Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
How big of a difference?
I have only tested it in bad/challenging lights..with and without smoke. It feels smoother..doesnt hunt as much and less misses then before.

07-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I have only tested it in bad/challenging lights..with and without smoke. It feels smoother..doesnt hunt as much and less misses then before.
Good to know - thank you...
07-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Good to know - thank you...
Thats why I'm here Hehe
07-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thats why I'm here Hehe
Follow up question: do you think that the improvements are due to different hardware or software (in which case, they could come to the K3 via firmware update)?

07-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Follow up question: do you think that the improvements are due to different hardware or software (in which case, they could come to the K3 via firmware update)?
As far as what Ricoh has told me, there are some small changes, that makes it not possible to do with just firmware. I didn't dig deeper into what is changed.
07-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

As far as what Ricoh has told me, there are some small changes, that makes it not possible to do with just firmware. I didn't dig deeper into what is changed.
Once again - thank you!
07-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seachongo Quote
I'm really looking forward to the lack of AA filter and better auto-focus, especially in lower light situations.
But for landscapes on a tripod, do you need the perfect AF that much? Look to me the back screen can do the work...

As for K3 or K5-IIs you'll get more resolution thanks to AA filter removal but if you frame correctly from the begining with your tripod what you'll get mostly if satisfaction from yourself while looking at 100% crops because nobody else will even notice any difference on your pictures except if you crop of you print very large, at least 40x30" or more. And if you really want to print very large and get max sharpness, you should look forward something with even more resolution. 36/50MP FF look like a better fit for the job.

07-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 and K-3 II are going to be the exact same for landscapes, since the pixel shifting feature is only useful for static subjects. Go for the K-3. The K-5 is too close the IIs to be worth the upgrade at this point, IMO.
Hi - I have a question - why does the K3ii have no built in flash? what is the benefit in this? I am looking on B&H at the specs. I have a K-r (40,000 photos) and a K-30 (around 22,000) and I am picking out my new camera, and I don't know what one to chose out of the two. thank you for any insight to the flash / no flash or any other advice you can spare. J
07-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Unfortunately, so far all the samples I've seen posted show some pixelized artifacts when pixel shift is used for landscapes. Maybe they will include the algorithm over time to detect and filter out somehow the artefacts caused by motion. Similar to panorama stitching and HDR stacking software that seems to be getting better over time at dealing with this kind of artefacts.
There is an interesting article on the imaging-resource website regarding merging single frames from the RAW file with the pixel shifted file, to cover up artifacts Pentax K-3 II Review: Now Shooting! - Field Test Part I.
07-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
Hi - I have a question - why does the K3ii have no built in flash? what is the benefit in this? I am looking on B&H at the specs. I have a K-r (40,000 photos) and a K-30 (around 22,000) and I am picking out my new camera, and I don't know what one to chose out of the two. thank you for any insight to the flash / no flash or any other advice you can spare. J
They replaced the flash bulb with a GPS antenna and latched the rest of the flash shut. The hinges are still there, though!

Personally I'm a bit biased because I think this is a half-assed solution. I'd recommend the original K-3 unless you plan to make use of the K-3 II's pixel shifting feature.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They replaced the flash bulb with a GPS antenna and latched the rest of the flash shut. The hinges are still there, though!

Personally I'm a bit biased because I think this is a half-assed solution. I'd recommend the original K-3 unless you plan to make use of the K-3 II's pixel shifting feature.
GPS antenna ??? what for ?
07-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tweet25 Quote
GPS antenna ??? what for ?
The GPS function allows the camera to include the location where the photo was taken in the saved file. Some people find the information useful for cataloging photographs, or if they have to find the exact spot again in the future.
07-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
The GPS function allows the camera to include the location where the photo was taken in the saved file. Some people find the information useful for cataloging photographs, or if they have to find the exact spot again in the future.
Or if they want to use the astro tracer feature... Completely useless if you don't want to shoot star sky but really interresting if that's something you want to do !
07-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The k-5ii/ iis has a lower native iso (80) vs 100 on the K-3, K-3ii. On my K-5iis 80 iso is actually very close to 64. So the k-5ii/iis may have better image quality if you can shoot at iso 80.
07-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #30

Thank you - I'll look at the K-5ii as well, I won't go with the K-3ii I don't want nor need an antenna - I would rather have an emergency flash in a pinch