Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How Can I Determine Focal Length?

Hey, guys. I was practicing with my kit lens for this month's photo contest. The rules state that the picture must be 25 mm focal length or less. The problem is - since my kit lens zooms from 18-55mm, how can I be sure that I'm staying below 25 mm? I've already taken some pictures and I'm not 100% sure if I stayed below 25 mm. Is there a way to check on my computer program (I'm using iPhoto)?

Any information would be helpful.

Terri

06-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focal length is usually in the EXIF data of the original photo. I use PhotoME to read EXIF data:

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

Hope that helps.
06-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Zoom to what you think is 25mm, take a photo, then view it and press Info until you get the full info screen that tells you the focal length. Adjust as necessary.

BUT... Do they want an actual 25mm focal length, or 25mm in 35mm equivalency? If so, your 18-55 is not wide enough, as it's only a 27mm in 35mm eq.

Joe
06-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by stormdore Quote
Hey, guys. I was practicing with my kit lens for this month's photo contest. The rules state that the picture must be 25 mm focal length or less. The problem is - since my kit lens zooms from 18-55mm, how can I be sure that I'm staying below 25 mm? I've already taken some pictures and I'm not 100% sure if I stayed below 25 mm. Is there a way to check on my computer program (I'm using iPhoto)?

Any information would be helpful.

Terri
When shooting, just look at the zoom ring. On the 18-55, there is a mark for 24. Set it there or lower and you should be okay.

After shooting, take a look at the EXIF information. While viewing the image in the camera, press the info button. It will give you all the pertinent information. If the images are downloaded into the computer, you can also see all the info you need using the Pentax photo browser software. It will probably show up in the properties of the image in Windows, too. Right click on the image, then left click on Properties, the click on the advanced button to see the information.

06-13-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi, Joe. It's 25mm or less in digital format. So, I'll be OK.

Mr. A - Thanks for the site. I'm checking it out now....

Terri
06-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Mr. A - I've only played around so far, but that program is awesome!! Thanks for sharing...

Terri