Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using vintage manual lens with K-3ii

Hello All,
I have an old manual lens from way back, a Meyer f1.8 50mm, which I used on a Practica.
Some info on the lens can be found here Meyer-Optik Görlitz Oreston 1.8 50 | Vintage Camera Lenses.
This lens uses preset aperture, which can be stopped down via the button on the side, and via the rear pin which was actuated by the Practica when shutter button was pushed.
My question is essentially how one would use the lens with my K-3ii, assuming an M42 to K-mount adaptor.
I am guessing I would have to test exposure by adjusting the aperture ring and pressing the stop-down button on the side of the lens, whilst also half pressing the K-3ii shutter button. This sounds a bit complicated, but may not be in practice.
Anyone have any experience using this type of lens with a modern Pentax DSLR?

Cheers,
Terry

06-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html

---------- Post added 06-27-15 at 06:37 PM ----------

And welcome to the forums, by the way!
06-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
This sounds a bit complicated, but may not be in practice.
Anyone have any experience using this type of lens with a modern Pentax DSLR?
Yes, my Jupiter-9 has a pre-set aperture. Probably the easiest approach is to put your camera in Av mode. When you stop down using the button, the camera will choose an appropriate shutter speed according to the light reaching the meter sensor. You can then use the EV compensation to fine tune.

Edit: The lens you linked to is a standard auto-aperture M42 lens and does not have a pre-set aperture. The button on the side is not a preset button, it is the M/A switch. The M/A switch does pretty much the same thing, though on most cameras it stays in either the M or the A state. I can see what Arjay means by wedging the lever down. That should work, either that or surgery on the aperture pin.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-27-2015 at 10:40 PM.
06-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss 50mm 2.8 zebra had the same arrangement. At one point I wedged the lever button down with a nub of nylon/plastic. . But it was possible to do the three finger button press as you describe.