Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

That reminds, both the fall and the strap mention, of a recent incident... we were waiting to get some food while on vacation, I had my K20D hanging bandoleer-style and was holding my 3-year-old son.

Well, I love my Op/Tech Pro strap but discovered a problem... my son proceeded to grab the quick-release and release it, and the camera strap slid off my body (fortunately the friction of the neoprene slowed it down, as well as it being somewhat squeezed between my son and I) but regardless, the camera fell a good foot or two, landing on the metal screw-in hood on my Lester A Dine 105mm. No damage done but man! I was pretty startled, and made it very clear to my son that he shouldn't do that again. Hooray for lens hoods! (I did just over 4,000 shots in a week, the camera very rarely was off or had a lens cap on it, the only filters were occasionally CPs, and all six lenses I brought had lens hoods on all the time they were in use.)

Of course, being a 3-year-old, I think he did do it once more later in the trip, but I was able catch it before it fell that time.

I guess that's the one advantage of the stock strap - but there's no way I'm going back to it, the Op/Tech is just way too nice.

06-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
That reminds, both the fall and the strap mention, of a recent incident... we were waiting to get some food while on vacation, I had my K20D hanging bandoleer-style and was holding my 3-year-old son.

Well, I love my Op/Tech Pro strap but discovered a problem... my son proceeded to grab the quick-release and release it, and the camera strap slid off my body (fortunately the friction of the neoprene slowed it down,
Welcome to the club of lucky escapees... I secured the stupid quick release buckles (on my LowePro straps) with plastic cable ties. No chance for my 4 year old, to release those!

Ben
06-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Welcome to the club of lucky escapees... I secured the stupid quick release buckles (on my LowePro straps) with plastic cable ties. No chance for my 4 year old, to release those!

Ben
No way, I like the quick-release straps - if I'm going to handhold the camera for a while, I'll undo the neck portion and snap the short bits together, if I have them adjusted right, they make a quite effective wrist strap. It's also nice when it gets too hot out and the Op/Tech is baking the back of my neck! I usually just snap the neck part around the camera bag strap, or around a belt loop.
06-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
No way, I like the quick-release straps - if I'm going to handhold the camera for a while, I'll undo the neck portion and snap the short bits together, if I have them adjusted right, they make a quite effective wrist strap. It's also nice when it gets too hot out and the Op/Tech is baking the back of my neck! I usually just snap the neck part around the camera bag strap, or around a belt loop.
I have a wrist strap (the nice original Pentax ones from the PZ-1) fixed to each of my cameras, so I never need the QR buckles.

Ben

06-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I've never seen one of those and a quick Google search didn't bring up anything... is there a photo floating around?

I would still want the QR clips just to minimize the amount of dangling neck strap when using the wrist strap, but that's just me.
06-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bad weekend for Pentax owners it seems. I dropped mine (Jay did really ) on Sunday. Only fell less than a foot but I was surrounded by people who all looked at me and whispered to each other "Oh my, she dropped her fancy camera." I just looked at it till my brain finally decided it was not going to cry, but just smile and pick the camera up. Gave it a little test, all seems well so far and not even a scratch on my newest lens
06-16-2008, 07:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Bad weekend for Pentax owners it seems. I dropped mine (Jay did really ) on Sunday. Only fell less than a foot but I was surrounded by people who all looked at me and whispered to each other "Oh my, she dropped her fancy camera." I just looked at it till my brain finally decided it was not going to cry, but just smile and pick the camera up. Gave it a little test, all seems well so far and not even a scratch on my newest lens
Yes, these looks can be somewhat intimidating. I know that. I have dropped a lens, resting on a park bench in Bejiing and got those looks, and when my K20 took the plunge, well, there were several people around, all staring at me, swallowing their words about stupidity etc...

Good, that your K10 also survived!
Ben