Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Vivitar 285HV Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 B&H Photo Video
I wouldn't exactly call the 285 small.

06-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think the most versatile very small flash on the market presently is probably the Metz 26 AF1. Unlike most or all of the others, AFAIK, It can also be used as a P TTL slave, and has a manual mode instead of being just a P TTL flash. I don't think any current flash can be used as a master/controller for P TTL wireless remote. The 26 AF1 is also probably the most convenient size as it can fit in a shirt pocket, but still has variable angled bounce capabilities. It is, however more pricey (@ $150 USD) than most of the other compact P TTL flashes available. At this time, I'd say that this is the flash I'd get if I had the K-3 II as can apparently also be used as a wireless remote flash with bodies that have onboard flash with master/controller wireless remote capabilities. I'll probably pick one up even if I don't go with the K-3 II, to use mostly as a wireless P TTL remote. P TTL is not the best system, but it works for my relatively simple needs.

Metz also makes a more compact flash, the 24 AF1, which looks along the lines of the Pentax 201 FG. AFAIK, it's a rebadge of a Chinese (?) unit that is also sold under a number of different brands for a lot less $$. It has a variable angle reflector, so can be bounced, and can only be used in P TTL mode, and only camera or with a P TTL compatible cord. Because of the physical design, it's not really pocketable, unless you have pretty loose pockets, but it is small and light.

I'm hoping that Pentax will offer a very compact solution that will allow wireless remote flash for use with bodies that don't have onboard flash included -- and here I'm assuming that there will be more of these coming in the future.
06-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The best value, IMHO, is a decent copy of a Sunpak 444D (or its European twin 36DX). Current running price is about $40.

No p-TTL, which I don't use any way, preferring thyristor auto mode, but solid, compact, powerful, tilt & swivel. It can also take high voltage power supply.

Next in line is Pentax AF280T.

If you want wireless, get an RF remote system to use with the flash.
06-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I think the most versatile very small flash on the market presently is probably the Metz 26 AF1. Unlike most or all of the others, AFAIK, It can also be used as a P TTL slave, and has a manual mode instead of being just a P TTL flash. I don't think any current flash can be used as a master/controller for P TTL wireless remote. The 26 AF1 is also probably the most convenient size as it can fit in a shirt pocket, but still has variable angled bounce capabilities. It is, however more pricey (@ $150 USD) than most of the other compact P TTL flashes available. At this time, I'd say that this is the flash I'd get if I had the K-3 II as can apparently also be used as a wireless remote flash with bodies that have onboard flash with master/controller wireless remote capabilities. I'll probably pick one up even if I don't go with the K-3 II, to use mostly as a wireless P TTL remote. P TTL is not the best system, but it works for my relatively simple needs.

Metz also makes a more compact flash, the 24 AF1, which looks along the lines of the Pentax 201 FG. AFAIK, it's a rebadge of a Chinese (?) unit that is also sold under a number of different brands for a lot less $$. It has a variable angle reflector, so can be bounced, and can only be used in P TTL mode, and only camera or with a P TTL compatible cord. Because of the physical design, it's not really pocketable, unless you have pretty loose pockets, but it is small and light.

I'm hoping that Pentax will offer a very compact solution that will allow wireless remote flash for use with bodies that don't have onboard flash included -- and here I'm assuming that there will be more of these coming in the future.
I can't find any manual for the AF 201 FG but wouldn't that be a bit more compact and doesn't it provide the P-TTL master function?

06-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Pentax AF201FG
I have it and just posted a review after I saw your post. Its a great little flash. and am very happy with it.
Yes, it or any of the inexpensive Pentax P-TTL compatible units (Bower, Vivitar, Metz, Polaroid, etc.) for under $100. Of course there are also the various available speedlights and auto-thyristor units that work quite nicely as non-dedicated flash.

Steve
06-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Holga 12S Flash with 5 Color Filter

Or get the more professional version, which costs 17.99
Kids would love this, laugh.
06-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I can't find any manual for the AF 201 FG but wouldn't that be a bit more compact and doesn't it provide the P-TTL master function?
I've never seen this touted as a feature, but I could be wrong. It does have the advantages of WR, and unlike the Chinese units sold under numerous brand names, it can be used in full manual mode though.

As far as being compact, IMO it's a bit thick to carry all the time in a pocket which is what I'd want to do with a camera with no onboard flash, or for use as a very portable P TTL wireless remote.

With the high ISO performance of the latest generations of sensors, I find little reason to lug a higher powered flash around in my kit. For me, GN @ 20 fills most of my needs, and if I can easily slip it in a pocket, then all the better because it's no real problem having it with me at all times.

Scott

06-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I've never seen this touted as a feature, but I could be wrong. It does have the advantages of WR, and unlike the Chinese units sold under numerous brand names, it can be used in full manual mode though.

As far as being compact, IMO it's a bit thick to carry all the time in a pocket which is what I'd want to do with a camera with no onboard flash, or for use as a very portable P TTL wireless remote.

With the high ISO performance of the latest generations of sensors, I find little reason to lug a higher powered flash around in my kit. For me, GN @ 20 fills most of my needs, and if I can easily slip it in a pocket, then all the better because it's no real problem having it with me at all times.

Scott
In other discussions about how to fill the gap the K3ii's lack of flash caused the 201 has been the answer most often. P-TTL Auto is a mode supported but that doesn't tell me if that's able to master or just the regular P-TTL mode.

Someone who has the flash - can you tell us if it is possible to trigger a remote P-TTL flash with it acting as the master?
06-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
I got the Pentax AF201FG at the same time as the K-3 II because it is small, simple, very portable (truly shirt pocket)
Someone who has the flash - can you tell us if it is possible to trigger a remote P-TTL flash with it acting as the master?
Well, if ronniemac is following this thread, perhaps, he will weigh in. The feature, if supported, would be a menu item of some sort. FWIW, the flash feature summary of the K-3II manual (p 91) states that neither wireless or slave are supported with the AF201FG when used on that camera. IMHO, I think it is doubtful that it is capable of coordinating P-TTL. That is pretty typical of the less expensive flashes, regardless of brand, that support Pentax P-TTL protocol.

Steve
06-29-2015, 11:58 PM   #25
Forum Member

Surprised that only one person here has mentioned a Yongnuo. Get the Yongnuo 560IV.

Yongnuo YN560-IV Speedlite YN-560IV B&H Photo Video

Really cheap but a powerful flash. It's all manual and it's great for learning flash, light and controlling it.

Would also pick up a pack of eneloops for the flash.

Panasonic Eneloop Pro Rechargeable AA Ni-MH K-KJ17KHCA4A B&H
06-30-2015, 03:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

In other discussions about how to fill the gap the K3ii's lack of flash caused the 201 has been the answer most often. P-TTL Auto is a mode supported but that doesn't tell me if that's able to master or just the regular P-TTL mode.

No, it is not wireless. And definitely does not on my K-5 (I tried it anyway). I did not find any small flashes that could be found as wireless masters. For that you will have to go for one of the bigger flashes. I will use it as a travel flash and having on a cord is not a problem when I need it off camera.
06-30-2015, 03:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

The master/ controller trigger function is a deal breaker aspect for many, I suspect, both for potential purchases of the fg201 AND the K3ii. It's not really true that triggering is a ' high end' type of feature, considering that the pop-up units on even our more simple DSLRs offer it .....

The problem is in order to be seen as a ' pop-up plus' offering, many would expect the key triggering functioning to be there. Without it, the whole off -camera flash game changes .....or you don't get a K3ii .... or a new FF .....

I think in reality, for the kind of user base we have, there is still a demand even among the more sophisticated users, for quick and easy P-TTL and manual triggering. Having the ability to quickly adjust flash exposure from the camera position using Flash Compensation is very handy. I really hope that the built-in flash with its trigger function won't be removed from every flagship model now .... Or if that's the way it's going then the accessory alternative should surely offer it.
06-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matt_lin18 Quote
Surprised that only one person here has mentioned a Yongnuo. Get the Yongnuo 560IV.

Yongnuo YN560-IV Speedlite YN-560IV B&H Photo Video

Really cheap but a powerful flash. It's all manual and it's great for learning flash, light and controlling it.

Would also pick up a pack of eneloops for the flash.

Panasonic Eneloop Pro Rechargeable AA Ni-MH K-KJ17KHCA4A B&H
That was me...
Well, maybe because it's not that small...
It's small-ish, in the sense that it's a flashgun and not a pack-and-head combo...
IMHO however no reason to pick a mkIV, you only get triggering functions, but those are useless if you only have one flash.
I'd go with a cheaper mkIII and - possibly - a mkIV (to be purchased in the future) or - maybe better - a YN-560TX to trigger it off-camera.
06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That was me...
It's small-ish, in the sense that it's a flashgun and not a pack-and-head combo...
IMHO however no reason to pick a mkIV, you only get triggering functions, but those are useless if you only have one flash.
I'd go with a cheaper mkIII and - possibly - a mkIV (to be purchased in the future) or - maybe better - a YN-560TX to trigger it off-camera.
True, I went ahead and bought a IV though. The difference between the III and IV on B&H is only $3.
06-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting discussion, I've been looking for such a small flash for a long time too (for macro).
Requirement being manual power control.
I've got the China copy of the Metz24. (I think)
It only works in auto mode, which is not ideal for my macro needs.

So do keep the suggestions coming.

I did see the Vivitar 285HV being mentioned..
I have one and it does not damage the DSLR (used it since K100D)
Its not longer a good option imo, as things have moved on.
For the price, China flashes like the YN560IV offer much more (and cheaper)

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That was me...
I quickly replaced my 285HV, Metz 48, YN560II with the IV and a 560TX.

The YN560IV is the same price as its predecessors (I get thru Taobao, a China website)
Function wise they are day and night.
The IV is not only a TX/RX, it also can control power and zoom of slave modules.

Saves a lot of trouble moving around flashes and opening up softboxes and lowering umbrellas.