Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Pentax K30 / K50 And Manual Lenses

Hello, I'm new so I figured I would start my 2nd post with lots of questions.

I've been enjoying Using manual lenses with my Canon EOS-M and it's a growing collection. Can someone give me some insight on if there are any sensor hitting problems on the Pentax k30 / k50 like on Canon EOS camera's?

What about using older lenses? I understand that older pentax work as long as they mount, but I have a lot of M42 lenses. M39 Lenses. Some Minolta MD,MC, Canon FD, Exakta. Do adapters exist for these? Do any have AF confirmation, aka a red focus point that blinks? Does focus peaking work for these lenses? Lastly any chance of adapting any of my newer Canon EF lenses? (even without AF)

I am looking for a full sized DSLR that I can use with my older lenses. I actually enjoy my Canon 5Dc, but alas , most of my older lenses have mirror clearance issues. And of course no focus peaking, or zoom features.

Thanks I'm sure I'll be learning a lot.

06-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vroger Quote

I've been enjoying Using manual lenses with my Canon EOS-M and it's a growing collection. Can someone give me some insight on if there are any sensor hitting problems on the Pentax k30 / k50 like on Canon EOS camera's?

What about using older lenses? I understand that older pentax work as long as they mount, but I have a lot of M42 lenses. M39 Lenses. Some Minolta MD,MC, Canon FD, Exakta. Do adapters exist for these? Do any have AF confirmation, aka a red focus point that blinks? Does focus peaking work for these lenses? Lastly any chance of adapting any of my newer Canon EF lenses? (even without AF)

I am looking for a full sized DSLR that I can use with my older lenses. I actually enjoy my Canon 5Dc, but alas , most of my older lenses have mirror clearance issues. And of course no focus peaking, or zoom features.

You can use M42 lenses just fine, and probably M39 as well, if you can find an adapter. M42 adapters are rather common. I also believe you can use Minolta lenses with the PKMM mount adapter, but you're out of luck on Canon lenses due to their registration distance. If you want a camera primarly for adapting older lenses (other than K mount and M42 glass), I'd say going mirrorless would be the most logical choice.

Here's info on how to actually use manual lenses with the K-30/50, etc.:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the prompt response. Thoughts on a Exakta adapter? The canon's aren't as big of a deal as I only have one FD, and I can keep my 5D for my EF lenses. I'll have to see what the adapter costs would add up to. But even if went with something like the Sony A6000, I would have adapter costs. And I'm not a huge fan of the small body, any larger body mirror less cost way more.

75% of my manual focuses are M42, followed by a few M39, one mintola today, one Exakta. I do like the option for the later because some are nice, and silver and shine nice. :0)
07-01-2015, 03:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

they mount, but I have a lot of M42 lenses. M39 Lenses.
Buy the m42 to K adapter and they will work. For m39 you would need another ring between m39 and m42.
I recommend getting the genuine Pentax m42 adapter, but there are many other cheaper options online. Just beware, some are poorly machined and some prevent focusing to infinity. The genuine one has neither of these problems. There are plenty of lenses on how to actually use the manual lenses with modern DSLRs. Its not difficult, you can even use Catch in Focus for something similar to AF. And some of those older lenses are comparable to modern glass, some offer special rendering that you cannot get with modern glass.

In terms of adapting lenses in general the Sony cameras are better overall, because they have a shorter register distance and no mirror. (though, short register distance can cause problems with the angle of incidence for some lenses, but that is relatively rare). But when it comes to m42, Pentax is great because they have the same register distance.

07-01-2015, 04:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

t

Welcome to Pentax.

To make a long story short, Pentax K bayoneted lenses will work on any Pentax DSLR and you can meter in manual mode using stopped down metering.

M42 lenses will work when using a suitable M42 adaptor. Depending upon the lens, you may need more than one adaptor, the genuine Pentax one is good for any lens that has a A/M switch, or is a preset (fully manual aperture) lens, but "auto" m42 lenses without an A/M switch, require a slightly different adaptor that depresses the aperture control pin. There is also a simple mod to the lens that can achieve the same effect.

M39 lenses usually come with an M39 to M42 adaptor.

Canon, or Minolta lenses cannot mount directly and require a special adaptor to achieve infinity focus, because the canon and Minolta systems have a shorter registry distance (lens mount to focal plane) than Pentax. So even if they did mount directly, focus is not possible. The adaptors have glass elements that are effectively tele converters. Optical quality of these adaptors is not great. As a result, especially the older breach mount canon lenses are somewhat of a orphan as even cannon abandoned its user base in the late 1980s

Nikon mounts are very close in design to Pentax, and while they do not mount perfectly many people claim that they are useable.

Lastly, there is one person out there who has patented and gone into business making an aftermarket lens body side lens mount that accepts several different lens systems. Check this link. The adaptist is a forum member also http://petapixel.com/2014/03/04/multi-mount-offers-integrated-solution-for-u...-on-your-dslr/

As for exacta I cannot say

Trust this helps

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 07-01-2015 at 04:35 AM.
07-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, with Pentax ALL your manual lenses get shake reduction and focus confirmation.

I find that old K-mount glass is just as fun and cheap as M42, so going Pentax opens up that avenue, too.
07-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and I am finding that legacy glass feeds my LBA tremendously....