Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Time from button press to shutter open - building a light trigger

I'm looking to see if anyone knows the shutter lag time on the K10D.
What I mean is from the time you push the button until the time the image start being recorded.

I'm sorry if this is a touchy subject to some but I tried searching. (any way to get boolean search? The search seems lacking, or is it just me?)
I found one thread that went on, and on, and on, and on about how to define shutter lag and why it wasn't worth knowing, and the good ole days of sitting in front of a mirror clicking away to practice the timing, etc.. but no one ever actually mentioned the shutter lag time. Just a lot of hostile emails back and forth which ended up in one long useless thread. Argh!!

I am interested in setting up a lightning (and other light) activated shutter switch, but it would be helpful to know if I'm wasting my time in the first place.
I always thought you needed the mirror up and trigger only the shutter, but apparently that isn't the case.
Of course, if the lag time to up the mirror is too slow, the opening of the shutter will be just in time to get darkness.
I'm petty good at sittin at the window holding the shutter for 30 seconds, over and over, but some nights I'd just like to get some sleep and let the camera do all the work. :ugh:

I really cannot find much information on Pentax timing on Google, etc... either.
So it would be helpful if anyone has information on the lag time from button press to shutter opening.

Many thanks!

06-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

If you type in lightning trigger in this sites search you will get a page of threads. About half way down there will be a thread that says something like Pentax camera time delays by barondla. In there it will tell the exact times for many Pentax in different modes. Hope this works.
thanks
barondla

Check out the winners of POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 in the P&S forums. Enter P&S contest #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Super! Thanks.

I'm really surprised at the long auto-focus time, and the extra difference between manual and pre-focused times. It sounds like the deays are just too long for a camera that cannot lock up the mirror in advance. (or at least with a really fast mirror-up motor)

I'll have to stick with late nights and fingers cramped from holding down the shutter button.
Oh, if only the RemoteAssitance was worth a damn when it comes to automated timed captures. Great software otherwise, but with times cauptres it really sucks in a lot of ways.

Last edited by amoringello; 06-13-2008 at 04:03 PM.
06-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

@Amoringello:

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Virginian. If you don't mind me asking, what part of VA? I'm in Gainesville.

06-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Herndon. Not too far away - relatively speaking.
06-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I'm sorry if this is a touchy subject to some but I tried searching. (any way to get boolean search? The search seems lacking, or is it just me?)...
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
If you type in lightning trigger in this sites search you will get a page of threads. About half way down there will be a thread that says something like Pentax camera time delays by barondla:...
Search Hint: I found the thread with sort of a boolean search. In advanced search I entered lightning in the subject (left side) and barondla as the name (right side) which found the thread mentioned. I use the search by name often, for example if I want to find threads I replied on to see if new replies were added.

I know, not a true boolean search...
06-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #7

how about building a PC > 2.5mm adaptor for use with an optical flash trigger, with a 30 second shutter? You'd at least get the followup flashes.