Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Why I am Switching Back from Canon FF

Soooo...I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a K-3ii

I went from Nikon DX to Pentax to Fuji X to Canon FF and now back to Pentax.

Fuji X was OK...lenses were great but I never got over the X-T1 handling issues. A lot of little things added up.
The Canon 6D is really awesome for taking people pictures, probably the best camera in that I have ever used in that regard. The 50mm f1.2L and 135 f2.0L are magical when it comes to rendering and have every bit the pixie dust as any Pentax limited. Also, the ergonomics were surprisingly good.

So why did I switch back?

Size was one reason. The 6D by itself is actually reasonably sized. But a well balanced L lens kit is big. I am going to do a bit of travelling and the thought of lugging around a 6D + 24-105L + another pretty big prime lens for indoor shots is not very appealing.
And AF performance with the 6D is another reason. The center point is fantastic, especially in low light...but it goes down hill quick from there. Only the center AF point is cross type...and only 11 points total. Bleh. Of course I can move up to the 5D mk3, but at about $1000 more AND worse IQ...no thanks.
I also missed the reach of APS-C.
And the cost of good L glass is pretty darn high. Sure there are more budget friendly options. But why invest in Canon if you are not going to go L?

I will miss the fact that every store has Canon gear and all the 3rd party options are nice.
But Pentax has the most of what I am looking for...so here I am again.

06-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did you sell off your Canon gear when you switched? Either way, enjoy your Pentax and the extra dynamic range that comes with it!
06-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back and thanks for sharing your experience.
I don't think you can go wrong IQ wise with any mordern system 4/3 or APS or FF.
My selewction is mostly based on how comfortable I am using the equipment.
Basically weight and ergonomics and, I admit, how good does the stuff look.
06-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Did you sell off your Canon gear when you switched? Either way, enjoy your Pentax and the extra dynamic range that comes with it!
I will be...if you're interested PM me :P

06-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back! It's definitely hard to beat the K-3's size vs. ergonomics.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2015, 01:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The 50mm f1.2L and 135 f2.0L are magical when it comes to rendering and have every bit the pixie dust as any Pentax limited.
I used the 135mm f2L and confirm the "pixie dust" in that lens ^^
Welcome back to Pentax ^^
06-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Soooo...I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a K-3ii

I went from Nikon DX to Pentax to Fuji X to Canon FF and now back to Pentax.

Fuji X was OK...lenses were great but I never got over the X-T1 handling issues. A lot of little things added up.
The Canon 6D is really awesome for taking people pictures, probably the best camera in that I have ever used in that regard. The 50mm f1.2L and 135 f2.0L are magical when it comes to rendering and have every bit the pixie dust as any Pentax limited. Also, the ergonomics were surprisingly good.

So why did I switch back?

Size was one reason. The 6D by itself is actually reasonably sized. But a well balanced L lens kit is big. I am going to do a bit of travelling and the thought of lugging around a 6D + 24-105L + another pretty big prime lens for indoor shots is not very appealing.
And AF performance with the 6D is another reason. The center point is fantastic, especially in low light...but it goes down hill quick from there. Only the center AF point is cross type...and only 11 points total. Bleh. Of course I can move up to the 5D mk3, but at about $1000 more AND worse IQ...no thanks.
I also missed the reach of APS-C.
And the cost of good L glass is pretty darn high. Sure there are more budget friendly options. But why invest in Canon if you are not going to go L?

I will miss the fact that every store has Canon gear and all the 3rd party options are nice.
But Pentax has the most of what I am looking for...so here I am again.
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts...
You just gave one more reason why Pentax FF should never be cheap version of FF like 6D or D610.....
06-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts...
You just gave one more reason why Pentax FF should never be cheap version of FF like 6D or D610.....
I think it is good that Canon and Nikon offer those models...but Pentax/Ricoh just does not have the volume that those guys do. They have to be a lot more selective about what they release and can't possibly try to appease all possible consumers.

06-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Congrats. I have three Pentax digital bodies...a K10D, Km and a K-5. Over the years I've thought to myself I need a FF....but then I look at my pictures and I think how can a different camera body...improve on the capabilities (my Pentax bodies...not me)....that I have now in K mount digital camera equipment. I don't do poster size prints. Max for me is either 8X10 or occasionally 11X14 and at this size enlargement, I don't think I'd see a lot of improvement with a 6D or D610 FF. In fact I've seen some poster sized shots taken with FF cameras by photographers at my skill level (we're average, not Karsh) and I've been less than impressed when it comes to the resolution and quality at this enlargement (poster or close to) size.

BTW, I usually use ISO between 100-800 for my K-5 and Km and 100-400 for my K10D and F 8...for outside shots. I like things crisp and sharp...so good light, F 8 and 100-400 ISO is my rule. The exception is when using my Sigma 150-500...then it's the K-5 body and ISO of 800-1600 and F 10, 11 and nice sunny days.

Great for 8X10 with an ASP-C , like my K mounts.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-26-2015 at 09:23 AM.