Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 07:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

In some other photography forums, owners of D7000 series cameras often complain they have a hard time using manual focus. The viewfinder is not so good, without any focusing aid in LV. Sure, these things don't get mentioned in reviews and aren't the most glamorous features to talk about, but you understabnd their importance the day you shoot side by side in manual focus with a Nikon user. I didn't understood what was the guy problem with manual focusing until we switch bodies for me to look at it, trying to help him. Then, it becamed evident how much difference a good VF could make and how useful focus peaking could be when you need it. It wasn't even a K-3, but just a K-500.

So, if you often use manual focus, do yourself a favor and get the K-3. However, if you work a lot with multiple TTL flashes, take the Nikon.

06-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the things to remember for manufacturers with overpopulated lists of different models is the concept that we used to call spivs, when I was a salesman. Nikon and Canon both have a lot of different models at fairly small differences in price, and also seem to flood the market with product. It is also very easy to buy a previous model number with very similar specs, or even the model before that -NIB!

As a result, the retailer will often pay the salesperson a lump sum to get rid of last year's model. Soo, if the salesperson can only shift you away from your inconvenient desire to own a Pentax, there is a much greater chance for him to get you to buy a Canikon that fattens his wallet!

I used to work in a white goods store, and it was bloody hard work stacking all the fridges and washing machines in the store, hiding the spivless ones in the storeroom, only to have to move them around the next month because the spiv list had changed!
06-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I'd tend to agree with AquaDome and CarlJF based on what I've read, The 7100 especially has issues with the noise and banding in the shadows. Obviously, the system is more key than the comparisons of bodies. That said, the build of the K-3 is closer to the (essentially retired) D300 than the D7000 series. Nikon has essentially left the semi-pro to pro market in crop sensors. Yes, Nikon has an edge in lens selection, especially when considering third-party offerings. The flash system is better. However, if size is important, better value and quality in bodies at the higher end, and an apparent commitment to APSc moving forward - Pentax has a clear advantage.
06-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Was that at Midwest?
Yes it was, it really kind of shocked me, because they are usually pretty cool in there.

06-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

There is way more available for Pentax cameras than i will ever be able to use or afford.

QuoteQuote:
Is this becoming an issue, obtaining newly engineered after market lenses for Pentax cameras? Please chime in here.
The other camera I was looking at was the Nikon D 7100. Again I called numerous shops and they touted the availabilty of accessories.
What your salesmen are really saying is, "because of our poor support for Pentax product based on the marketing tactics of larger volume manufacturers, you will probably end up buying most of your accessories on line, instead of from us, and that's bad for us."

At least at my nearest store, the salesman said " the Pentax rep comes through here every few weeks and we sell a lot of their weather proof out door point and shoots. We'll order what ever you want for you." I'd rather just order on-line, but at least he tried to get my business. What kind of salesmen are you talking to?
06-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #21

Another mention in terms of ergonomics, the D7000 / D7100 / D7200 line is HUGE* !!! ( *for an APS-C camera; full frame is a different ballpark )

I borrowed a D7000 from one of my coworkers to shoot a friends small wedding. I agree it's a very nice camera with great image quality, but it felt huge and cumbersome. When I bought a K-3 I found it was much more compact and fit better in my hand. Granted, it's still a hefty DSLR with some weight to it and it may be more intimidating than a point and shoot pocket camera, but not nearly as large and intimidating to subjects as a Nikon D7000. The K-3 is closer in size to the Nikon D5xxx line than the D7xxx line.

Try this link to compare sizes between different cameras and you'll see what I mean. (Images are sized to the same scale)
K-3 vs D7100
Compare camera dimensions side by side

K-3 vs D5300
Compare camera dimensions side by side

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 06-30-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: D7xxx line is HUGE ---> for APS-C. Full frame is a different ballpark.
06-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
All,

I'd like to thank everyone who took time out of their busy day to comment on the concerns I had. Notice I said, I had. I'm going to go with the Pentax K3II. Now, I have to start reseaching lenses (which will be fun) and flash units. :-) It may take a while to do the research; however, I'm looking forward getting new equipment once I decide on the lenses.
07-01-2015, 05:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Just ask us we'll tell you what to buy. There's more qualified lens consultants on this forum than you can shake a stick at. Mind you they all give different advice.

But just for a start

One of ultra wide angle.
Sigma 8-16
Sigma 10-20
Pentax 12-24

One of medium standard zoom.
SIgma 17-70
Pentax 17-70
Pentax 16-85
Pentax 18-135

One of standard 50.
FA 50 1.7
DA 50 1.8
DA 55 1.4
FA 50 1.4

One of mid range primes.
DA 35 macro
FA 50 macro
D fA 100 macro
Tamron 90 Macro
SIgma 70 macro
SIgma 105 macro

3 of
15 ltd
21 ltd
Sigma 30 1.4
31 ltd
43 ltd
77 ltd
DA 70
DA 35
DA 40
40 XS

One of telephoto zooms (Tis section optional)
Tamron 70-200
Sigma 70-200
DA* 60-250
DA 55-300
Sigma 18-250

One of really long less... (this section optional.)
DA*200 ƒ2.8 with 1.4 TC
DA*300 ƒ4 with 1.4 TC
D FA 150-450
Sigma 50-500
SIgma 150-500

Other options. (These lenses are optional.)

DA*50-135
DA*16-50
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 16-50
SIgma 18-35

Just check off what you want and go buy them. Easy peasy.

Nothing is more time consuming for less gain, than stressing about lenses. It's all about getting the time to learn to use them after you get them.

People will argue about their preferences for the lenses in these categories until they are blue in the face, and in then, it probably won't matter what you buy, you'll be happy with it.

It's nice to have list, you can skip whole categories if necessary. But taking a co-ordinated approach might help you avoid duplication.

For example if you select the DA 35 macro you probably don't want the DA 35 as well, and you might want to think good an hard about getting a 40.

Last edited by normhead; 07-01-2015 at 05:29 AM.
07-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just ask us we'll tell you what to buy. There's more qualified lens consultants on this forum than you can shake a stick at. Mind you they all give different advice.

But just for a start

One of ultra wide angle.
Sigma 8-16
Sigma 10-20
Pentax 12-24

One of medium standard zoom.
SIgma 17-70
Pentax 17-70
Pentax 16-85
Pentax 18-135

One of standard 50.
FA 50 1.7
DA 50 1.8
DA 55 1.4
FA 50 1.4

One of mid range primes.
DA 35 macro
FA 50 macro
D fA 100 macro
Tamron 90 Macro
SIgma 70 macro
SIgma 105 macro

3 of
15 ltd
21 ltd
Sigma 30 1.4
31 ltd
43 ltd
77 ltd
DA 70
DA 35
DA 40
40 XS

One of telephoto zooms (Tis section optional)
Tamron 70-200
Sigma 70-200
DA* 60-250
DA 55-300
Sigma 18-250

One of really long less... (this section optional.)
DA*200 2.8 with 1.4 TC
DA*300 4 with 1.4 TC
D FA 150-450
Sigma 50-500
SIgma 150-500

Other options. (These lenses are optional.)

DA*50-135
DA*16-50
Tamron 17-50
Sigma 16-50
SIgma 18-35

Just check off what you want and go buy them. Easy peasy.

Nothing is more time consuming for less gain, than stressing about lenses. It's all about getting the time to learn to use them after you get them.

People will argue about their preferences for the lenses in these categories until they are blue in the face, and in then, it probably won't matter what you buy, you'll be happy with it.

It's nice to have list, you can skip whole categories if necessary. But taking a co-ordinated approach might help you avoid duplication.

For example if you select the DA 35 macro you probably don't want the DA 35 as well, and you might want to think good an hard about getting a 40.
All those yours, Normhead? LOL
My wife used to use a kit lens with her K100D and by golly the photos that come out of there were amazing!
There are as many opinions as there are lenses....
Confusing but a lot of great help on these forums

Rand
07-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I would say that there was a time when Pentax wasn't doing well at all a few years ago, when they were owned by Hoya. Few new products were released and their camera bodies really lagged in some areas. Ricoh purchased them about three years ago and has put out a lot of interesting camera bodies and lenses in the short time since then and it looks like they are planning to release a full frame camera in the fall.

I happen to live in a rural part of the country. The closest camera shops to me are over an hour's drive away. Locally a Walmart stocks a Canon T5 (or something like that) and a Nikon D3200. So, I end up doing my shopping on line. B and H and Adorama both have full line ups of Pentax gear and have excellent service and are quick to take gear back if it has any problems, so that's the direction I usually go.

As to why I use a K3? I have appreciate Pentax ergonomics, the line up of small, tightly constructed lenses, in body shake reduction, and lenses that offer weather sealing for prices that don't break the bank.

Probably the most important thing for you is not to focus on the camera body (although I personally would choose a K3 over a D7100), but on the lenses you would like to buy. Pentax doesn't have a lot of specialty lenses, but they certainly do have an excellent line up in the standard lenses.

Great picture. What lens did you use? When I lived in New York there were two local camera retailers that I shopped and the salespersons never put down Pentax at all; B&H and Adorama.
07-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

The awful thing about normhead's list is that I have already fulfilled 5, maybe 6, of the different categories, and I don't feel as though I am anywhere near finished yet. A list like that challenges my pokemon syndrome - I have to collect them all!
07-02-2015, 04:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
The awful thing about normhead's list is that I have already fulfilled 5, maybe 6, of the different categories, and I don't feel as though I am anywhere near finished yet. A list like that challenges my pokemon syndrome - I have to collect them all!
Ha ha, well, I did say "Just for a start". The there will be your personal interest lenses, the lenses you get because you such a good deal you can't refuse, the lenses you get because you analyzed you data, and it turns out you really need low light wide angle prime, or whatever. 'm up to 17 lenses, and if a million bucks fell into my lap. I'd buy the 15 ltd, 31 ltd, 77ltd, 200 2.8, 3004 and fDA 150-450 tomorrow. I don't really have to have them, but I'd have a million dollars, so why not?
07-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #28
Emperor and Senpai

All of my lenses are in my profile. I am sure I am done.
07-02-2015, 05:37 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
All those yours, Normhead? LOL
My wife used to use a kit lens with her K100D and by golly the photos that come out of there were amazing!
There are as many opinions as there are lenses....
Confusing but a lot of great help on these forums

Rand
The lens won't compose the shot for you. I know a couple people who have cheap P&S or cellphone cameras who produce stunning images. They just have the eye!
Frequently, at the same time I'm trying to get pictures of bees or other insects, not looking at the "big picture" in front of me...we're all different. We'll compare photos later and they'll ask me where that bug was - right next to you, of course.
07-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
If you thought the K10D was a great camera you will find the K-3 a far greater camera. I want from K10D to K-5 to K-3 and each one was a significant improvement over the previous one. High quality lenses are very easy to get for the K-3. Once I got my first Limiteds, some of them I bought used I was hooked on a system of small high quality primes. No way I would give up on these and jump to Nikon or Canon. If anything I think Pentax is better under Ricoh than it was under Hoya when the K10D was in production.
Just a small note: The K10D was released when Pentax was owned by Pentax Corporation, before Hoya bought them. Hoya actually seemed to make things worse for Pentax (though the cameras were never bad), but Ricoh seems to be making things better.

One of the biggest attractions of Pentax for me was the ability to use old glass, with good manual focus capability and shake reduction on affordable APS-C bodies. That opens up possibilities to get quality on a budget as long as you don't mind going to manual focus at times.

Pentax has also been the most dedicated maker of APS-C bodies and accessories, since their flagship camera has been an APS-C. The only concern I have with the upcoming release of the "full frame" camera is that it may lead to less dedication to great APS-C cameras, but there's no place else to go, and I don't foresee them falling out of the top spot for APS-C features on still cameras any time soon.

I admit that it was a bit disheartening to see the reduction in third party lens development for the K mount a few years ago, but not disheartening enough for me to switch to a different system. Things are looking up since Ricoh took over from Hoya, and I expect to see more interest from third parties again in the future.