Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I use an old NIKON SB-20 from the 1980s in AUTO mode with the camera in aperture or manual mode. No P-TTL of course but it works perfectly! Even better than my Pentax 360FGZ! It also has bounce flash.

Please Excuse Me While I Clean My Lens: Review: Nikon SB-20

Dante Stella
What makes it better than the 360FGZ specifically?

12-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What makes it better than the 360FGZ specifically?
My 360FGZ randomly but regularly under exposes while the SB-20 always and consistently exposes correctly, either direct or bounce. This is using it in AUTO mode as obviously Nikon's TTL mode doesn't work with Pentax.

The inconsistency of the 360 is it's greatest bugbear. When it works it's great but you just can't rely on it to be consistent.

I did a direct comparison between the two and was amazed. Realized I didn't need to buy the Pentax 360FGZ flash at all as my 20+ year old Nikon SB-20 that i had lying in the cupboard does the job perfectly!

Anybody want to buy a used Pentax 360FGZ?
12-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
...my 20+ year old Nikon SB-20 that i had lying in the cupboard does the job perfectly!
Nice option to know about. Thanks! Did you remove the pins other than the central one, as is described in one of the links you provided, or can the flash be used as-is in manual and auto modes on a Pentax body?
12-30-2015, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Nice option to know about. Thanks! Did you remove the pins other than the central one, as is described in one of the links you provided, or can the flash be used as-is in manual and auto modes on a Pentax body?
There is no need to remove the pins at all. Pins not used by the body are simply ignored by Pentax bodies.

Also, removing the pins would make it less functional on a Nikon body for those who shoot both Pentax and Nikon.

I just put the flash on AUTO setting and my camera (K50 or K7) on M mode and select 5.6/f and 80 as the shutter speed and shoot away. You can experiment with the camera settings but that is a pretty good starting point. Aperture priority works too.

This is for the Nikon SB-20 that I have but I'm sure all the earlier Nikon flashes that have an AUTO setting (marked by an A on the flash body, eg the SB-22, SB-24, SB-25 etc) would be usable.

Unfortunately, Nikon removed the AUTO setting from their later flashes like the SB-600/800/700/900 etc so they are not usable on Pentax bodies except in full manual mode (on the flash) which is nowhere as good as AUTO mode.

Last edited by Theov39; 01-13-2016 at 09:04 AM.
12-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

The sb-20 seems to have fairly narrow coverage in terms of width - how do you deal with that when shooting wide angle lenses?
12-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The sb-20 seems to have fairly narrow coverage in terms of width - how do you deal with that when shooting wide angle lenses?
You can set it on W (Wide) setting and it is actually not too bad. This is also a nice way to diffuse the light.

Having said that I tend to use flash when I need a lot of light further away so tend to use flash when using longer focal lengths.

For this the SB-20 has a T setting (Telephoto) which is surprisingly strong, despite its relatively modest guide number.

Its cousin from the same period, the Nikon SB-22 is also worth considering as it goes a bit wider than the SB-20 and a bit more power (82 vs 72 ft/100 ISO) if that is an issue.

Pretty much the same functionality in a slightly different body shape.

Having used both Nikon and Pentax systems, I've come to the conclusion that Pentax make great cameras (which I prefer by far) but when it comes to flashes, Nikon is still a few steps ahead!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-L10  Photo 

Last edited by Theov39; 12-31-2015 at 12:42 AM.
12-31-2015, 09:30 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, now I feel bad again. My cactus v4 trigger system doesn't work anymore. I really haven't used it except for test shots. The other day I pulled it out for a shoot and found both receivers and trigger not functioning. The batteries were new. I guess they die on you if you don't use them.
01-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #68

Nikon SB-30

QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
What do you get if you want a small and cheap flash for K-3ii?

You get a Nikon SB-30!

Tiny flash with a GN of 16 so a slightly more powerful replacement for an inbuilt flash which typically tend to be around 12 GN.

It is small enough to put in your shirt pocket. No more than $40-50 second hand on fleabay

I use it on my K-7 and K-50 in AUTO mode on the flash (that is any of the 4 settings before TTL in the pic below) and the camera in manual mode with the aperture set at anything between 2.8-8 f stop and shutter speed anywhere between 1/30-180. The camera ISO has to match the flash setting.

The exposure turns out perfectly.Indeed, often better than my Pentax 360FGZ P-TTL flash which is kind of ironic. Perhaps Pentax should consider sub-contracting the manufacturing of their flashes to Nikon

The great thing about the SB-30 is that it has the recommended aperture set on the back so you just follow that. Set the dial to one of the four settings before the TTL setting depending on your ISO and aperture settings. In addition to that it has 1/2 over and under flash compensation and a wide angle adapter which you rarely see on small flashes.

You can also use full manual mode but I tend to skip those settings as it is too hit and miss.

Attached Images

Last edited by Theov39; 01-14-2016 at 09:46 AM.
01-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I'll recommend this flash for a small, cheap but very good flash. Pentax AF 280T: Used Pentax AF-280T TTL Shoe Mount Flash 30381 B&H Photo Video
01-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #70
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
[...] Next in line is Pentax AF280T. [...]
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I'll recommend this flash for a small, cheap but very good flash. Pentax AF 280T [...]
I use the AF280T on both my k20D and my K-3. The "Auto" (auto thyrister) functionality is really pretty effective (no, it's not perfect, but neither are TTL or P-TTL), and AF280T's are plentiful and reasonably inexpensive on eBay.
01-14-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I'll recommend this flash for a small, cheap but very good flash. Pentax AF 280T: Used Pentax AF-280T TTL Shoe Mount Flash 30381 B&H Photo Video
Wow, that is one ugly flash.
01-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Besides, who cares if the flash is ugly! What's important is whether it can help make beautiful photos (it can, IHMO).
01-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #73
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Wow, that [AF280T] is one ugly flash.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
And ugliness, too, I guess.
Besides, who cares if the flash is ugly!
Well, this here gearhead cares, and I think the AF280T is much better looking than the "Star Wars" gear that passes as fashionable nowadays, and I certainly think an AF280T is better looking than the other flashes [pictured above. [Obviously, this is a case of YMMV.]
What's important is whether it can help make beautiful photos (it can, IHMO).
Admittedly true, and very true.
01-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter

The 280T is ugly? Um... why? It looks like every other flash on earth.
01-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Wow he/she really said that!