Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I still recommend it. The 17-70 would be an awesome walk around lens for me - if we knew about the IQ ...
Chasseurs d'Images gave it four stars - same as the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135. They are really picky, believe me. The DA* 200 and DA* 300 got five stars.

06-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Ben,
I hear you loud and clear. Trying to decide between a DA 300 and FA 300 is a choice I don't want to try and make. I jumped in on this thread because I thought there was a little to much bias being shown to the DA line when there are so many other good choices. With your background in MF is the prospect of future FF sensors of any interest? One of the main reasons I stay away from DA lenses is the compatability of old glass with FF. That may be an unrealistic idea but it does color my judgement.

Ken
Uff, FF is a hard question. I hear the German Pentax Marketing Manager's words ringing in my ear: There will be a new pro-camera with a NEW sensor format and it will NOT be full frame.

So I guess, it will be something with a small crop factor like 1.2x because it is the only sensor size, that is not already taken (like 1.3x) and far enough from the existing APS-C 1.5x factor to justify it as a "new" format.

Given the past experiments of Pentax with larger sensors, I think they really want to produce a bigger sensor-based camera. But it will certainly not be MF and I doubt it will be 35mm FF - at least if the Marketing Manager's words are worth anything at all.

Anyway, any improvement in size is a step to lower noise at higher ISO settings AND if the pixel count would not be expanded the resolution of the larger pixels (aka the larger size of the single pixel) might be a much better match for existing lenses - as in my eyes is proven by the Nikon D3.
Take for example the large format world: The lenses now available, are all "digital lenses", with resolutions unheared off in the past. Unfortunately with the resolution of the lens, the price goes up. So you pay now 4000 USD for a lens, which in a pre-digital version would have cost perhaps 2500.

So, there might be a good reason to step up to modern glass, as the resolution of the cameras gets higher (but I wouldn't need more than the current 14.6 MPixels). I already have lenses, which performance completely breaks down on the K20, but that where very usable on my old istDS with 6 MP an even the K10 with its 10 MP. Obviously, if one only makes 6x4 prints, one wouldn't notice this breakdown. But for me higher pixel count means the ability to crop and print bigger. For that purpose some of my old glass is completely unusable.

As far as I know, the longer DA* lenses do cover 35mm by the way. But that is also unvalidated by myself. The only thing they lack (from my personal perspective) is a real aperture ring - but given, that the DSLRs deon't have the mechanics for aperture simulation and stop-down, it is indeed obsolete. But this is the foremost reason I am thinking about the older F/FA 300, because may be I want to use 35mm film again? (Currently I use film only in 4x5, but that might change.)

Oh, I tend to write long and windingly, sorry if this is boring...

regards
Ben
06-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
hi Ernest,
No, I'm not saying that its only Pentax glass for the K20D, if you note in my OP I refer to the Sigma EX DG 24mm f1.8 as giving good results, I think that lens performs better on the K20D than on the DS.
Sorry Mallee Boy, I should have been more specific. I realized your start of the thread only suggested good glass, but it looked like the thread was moving in a different direction as it was gaining speed. In particular, these words
QuoteQuote:
Funny I just came across this thread and not 5 mins ago was reading an experts review of the K20D. He also suggested sticking to the DA* series lenses with the K20D to make full use of it. He did say other lenses would give ok results however the DA* lenses were the fastest and sharpest bar none and to save dissapointment don't go spending on anything less. I must say it does go without saying that DA* lenses are the best you can get anyway so he wasn't really saying much we didn't already know.
are what moved me to get into the discussion. I think we would all agree good glass is a great idea--this is not the problem. As for what denotes good glass---here lies our quest.

It can be intimidating at times when it comes to making lens selections. That is why a forum like this is of the utmost utility to me. I really like to learn from the experience of others. Thanks to everyone here for your input.

I too place little value on lens reviews which are fueled with and pressured by, advertising dollars. That is why I value numerical ratings, along with commentary, by owners of the lenses in question. If enough people contribute to the ratings, a valid consensus will eventually emerge from the ratings and discussion. Here FM Reviews - Main Index is a good example of what I am referring to. At this site, I think you can really get a great idea of just how good or bad a lens is because you have a diverse group of contributors--none of whom are responding to advertising dollars. Only trouble with this site is it caters to Nikon and Canon people. I know this forum has a place to evaluate Pentax glass, but the contributions made to it, up to this point in time, are not siginificant enough. It would be great if more Pentaxians would step up and evaluate our glass.

Regards,

Ernest

"Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire."

Mencius 6A:18.
06-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
So what about older lenses? A strong selling point up til now has been the backwards compatibility. If that is no longer true, won't that potentially hurt sales?
Gary
don't forget that there is some good 'old' pentax glass out there.