Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is code out there that detects and repairs artifacts in pixel-shifted images from the K-3II. PF user tomtor modified Dave Coffin's swiss army knife utility dcraw to include routines that split the file into its constituent images, analyze for artifacts based on percentage change of pixels between the two green channels, and if detected repair on the first image before merging again. Do a search on his username here and you should be able to find his post announcing his code. I have tried it on downloaded PS files and it seems to work as announced.

07-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
The k-5ii/ iis has a lower native iso (80) vs 100 on the K-3, K-3ii. On my K-5iis 80 iso is actually very close to 64. So the k-5ii/iis may have better image quality if you can shoot at iso 80.
I don't think that's native iso, it is available only through the proper option and is more a different way to use the native 100 iso of the sensor than anything else. It does comes with real improvement (bit better dynamic range for example) but the term native look innapropriate to me. Also we speak of something like 0.3EV... That's not a very significant difference.
07-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

If I was to make Large studio prints or landscapes than the K3II makes sense. The lack of flash is a deal breaker for me. I use it for fill some times.
07-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They replaced the flash bulb with a GPS antenna and latched the rest of the flash shut. The hinges are still there, though!

Personally I'm a bit biased because I think this is a half-assed solution. I'd recommend the original K-3 unless you plan to make use of the K-3 II's pixel shifting feature.
I suspect the K3II is really just a test bed for the full frame to determine how people accept the lack of a flash and to debug the pixel shift and GPS features.

07-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I suspect the K3II is really just a test bed for the full frame to determine how people accept the lack of a flash and to debug the pixel shift and GPS features.
What I understood in the end is that the engineers had to make this decision because they didn't want to change the body design and the flash was the only place not shielded by metal due to the very high quality build of both K3/K3-II. Putting an Antena inside the body would have prevented the GPS from working properly.

For the next camera or the FF, they can design a different body to ensure the antena can work while keeping the flash.
07-30-2015, 02:52 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
+1 agree fully
08-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I am curious as to if the K3II AF system using AF.C is as good as or a step up from the K-5IIS AF system using AF.C when tracking movement such as a bird in flight. I am now using the K-5IIS with a Sigma 150-500 for birding/wildlife.
08-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #38
Site Supporter

For what it's worth I'll be getting my K3 delivered tomorrow. I found that I use the flash for subject in the sun fill in more than I would a GPS module. Either camera is supposedly awesome, yet the K3 is hundreds less....

06-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #39

Hi guys,

I just came across this forum in my search which is exact the same as the topicstarter here had. Almost 1 year after, could you say something about your purchase Nerdlinger?

Thanks in advance,
Mischa
07-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #40

I'm in the same dilemma, my K50 developed the aperture motor failure so it's time to upgrade, I've been debating between a used K3 or a new K3ii!!!! both have its nice features and K3ii been newer....
07-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by kingbird72 Quote
I'm in the same dilemma, my K50 developed the aperture motor failure so it's time to upgrade, I've been debating between a used K3 or a new K3ii!!!! both have its nice features and K3ii been newer....
Thats funny my k50 just failed too and I'm looking at the k3. I will have the k50 repaired though.
07-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kingbird72 Quote
Brand spanking new K-3 cameras are getting harder to find. I'd just go with a K-3II. You can get one for $846 that comes with a battery grip from Adorama or for $899 with a flash too. The $846 is the better deal 'cause that flash is not all that great. Spend the money on a better flash later if you need one.
07-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by teletripper Quote
Thats funny my k50 just failed too and I'm looking at the k3. I will have the k50 repaired though.
To me this confirm that the K50 at leat is like the K30 and not meant to be used intensivelty or for many years. It may work, it may not work.

K3 or K3II there isn't much difference between the 2. Basically one can be found mostly used now, quite cheaper I would say, it has a flash, no pixel shift, no GPS. For most people they are identical I would say. Some will want the flash, some will want pixel shift or the GPS. For many people it doesn't make any difference. Even if they think the contrary, they'll use the feature the other doesn't have like 3 time in the life of the camera...

In the end this is more a used vs new and what deal you can find.

The K3-II at least there is more expensive than 1 year ago and the KP extremely expensive. To me they are not worth the buy and I would go used with used K3 being half the price. But this depend a lot of the deals you can find localy and also how much risk do you accept to take.

On my local market, it is definitely not the time to buy a Pentax DLSR.
07-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #44

Seachongo, some years back after the price dropped drastically, shortly before the K-3 emerged, having bought the K-5 under the same circumstances, I decided to take advantage and get the K-5 IIs as well. This way I'd have one with and without the AA filter. At that time there were no models having a switchable filter. I did indeed notice image sharpness improvement with the K-5 IIs as well as AF improvement.

The K-5 IIs also has a reputation for exceptional dynamic range, even above that of the K-3, and slightly better high-ISO performance. The K-3, with its 24mp design does offer slightly better resolution for larger prints or cropping, and of course the pixel-shift feature. The KP has shown advancements in many aspects, indicating the upcoming K-3 II replacement will most likely offer these and perhaps more. As for a flash, Pentax makes a handy, hot-shoe model- the AF201FG having tilt for bounce and WR, small enough to easily fit into a pocket.

I have found the KP to be superior in every department. I bought mine in silver about 2 months ago, and I have been delighted with this little beauty. I got it it based on a temporary deal from B&H at $987 with a free DA 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, after which the price went back to $1,097. Now it has dropped to $999.99 and worth every bit of that and more IMO. I got the battery grip as well. I'm keeping my K-5 IIs for times when I need all of its dedicated controls for making fast changes on the fly for moderate action shooting in at least fair lighting.

For the needs you have with the type of shooting you do, I don't see why this beautiful, unique camera would not suit you very well. It is a great upgrade from your K-5. Image quality from the KP is superb. Very close to the K-1. You can program its controls so bracketing features are assigned to a top knob, so this is available at your fingertips. Build quality is excellent. It features the latest upgrade of pixel-shift technology. Low light, higher ISO performance is outstanding. AF is improved over all previous models. Also it is easy-carrying for casual use, and JPEGs are outstanding. An extended warranty is available from Pentax through B&H at moderate cost- but you have to ask about it.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-24-2017 at 02:17 PM.