Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit of an exaggeration. The Asahiflex is an SLR.

06-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
A bit of an exaggeration. The Asahiflex is an SLR.
Picky, picky. OK, I went back and added modern before SLR.
06-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

a few mods

Great Idea, I just did a few mods

In 1957 we took our Asahiflex camera
added a pentaprism and viewfinder

and the worlds first modern SLR was born.

In 2007 we introduced worlds only consumer weather sealed body, the K10D than added to the family.

Pentax

Everything else is just a camera.
06-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
Remember when your dad got that Telephoto lens for his old Pentax? how he needed a tripod for sharp pics because of camera shake?
Just this afternoon I was using an old M42 lens my grandfather gave to my father a year or two before I was born (early 80s).

Sadly I can't ask him, as he passed away many years ago, but I suspect my grandfather would that think that was pretty cool.

"Cameras come and go, but the lens is forever."

06-15-2008, 02:51 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Just this afternoon I was using an old M42 lens my grandfather gave to my father a year or two before I was born (early 80s).

Sadly I can't ask him, as he passed away many years ago, but I suspect my grandfather would that think that was pretty cool.

"Cameras come and go, but the lens is forever."
The last line is an excellent slogan and could form the basis of a completely different slant where Pentax don't advertise the bodies as the main thrust, but their lenses instead. They now have a great range of excellent lenses to shout about (even though the DA*60-250 still hasn't arrived! )

Panasonic have been pushing TV adverts in the UK about their new P&S range having 28mm wide angle coverage and long telephoto capability rather than millions of pixels. In a large shopping mall yesterday, the same camera was being heavily promoted on the back of the TV adverts in many stores.

Pentax is a lens manufacturer, it needs to promote that aspect strongly and then also add that in keeping with their fine traditions they have award winning bodies to fit them to as well.

Inspirational advertising works well too, even with a challenging thrust.

I would suggest that something along the lines of "Are you demanding enough to deserve a Pentax ...." etc., etc.

I'm sure that many here could come up with conceptual strap lines that would not only make people feel they deserve to become a Pentaxian but want to as well.

Pentax make great products with probably more positives and less negatives than the other brands. The largest negative they have is the poor image they generate due to innefectual, uninspired marketing. It's not about the quantity, but the quality.

I see many less able products succeeding in the market place because their marketing is superior.

Marketing today is just as important as the innovations, but maybe (I hate to say this) even more so.
06-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon does the best job I have ever seen on advertising lens quality. People who can barely use a drebel come to class and they are talking about L lenses. Many can't even work the camera yet but they know about L lenses. Don't see this with any other brand. L lenses is like the 2nd phrase Canonites learn after the name Canon!

Think others mess up with too many stupid names for their lenses. Look at Pentax you got Limited, Da* etc. Its confusing. Which are the best? The US sports have a similar name problem. Largest two have Super Bowl and World Series. Can most people tell the name of the other sports championships?

Thanks
barondla

Checkout POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 winners in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-16-2008, 01:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
...snip. I would suggest that something along the lines of "Are you demanding enough to deserve a Pentax ...." etc., etc.

I'm sure that many here could come up with conceptual strap lines that would not only make people feel they deserve to become a Pentaxian but want to as well...snip.
OK, OK...I should stop checking this thread...but can't pass on this challenge. How about a tweak and an extension?

"Are you demanding enough to need a Pentax? Magnificent quality optical glass and lens coatings? Every Pentax lens made for the past 50 years stabilized? Weather-sealed camera bodies? The highest megapixel count in a consumer DSLR camera for less (almost seven thousand less!) than $8,000? Pentax."

Gad, I hate it when my mind turns to promotional thoughts...fanning that old confusion between needs and wants!

Last edited by christinelandon; 06-16-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: final comment
06-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #23

<snip>

Cameras come and go...

...but the lens is forever

Pentax smc M series. The magic of Yesteryear, on your digital SLR

(or something witty)
06-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
Cameras come and go...
Thanks for putting it to pictures mate!

The last time this type of thread came up, I got an idea in my head - a Pentax Camera morphing through the generations, always with the same lens attached.

A man photographing his child with an early camera.

The child grown older photographing a new child while the man, now grown older looks on.

The second child grown older photographing his grandfather and father with a K20D, the same lens still attached.

Done right I think it could be a pretty powerful image.
06-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Great Idea, I just did a few mods

In 1957 we took our Asahiflex camera
added a pentaprism and viewfinder
The Asahiflex had a viewfinder. It was a waist-level viewfinder. You meant to say "added.....and an eye-level viewfinder".
06-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I sometimes imagine the people working to make the old cameras I use and I believe they would be extraordinarily pleased to know that many decades later their handiwork is still being taken out and put to the use they intended it for. I know some people like to collect the vintage stuff just to collect and display it....but I buy mine to take pictures with.
06-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great idea Mike and a very good ad.
straightshooter, That is excellent. Just add some water splashing on the new bodies and you've got it nailed. Well done!
06-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

cpopham. Agreed. That would make a fantastic ad for TV. Maybe we could see some this Christmas instead of all the red and yellow ads?
06-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I love the idea of the lens being the bridge between generations of photographers. A commerical with a boy being taught the key to photography is the right lens (circa 70's-80's). As the father figure hands him the lens to install on the camera while setting up the timer on the camera. They both run to where the mother and baby are sitting to be in the picture. The camera pans back to bring the camera/tripod into frame when the flash goes off and the camera clicks. Zoom in close enough so all you see are the words Pentax on the lens. Zoom out to see a young man and his son, modern clothes, using a new Kx0D with the same lens as he and his son join the mother and baby for a family photo.

tag line:
Lenses and memories to last forever... Pentax
06-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What a bunch of great ideas. I love the "continuity of lenses" concepts. Hope Ned B. and RPA are listening...