Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_G Quote
Folks:

dial set to Auto...

Any suggestions would be helpful!
The biggest thing you can do is get the dial off Auto. That mode does not allow you to make any input - most importantly exposure compensation. For now, try using P mode that works similarly to Auto, and allows you to change settings, and you can shoot in raw if desired. Worry about composition and exposure first.

07-01-2015, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of good ideas here, but, there are about 40 different identified learning styles, and reading is a very inefficient learning device for about 30 of them. I assume everyone on the forum are efficient readers, but for many of us, it's worth our while to have some kinds of hands on learning experience.

And for some people, reading can never replace hands on.
07-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Holy schnikies! All you folks are awesome. I really appreciate the considered advice. I do have a couple books, but I find watching, listening and playing along really make things sink in for me. Yeah, just getting it off auto is that first, big step. I will definitely look into all of these. Thanks so much, everyone.
07-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Try this

I think another good idea try Kelby course online
Cost may be 150$ per year
But you have access to hundred online superior classes and instructors
I use several year very interesting and great class
Plus several discount for photoshop and Photoshop magazine

07-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #20
Forum Member

Holy schnikies! All you folks are awesome. I really appreciate the considered advice. I do have a couple books, but I find watching, listening and playing along really make things sink in for me. Yeah, just getting it off auto is that first, big step. I will definitely look into all of these. Thanks so much, everyone.
In this case, I'd have a look for some photography workshops. No idea how it works in the US, but most towns in EU, medium and big in size, have some sort of workshops w/fieldtrips on offer. Some paid, some free. I'd have a Google for 'photography groups in town X' and see what comes up.

I'd still read the basics. If you're not a reader as such, skip the books, go for short articles on the web. Ask yourself: do I know what ISO is and how it works, same for Aperture and shutter speed; and what are the synergies between the three factors. That's really all you need to understand for frustration free start (so short reading while having a play with the camera to know how to adjust each of these settings - just turning your dials and pressing buttons until you can modify all three alone and in respect to one another) . As you learn more from other sources with which you are comfy, you just might find yourself wanting to read more about the camera anyhow

Best of luck
07-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Scott Kelby

Scott Kelby has a series of small manuals that have to do we DSLRS in general but it has a lot of "right to the point" helpful information. It is a set of 4 but darn if I can remember the name! Maybe someone can chime in here please

Randy
07-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Digital photography part 1-4 Kelby
costco or amazon

07-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Digital photography part 1-4 Kelby
costco or amazon
That's the name

Thanks!

Randy
07-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
about Kelby series, I find that the 5th part is the best (Part 5: Photo Recipes), it shows the final image and then explain the settings for that final image very useful !
07-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Signed up for the on-line photo course out of Australia. So far the big thing I've gotten out of it is that I don't need to worry about a lot of settings since I shoot RAW anyway. Also, the Kelby 5-part series arrived today, and I'm about half way through book #1. Oh - and I've taken quite a few crappy photos while playing around with the settings on my K30. Woo hoo!
07-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Folks:

Not sure if this is the exact forum I should be posting in but. . . I'm tired of being ignorant. I use my K30 to mostly take PR photos. Everything's in focus, everybody famed medium, dial set to Auto. ::sigh:: I want to be more artistic with my camera, use it with less than 20 flood lamps at once. I'm tired of relying on either a bright day or Lightroom. I'm ready to play with light and shadow, content, and all that other fun stuff.

What I'm looking for is some handholding, I guess. Either a pre-recorded video class covering the K30 specifically and photography in general, or a Pentax "expert" - someone who knows more than me and can communicate it - who's willing to work with me for a few hours until I can get stuff through my thick skull.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
It is easy to get bogged down in all the options available in modern cameras. It may help you to remember that there are three basic settings apart from ISO.
1) Focus
2) Aperture setting
3) Speed setting

Keep these basics in mind to avoid being swamped by secondary details. After all, this is all that earlier cameras dealt with anyway. Once you anchor to the basics, you can venture into options which may suit you. Not all will.