Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use both Manual, A lenses, and fully auto (with autofocus) lenses, and I think that the auto with autofocus wears down the battery faster, as perhaps should be.

Maybe it's because I put the focus to MF when I find I'm going to use manual lenses for a while is why I don't experience as much drain when compared with other lenses? Perhaps then it won't "search" and try to send a signal? Might want to try that next time.

06-27-2015, 05:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is your rear lcd illuminated when you are focussing? Try pressing the info button a few times to switch it off. It could simply be that because you're manually focussing, the additional time spent doing that (compared to auto focus), is causing the rear lcd to be on longer than normal, which is draining the battery faster....
06-27-2015, 06:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Is your rear lcd illuminated when you are focussing? Try pressing the info button a few times to switch it off. It could simply be that because you're manually focussing, the additional time spent doing that (compared to auto focus), is causing the rear lcd to be on longer than normal, which is draining the battery faster....

Good point robthebloke , it could also be that since I'm chimping more often I'm causing the battery to drain, but usually after a while, you get sort of "six sense" when your battery should go down. I'm not getting that with my manual lenses, I'm often shocked that the battery drained so quickly.
06-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Good point robthebloke , it could also be that since I'm chimping more often I'm causing the battery to drain, but usually after a while, you get sort of "six sense" when your battery should go down. I'm not getting that with my manual lenses, I'm often shocked that the battery drained so quickly.
That is strange, in your post #11, you said you did not use Liveview to focus with manual lenses.... now you said you do... using rear LCD drains battery power more than using the viewfinder.

06-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
That is strange, in your post #11, you said you did not use Liveview to focus with manual lenses.... now you said you do... using rear LCD drains battery power more than using the viewfinder.
By chimping he means reviewing the picture on the LCD after taking the shot. It's different than live view because it only turns on the LCD when reviewing while live view keeps the LCD on full time.
06-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The meter might be on longer as exposure adjustments are being made. Using the green button will actuated the diaphragm stop-down thus consuming power. If AF-S is selected the screw-drive may actuate consuming power. More time may be spent chimping MF lenses to check the focus and exposure. All sorts of variables.
06-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I don't believe the bar indicators accurately reflect battery capacity. My K-7 can stay on 5 bars for days on end and next time out it may start on 5 bars but almost instantly drop to 4 or 3 bars. If 5 bars is 100%, 3 bars is far less that 60% capacity. I take anything less than 5 bars as it is time to recharge.

It is extremely difficult to measure a battery and determine remaining capacity (as distinct from measuring energy in and out and learning from recent performance). I have only ever used the bars as a measure of 'good to go'/'not good to go'. Hence, the rapid fall off when past a certain threshold. I never use the bars as a measure of whether to charge, or not, when I have a chance.
07-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Vintage Glass and Battery Life

Have used a lot of vintage glass including M42 screwmounts with adapters on my K-100D for the past couple of years until I got lazy and bought an 18-55 Auto Zoom for it. On the auto I minimize AF use and that camera does not have live view; as stated that LCD screen is an energy glutton as is AF.

Now I have a new K-50 with live view and it takes movies; I have a feeling that my battery usage is going to increase significantly.

07-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
Now I have a new K-50 with live view and it takes movies; I have a feeling that my battery usage is going to increase significantly.
Did you get the AA adapter? Four Eneloops do better than the Li-Ion.
08-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I started leaving the camera, K-3, on continuously. This introduces a different problem. As I walk around the the camera bounces about on my belly which results in random pushing of buttons.

The other day two effects happened:
1. The colour setting of the jpgs was altered (the 4-way button). I noticed and worked out how to return to the setting I prefer.
2. The 4-way button resulted in resetting to interval shooting at about 1 per second. Noticed the first picture I took. Found the accidental reset.
3. Something happened and now the LCD stays on with the setting information and I cannot work out what to do to turn it off. I do not want the LCD on continuously because that duplicates info I can get from the screen on the top (redundant), it drains battery unnecessarily, it is illuminated all the time which is not good for my vision when taking pictures in dark situations and it draws attention to the fact I am using the camera (which I ind not good).
I searched but what search terms do you use to find a solution to this?
Anyone know how to turn off the rear screen. I cannot find it in the menu or anywhere else.
08-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
1. The colour setting of the jpgs was altered (the 4-way button). I noticed and worked out how to return to the setting I prefer.
2. The 4-way button resulted in resetting to interval shooting at about 1 per second. Noticed the first picture I took. Found the accidental reset.
I mainly keep my 4-way button in the focus point select mode and only switch them to the other mode when I need to change drive mode/white balance/etc. And I make sure I change them back to focus point select mode so if I accidentally bump the buttons I only move the focus point around, instead of messing up the photo settings.

QuoteQuote:
3. Something happened and now the LCD stays on with the setting information and I cannot work out what to do to turn it off. I do not want the LCD on continuously because that duplicates info I can get from the screen on the top (redundant), it drains battery unnecessarily, it is illuminated all the time which is not good for my vision when taking pictures in dark situations and it draws attention to the fact I am using the camera (which I ind not good).
I searched but what search terms do you use to find a solution to this?
Anyone know how to turn off the rear screen. I cannot find it in the menu or anywhere else.
Press the INFO button twice.
08-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #27

On board flash user?
08-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Got it back in proper behaviour now.

My pet peeve - the multi-function button strikes again.
09-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #29

A few days ago I read the Service Manual for K10d. (You'll find a link here ).

Chapter 33.3 lists up an estimate of the power consume for autofocus, zoom, releasing shutter,
charging flash, bulb, displaying playback image, displaying menu, etc. etc.
I made a copy of the table which you can see here. Releasing Shutter consume six times more power than displaying playback image?
Even "Reading playback image in the card by USB communication" as well as "Stand by for USB communication " consume much more than I was aware of.

The relations are most probably still valuable for the K7-5-3..

Last edited by Dabola; 09-01-2015 at 11:34 AM.
09-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
The battery on my K-5II drains pretty quickly when I use a manual lens. I would think an AF lens would draw more power but apparently its the other way around.
Are you using live view and focus peaking or the optical VF?

I would bet live view, holding the shuttere open etc draws a lot of power