Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tethering question K3

I haven't got my K3 yet, but I was wondering if there was a way to save as raw and tether a jpg of the same pic suitable for fast uploading to facebook?
What smart phone support the program to tether?

Thanks

Randy

06-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You would use two SD cards: one setup to save RAWs and the other, an EyeFi card to save JPEGs. The EyeFi app on your smart phone would automatically be updated with the JPEGs that you can then setup to update facebook.

The more expensive 'EyeFi Mobi Pro' card can upload both RAW and JPEG to your phone, but that card also runs $99. If you only need the JPEGs to go to your smartphone, just get the cheaper non-Pro EyeFi cards.
06-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #3

Weren't some of the dealers bundling the K3 with the FluCard? You should be able to upload to Facebook via the FluCard and an IPhone or Android.
06-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K3ii is being bundled with the Flu card. I am not aware of the K3 being bundled with it

06-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can you get the flucard to send a lower resolution jpg so it will load fast while keeping the raw file on your regular SD card?
Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Randy
06-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dunno about the flucard's speed, but for what it is worth, the jpeg's uploaded from EyeFi into my android quickly - about 2-3 seconds per full-sized image. Unless you are planning to shoot at a fast fps, it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know if there is a technological way to have the camera save high-res jpegs but for the card to somehow send, or for the app to somehow down-convert while in the process of transmitting the image. Something somewhere with computing power has to scale down the image from high to low resolution. There are only two processors in this picture - the camera itself and the smartphone. The camera can save at only one pre-determined resolution - not both high AND low res. The card does not convert (though I suppose it has a small processor for wireless connectivity purposes). And converting within the smartphone does not help alleviate transmission speeds from camera to phone. The only solution is to save RAW to the regular SD card and have the camera store low-res JPEGs to your flucard/eyefi card. That's my theoretical conjecture anyway...
06-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think your last sentence hit the nail on the head.. so I can save the raw file to SD card in slot 1 and have the K3 save a low resolution image on the flucard so it will transfer and upload to the internet faster?

Thanks

Randy

06-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, that should do it.

---------- Post added 06-25-15 at 04:13 PM ----------

Oh, and from what I read, the cards are written to in series (i.e. the camera writes to one card first, and then after completing that process, to the second card). It cannot write to both cards simultaneously. So there will be a lag, but I don't know exactly how long. It can't be anything that significant, but having a fast SD card should help with a faster write for the RAW files, and savings low-res JPEGs should help completing the overall write process faster as well.

"...so it will transfer and upload to the internet faster?"

To clarify your earlier comment, the low-res jpeg image should transmit faster from your flucard to your smartphone, but you would still be constrained by the speed of your internet connection from your smartphone to the cell tower/access point.
06-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks it is all clear now

Cheers

Randy
06-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #10

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera with Premium Accessory Bundle 15530 KD

K-3 + battery grip + FluCard $808 USD - US store though.
06-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Can you get the flucard to send a lower resolution jpg so it will load fast while keeping the raw file on your regular SD card?
Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Randy
I would recommend using an Eye-Fi card for this purpose. It can be done with the flucard, and yes it's going to be faster to transfer small JPEGs (the flucard transfer speed is 1-2Mb / sec), but it's also a bit tedious.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: