Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
k10d and some lens..broke down

So I have had a k10d and the kit lens. I am in New York today and will be leaving for a good six months to somewhere will I probably won't have much access to camera equipment.

Today I bought a Pentax 18-250mm and a FA 50mm 1.4

Is this a good setup for a beginner? I did I splurge too much..I came into this camera thing looking for a cheap way but have ended up sending a good 580+460+200=a lot of money.

Second of all...My camera still seems to underexpose everything. I know it is still probably me but could it be the camera?

Now I am thinking about buying a mac before i leave too..heh..

Thanks.

06-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
forgot to mention i had returned the kit lens.
06-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That's a very good setup for a beginner. I'm a beginner as well and made the mistake of getting too many lens early on. Now I'm figuring out which ones I really use. At any rate from what I have read the 18-250mm is a good lens, on par with the kit lens (which is to say a very solid lens in the whole lens universe). I own the FA 50mm 1.4 and have found it to be excellent, especially for the money. So, I'd recommend that you play around with the setup that you have and get a feel for what you want to shoot and get some skill with the camera settings. With some practice you might find that you need a wider lens or something faster in a different focal length and the experience will allow you to make a better judgment about what which lens is best for your needs.

As for the K10D underexposing. I find that for mine it will tend to do that a bit when I use multi-segment metering. This exposure is usually fine and if you shot in RAW since you can get about a +/- 1 stop leeway for exposure adjustment without sacrificing image quality too much. As I have improved my skills I tend to use spot or center weighted metering and am smarter about which part of the shot to base my exposure on. If there isn't anything that is close to a medium intensity (18% gray) then I'll set the exposure compensation accordingly and meter off of something in the scene of that intensity. You might also play around with manual exposure settings. After some practice I've found that I'm a better judge of exposure than the camera for certain types of lighting.

Now go out and enjoy your new camera and lenses!
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Would the low end flash be a good investment for overkill?

06-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Post up some shots using the 50mm f/1,4

cheers
06-13-2008, 09:26 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by TangentReq Quote
....Second of all...My camera still seems to underexpose everything. I know it is still probably me but could it be the camera....
When one of my K10D bodies came back from Pentax repair (focus problem), it consistently underexposed every shot, no matter what the light, meter mode, or other conditions. Before that, exposure was pretty accurate. So if ALL your shots are underexposed, I'm inclined to think it's the camera. That's somewhat correctable with exposure compensation and shooting RAW. I mostly shoot in AV mode and have set exposure compensation at +.7. That pretty much fixed the problem but if I need to do any tweaking of the exposure, I do that in the RAW converter. But I think it's best to get the exposure as accurate as possible in the camera rather than rely on post-capture processing.

Be patient. This stuff takes time to learn. I've been a working photographer (now semi-retired) for over 50 years but I tell you truly, not a day goes by that I don't learn something new. And some of that is from posts on this great forum.

Richard