Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #1

K3ii vs K3 vs K5ii

Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade from my K5. Which do you think is the better landscape camera? (for those with some experience with at least K5ii and K3ii). I shoot mainly on tripod with live view at 80 iso, frequently bracketing. I shoot in RAW and do my post in Lightroom. I can currently only do cloning and such through Photoshop, but eventually will learn layer work. I also enjoy shooting wildlife and some casual portraits. I don't often use AF-C, but do with some wildlife shots. Not big into BIF. Anyone use 2 or 3 of these cameras and have a suggestion on which they would choose for this type of shooting, and why?.
Thanks so much for your input!

Last edited by seachongo; 06-23-2015 at 11:55 PM.
06-23-2015, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 and K-3 II are going to be the exact same for landscapes, since the pixel shifting feature is only useful for static subjects. Go for the K-3. The K-5 is too close the IIs to be worth the upgrade at this point, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 and K-3 II are going to be the exact same for landscapes, since the pixel shifting feature is only useful for static subjects. Go for the K-3. The K-5 is too close the IIs to be worth the upgrade at this point, IMO.
Thanks for the quick response Adam! If you wouldn't mind, is the elimination of AA filter the same on K5iis and K3? Is there any difference in AF-S with K3 vs K3ii?
06-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachongo Quote
Is there any difference in AF-S with K3 vs K3ii?
No. Just in AF-C..

06-24-2015, 04:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

So Pixel Shift is not going to work for landscapes at all? I assume you mean those with something moving it them (leaves, water) or do you have something else in mind Adam?
06-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No. Just in AF-C..
Thanks kenspro!
06-24-2015, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
So Pixel Shift is not going to work for landscapes at all? I assume you mean those with something moving it them (leaves, water) or do you have something else in mind Adam?
I'm planning to use Pixel shift in landscapes where ever possible. It just has to be still out. But there are many times in my landscape images where it's completely still out. Pixel shift may not be useful all the time, but I'm anticipating there will be conditions where it will give me a much better image than I'd otherwise get. And some of those will be landscapes.

Last edited by normhead; 06-29-2015 at 12:06 PM.
06-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm planning to use Pixel shift in landscapes where ever possible. It just has to be still out. But there are many times in my landscape images where it's completely still out. Pixel shift may not be useful all the time, but I'm anticipating there will be conditions where it will give me a much better image than I'd otherwise get. AN some of those will be landscapes.
That's what I thought ... otherwise this becomes a very specialized feature.
06-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
It would be very helpful and interesting to hear from people who have used pixel shift in their landscape photography. Do you folks find that it is helping or hindering landscapes? At what rate are you getting good landscapes using pixel shift vs. blur in pixel shifted landscapes?
06-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
npc
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, so far all the samples I've seen posted show some pixelized artifacts when pixel shift is used for landscapes. Maybe they will include the algorithm over time to detect and filter out somehow the artefacts caused by motion. Similar to panorama stitching and HDR stacking software that seems to be getting better over time at dealing with this kind of artefacts.
In any case I would not hesitate to use this feature if I ever get a K-3II - even if the merged image turns out to be with artefacts - just pick the individual raw files so you loose nothing.
06-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

What are you lacking with the K-5 that you expect to gain with a K-5ii or a K-3?
06-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What are you lacking with the K-5 that you expect to gain with a K-5ii or a K-3?
I'm really looking forward to the lack of AA filter and better auto-focus, especially in lower light situations.
06-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachongo Quote
I'm really looking forward to the lack of AA filter and better auto-focus, especially in lower light situations.
The improvement in clarity and resolution is noticeable with the as filter being removed.

If you can shoot at lower iso's the increase to 24mpx I'd also noticeable.

My 10-17 fisheye is noticeably sharper on the K3.

Howie Be
06-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Unfortunately, so far all the samples I've seen posted show some pixelized artifacts when pixel shift is used for landscapes. Maybe they will include the algorithm over time to detect and filter out somehow the artefacts caused by motion. Similar to panorama stitching and HDR stacking software that seems to be getting better over time at dealing with this kind of artefacts.
In any case I would not hesitate to use this feature if I ever get a K-3II - even if the merged image turns out to be with artefacts - just pick the individual raw files so you loose nothing.
I do own the K3II, and have now shot well over 1000 images with it. There are no "individual" RAW files when shooting in the pixel shifting mode (only one RAW file is produced).

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-29-2015 at 01:29 PM.
07-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No. Just in AF-C..
How big of a difference?