Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The Asahiflex had a viewfinder. It was a waist-level viewfinder. You meant to say "added.....and an eye-level viewfinder".
Really if we look at it, the Asahiflex had both the waist-level TTL viewfinder and eye-level rangefinder type viewing. So how about if we just make it "added the pentaprism" and drop the word viewfinder. I went back and edited it. (sigh) Again. LOL

I love the ideas using family generations to highlight the legacy lenses

To emphasize legacy lenses how about this on TV
Scene: 1962 closeup of grandfather using a Super-Takumar 135 on H1a to photograph grandson at bat. Grandson waves at grandfather and hits a home run. Grandfather smiles.
Lap dissolve to
Scene: 2008 Pentax user and Canikon user (Ashton lookalike?) photographing baseball game.
Closeup of Pentax user with same Super-Takumar 135 on K20D.
Canikon user: What kind of lens is that?
Pentax user: It's a lens my grandfather bought in 1962 to photograph me playing baseball. Now I'm using it to photograph my grandson.
Canikon user: (Amazed) It's 46 years old and you can use it on your digital?
Pentax user: Well of course and it even works with the built in shake reduction. Can't you use your older lenses on your camera?
Canikon user: Uh, no. (slinks off to other end of bleachers)
Grandson waves to Pentax user and hits a home run. Pentax user smiles.
Announcer voice over: Pentax. Quality and modern features but we didn't forget our past.

CW

Last edited by straightshooter; 06-16-2008 at 09:32 AM.
06-16-2008, 01:49 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Here's one:

Young man with new Pentax DSLR visits his grandmother's home, they root around in a closet and dig out Grandpa's old gear from the early 60s, with Grandma expressing regrets that it's old , obsolete and useless now. Young man snatches an Auto-Takumar out of the bag, mounts it, and takes a photo of Grandma....."I'm sorry, what were you saying?"
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Hope Ned B. and RPA are listening...
Perhaps we could point Ned in the direction of this thread?

I know that I, for one, would be happy for Pentax to run with the idea.
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a sustainable future could learn from Pentax how to build to last

I like the many angles you try to bring to attention the remarkable fact that 40 years old lenses still work on cameras fresh from the factory, and is indeed used by not a small number of people. It is actually remarkable. Can't think of too many fields of manufacturing were this is possible. The best musical instruments last that long or longer, but they are in practice manufactured by hand.

There is one more angle of this. In a future with more sparse energy resources and more expensive materials, be it plastic or metal, it will most likely be necessary to consume less material and energy. An obvious way to do that would be to build things to last longer. The pentaxians using several generations of lenses sets a great example. Currently I'm too tired (two hours past midnight in this time zone) to suggest exactly how, but there must be a way to use that angle to sell Pentax. Obviously Pentax has already in the past decided that they are not afraid of selling less new lenses by keeping the new cameras compatible with the old lenses. And please don't tell me anything like that we cannot afford to build more durable because our society builds on consumption, or that I'm contradicting myself by wanting people to consume more new Pentax gear. Remember, I'm at the moment only trying to suggest an angle that work to sell Pentax.

06-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I like the many angles you try to bring to attention the remarkable fact that 40 years old lenses still work on cameras fresh from the factory, and is indeed used by not a small number of people. It is actually remarkable.
Indeed, it is remarkable. Consider that for many people, cameras are a way of capturing memories, of preserving a moment to pass it down from generation to generation.

Isn't it then rather poetic that not only is a lens a tool that we use to capture a moment for the future, but is, itself also something which can be handed down from the past. This may seem odd, given it's an inanimate object, but sometimes when handling an old lens I can't help but wonder - what has this lens seen?

Maybe in practical terms the use of old lenses it isn't that important, but there is something psychological to it which grabs me - so much in our modern world is disposable, it's nice to find something which is a link to the past, both physically and metaphorically.
06-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Awesome thread and great ideas.

c[_]
06-17-2008, 03:25 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
A man photographing his child with an early camera.

The child grown older photographing a new child while the man, now grown older looks on.

The second child grown older photographing his grandfather and father with a K20D, the same lens still attached.

Done right I think it could be a pretty powerful image.

Damn! That just played through in my mind's eye and gave me chills! What a brilliant concept! As a new father, the thought of my little boy growing up and snapping his kids with the same lenses I've taken a million pictures of him with puts a really big smile on my face.

06-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #38
Veteran Member

A guy goes to a camera store and buys the latest Pentax DSLR. The salesman asks him about purchasing a lens and he replies, "I think I'll drive around town Saturday morning and buy some."

We then see him going to yard sales and picking up gems for peanuts, the ad incorporating or finishing with photos taken with his new K20D or K200D and an assortment of garage sale lenses.
06-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vormulac Quote
Damn! That just played through in my mind's eye and gave me chills! What a brilliant concept! As a new father, the thought of my little boy growing up and snapping his kids with the same lenses I've taken a million pictures of him with puts a really big smile on my face.
I had the same reaction. Several of the suggestions are giving me chills.
06-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
A guy goes to a camera store and buys the latest Pentax DSLR. The salesman asks him about purchasing a lens and he replies, "I think I'll drive around town Saturday morning and buy some."

We then see him going to yard sales and picking up gems for peanuts, the ad incorporating or finishing with photos taken with his new K20D or K200D and an assortment of garage sale lenses.
Come on Mike. LOL Throw at least a little bone to the DA* lens guys. Afterall, everyone needs at least one versatile weather sealed lens. Have the guy buy at least one DA* lens and then drive around picking up vintage gems.
06-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #41
Veteran Member

You see we would have a different set of commericals on the History Channel, National Geographic Channel and the Discovery Channel of guys using K20Ds with DA* lens in "extreme" weather to capture those iconic moments
06-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why not just show an old person taking his lens off a K1000 (it's the icon so why not) and putting it on a K20D

the caption is "Don't you wish you could just snap on a new body too!"
06-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
why not just show an old person taking his lens off a K1000 (it's the icon so why not) and putting it on a K20D

the caption is "Don't you wish you could just snap on a new body too!"
^ This post wins the thread. Hands down.

Awesome!

c[_]
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
^ This post wins the thread. Hands down.

Awesome!

c[_]
QFT. Lowell wins the thread.
06-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, so this one is a little longer than Lowells (which is wonderful by the way) and is similar to cpopham's in some ways... this one will take a lot of digital hollywood style magic... you'll see why...

--------------------------------------------------

1950s - Young boy (10-12) with a crewcut, wearing a typical 50s era button shirt with a Asahiflex around his neck walks around a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood taking photos...

fade out/fade in

1960s - Same guy only a little older and with long hair in a hippy shirt and hat taking photos of a group of recruits heading off to Vietnam with his Spotmatic. One of the recruits shoots back with his own Spotmatic. We zoom in only to see its the same guy, now heading off to war..

fade out/fade in

1970s - Same guy, still older, now wearing a leisure suit and snapping away in a disco with his MX or LX...

fade out/fade in

1980s - Same guy, slightly gray around the temples living in the burbs taking photos of his family BBQ in the backyard with his autofocus ME-F...

fade out/fade in

1990s - Same guy, much more mature shooting with an MZ series camera on a cruise while his 20something daughter shoots with a his old Spotmatic, MX or LX

fade out/fade in

2000s - now a grandpa, our diehard Pentaxian is showing the grandkids all of the lenses he can use on the new K20D. The older cameras sit in camera bags scattered around the scene...

fade out/fade in

still 2000s - granpa with his K20D standing in the wilderness with the camera on a tripod composing a breathtaking landscape photo...

fade to "Pentax - cameras for the ages for all ages"

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.