18-135 alternative I woud suggest to look for an used sigma 18-200 or a tamron 18-200 or 18-250 (but non of them is WR) - quiality wise they are about the same sa the kit lens, so if you liek it - you will like them as well. But because of that - unless you are looking into carrying just one lens instead of 18-55 + 70-300 I don't think it makes much sense to get any of these.
i agree that getting a 18-200 pretty much is covered by the 18-55 / 70-300.

do you know if sigma or tamron even make a 18-135?

thanks

---------- Post added 06-20-15 at 10:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-50 is going to be a huge upgrade over the ist DL, so you will be very happy with it. I also recommend that you upgrade your lens. The Pentax 18-135mm is a really good choice, especially if you already enjoy your existing 18-55mm.

thanks adam for the feedback. i appreciate it very much. right now due to other expenses that i have, i a going to hold off on getting the 18-135mm at the moment and just purchase the camera body. i would consider a 3rd party lens in this range if i can find one of equal perfomance and much cheaper than the pentax version.

You will definitely get more battery life if you use lithium AA's, but with rechargeable AA's you'll be close to the standard battery. I'd recommend just sticking with what the camera comes with and make having the AA battery holder as a backup for longer trips.
great idea. i'll purchase a battery holder on ebay for cheap.

what are your thoughts though on aftermarket LI-IO batteries? are they generally not as good as the original pentax brand? the original pentax LI-IO battery for this camera is quite pricey i believe.

---------- Post added 06-20-15 at 10:58 PM ----------

which LI-IO battery comes with the camera?

is it 1400MAH or 2000MAH?

i noticed that they sell both of these versions on ebay.

---------- Post added 06-20-15 at 11:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

thanks adam for the feedback. i appreciate it very much. right now due to other expenses that i have, i am going to hold off on getting the 18-135mm at the moment and just purchase the camera body. i would consider a 3rd party lens in this range if i can find one of equal performance and much cheaper than the pentax version.

06-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The lens set you already own will work great on the new K50. With the upgraded sensor your lenses will seem brand new. Buy the K-50 body and enjoy.

Lately I've been shooting an F 35-70 zoom on my K5 and it takes beautiful photos easily as nice as the 18-135. But, its an older lens and uses that "noisy" screwdrive to focus with so everyone knows you have to get the newer lens to be happy.

Because of the rampant GAS I sometimes feel that these forums are specifically designed to part people from their money with unnecessary purchases.
06-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I up graded from my DL to a K-30. I found that the lenses that were good on the DL the K-30 tends to show their short comings more. That includes the 18-55 that came with my DL. You may find that the lenses that you like on the DL's CCD 6 mp sensor leaves you wanting more. I ended up purchasing a couple of new lenses for that reason. The 18-55 is still used on the DL mostly . Then again that may just be me and my copy of the DA18-55 AL
I think you will be happy with the upgrade but there is a bit of learning curve since the K50 has more features and abilities .
On the Batteries... I have the Pentax AA adapter as well as an A/M battery. I just purchased the After market battery from Adorama ,and just put it in the K-30 so I do not know how it will hold up . Others will need to answer that .

Last edited by patrick9; 06-20-2015 at 09:25 PM. Reason: grammar
06-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I up graded from my DL to a K-30. I found that the lenses that were good on the DL the K-30 tends to show their short comings more. That includes the 18-55 that came with my DL. You may find that the lenses that you like on the DL's CCD 6 mp sensor leaves you wanting more. I ended up purchasing a couple of new lenses for that reason. The 18-55 is still used on the DL mostly . Then again that may just be me and my copy of the DA18-55 AL
I think you will be happy with the upgrade but there is a bit of learning curve since the K50 has more features and abilities .
On the Batteries... I have the Pentax AA adapter as well as an A/M battery. I just purchased the After market battery from Adorama ,and just put it in the K-30 so I do not know how it will hold up . Others will need to answer that .
which lens do you use the most on your k-30?
06-21-2015, 04:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't have any Sigma or Tamron zoom lenses, but feel free to check the user reviews:
Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

These reviews are subjective, but generally give you a good idea of real world usage
06-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

which lens do you use the most on your k-30?
Tough question. Depends on what I am doing. The Tamron 90 Macro is on there a lot of the time. I am learning my newest lens the DA 35 f2.4 AL, so at the moment It is living there. A lot of times I have at least one zoom with me as well. Most of the time it is either a Promaster 28-70 or Promaster 28-105. Depending on where I am going and what I think I will encounter. I do carry the 18-55 occasionally as well.
I just checked my bag to see what I had carried last weekend. The DA 35 AL is on the K-30. The Tamron 90 and the DA18-55 AL are in the bag. with the Promaster 28-70 on the DL.
The DA18-55 AL is not a bad lens I just think it shows better on the DL than on the K-30 . On the k-30 I usually drop the exposure a bit when I use it . As you see I do still use it . I have shots hanging in my den taken with it on both bodies .