Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Either the K-3(II) or the K-5IIs. The K-3 versions are better in most ways, but if you are going to shoot two bodies you might want to have the same button layout on both. In which case the K-5IIs would be a better choice. It will still be an improvement over the K-5 in sharpness and autofocus.

One special advantage with the K-3(II) over the K-5IIs shooting weddings is the AA filter simulator to reduce the risk of moiré.
With weddings there is a greater chance of moire on dresses. So do not ingnore the K5ll with its built in anti aliasing filter. Would think twice about the 5lls for weddings unless you were comfortable with dealing with moire in Lightroom or similar.

Note also that K3 is a very different beast to the K5 and, as noted above, has buttons in different places. It is less forgiving to camera shake and poor technique. I also comes with a smaller manual. It is however reputedly a great camera, particularly for sports and wildlife pictures.

With the K3ll with its lack of flash. Think twice about this. Built in flash is useful in an emergency and is often used to help trigger remote flashes.

07-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'd go with the K-3(II) just because I can't live without focus peaking.
07-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter

I would go with the K-3...NOT the K-3ii for a few months. I, and others, have had to return their K-3ii because it would not turn off and due to GPS issues.
Sure, I am getting it replaced for free. But it will be about 3 weeks that I will be without a camera when all is said and done. And that is assuming that my replacement isn't also bad.
07-07-2015, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I work with 2 K-30's and a K5II. The K5II is the main workhorse camera, the camera I use the most to save wear and tear on my Red K-30 and my White K-30 because I want to keep them for a good LONG while. The K5II is more easily replaced, shrug. Honestly when I got it I did not plan on keeping it. It was bargain priced with the 18-135WR and a 50mm AF prime. I meant just to get it for the lenses and sell the K5II off. But a few days of playing with it and I realized it just wasn't going to happen. :P I really like the K5II. It's not complicated to use. It's a bit heavy for me at times but overall the ergonomics are good. The K3's they're just too damned much camera for me. I don't need half the bells and whistles. Maybe you do, but if you don't? The K5II is a really usable and economical alternative, IMHO. I would not trade mine for a K3 seriously. The more I read about the K3's the less I want one. It's just too much fussing compared to the K5II and my K-30's. I just don't need a whole new learning curve or that many pixels...

07-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cmely Quote
Hello,

I'm currently owning a K5 which is working great. But I'm going to be in need of a second camera. So I'm currently looking around and ... I'm hesitating .

Because of some reviews (not sure of their relevance though), it seems that K3 and K3ii (compared to k5ii or k5iis) have some drawbacks. For what I remain, it's essentially smaller battery life and less good noise reduction in higher ISO (seems that K3 may be even a little bit under the K5 on that aspect).

What is your experience with those aspects ? and in a general usage ? and what would be your advice : K5 ii, K5 iiS, K3, K3 ii ?

Knowing that :
  • Price is not a criteria,
  • I'm not specially in need of a built in GPS,
  • I'm not specially in need of a built in flash,
  • Usage will be mainly wedding, portrait and events.
Thank you very much for your help

I'd say for your usage: wedding, portrait and events, K5-IIs bring a few things vs K5:
- better AF performance in low light
- more sharpness... But this not one bit relevant for events, portraiture or weddings.

And K3 bring much more vs K5-IIs:
- much more responsive AF in all conditions, including low light, better for moving subjects and action.
- many small AF points that focus precisely where you want (for example the eyes) instead of peaking up the nose or ears. Interresting for portraitures taken with AF instead of MF.
- significantly more accurate white balance and exposure
- possibility to keep the low pass filter: might be important for hair and clothes...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-11-2015 at 11:32 AM.
07-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned a K-10, K-5 and now have both a K-5 IIs and K-3. I've had good luck with the K-5 IIs, but was intrigued by the K-3 with it's higher resolution. With the K-3 being my favorite, the K-5IIs spends a lot of time in the bag. And, apparently, while resting in the bag, it has lost it's ability to AF with my Sigma 17-70 zoom lens. It functions with my Pentax DA* lenses (200mm, 50-135 zoom) with no issues, although a little more slowly than the K-3, which virtually 'snaps' the lenses into focus. The K-5IIs just doesn't like the Sigma lens, I guess. I have the Pentax 20-40mm Limited coming on Monday and will see if the K-5IIs 'likes' it. Otherwise, I'm going to have to go the repair route (no longer under warranty) with the K-5IIs body. That will make it an expensive camera.
07-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I have a K5, K5-IIs and a K3. I also have several manual focus lenses I've acquired since I got my first SLR in 1971 or so. I find that focus confirmation with the K3 is better than with the K5/K5-IIs.
Agree with that. I have K5IIs and K3II and in my opinion K5IIs could not track moving target at all and would slow down consecutive shooting drastically if you choose AF-c.
K3II seek to do that job a lot better and give you an option of setting how well you want focus to stick to the moving target.
Never the less, K5IIs does everything else pretty good and wouldn't require upgrade to 3 series if you are primary after a good quality images.
07-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zeljko_pentax Quote
Agree with that. I have K5IIs and K3II and in my opinion K5IIs could not track moving target at all and would slow down consecutive shooting drastically if you choose AF-c.
K3II seek to do that job a lot better and give you an option of setting how well you want focus to stick to the moving target.
Never the less, K5IIs does everything else pretty good and wouldn't require upgrade to 3 series if you are primary after a good quality images.
For good quality image, there no much difference between a K30 and a K5-IIs. There would be one difference: the removal of the low pass filter for K5-IIs allowing for a bit more cropping than with a K30.

What justify K3 the most to me is the much better AF. If you plan to rely on AF to take your photos, this mean that you'll focus much faster and much more precisely meaning that you'll get much more often good quality image you'd want to keep. You get the much better AF-C for action shoot that's true. But you get also much more decisive focus from many lenses, in particular the one that where hit & miss and hunting a lot before like FA50 or DA50-135. So you get the shoot much faster instead of having sometime a few second for the camera to grab focus. You can nail very precise AF on an f/1.4 portrait with off center point (something that was near-impossible with K5-IIs without help of manual focus).

This is really a whole world difference.

Of course there other things too. More cropping capabilities thanks to 24MP, better white balance and exposure (so less pictures where you get burned highlights), focus peaking to help nail manual focus from the back screen...

Overall a K5-IIs is a bit better K5 like K3-II is a bit better K3... K3 is a whole new camera with a full generation advantage vs K5.

07-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #24

I personally wouldn't touch the K-5 series for weddings. I once had a memory card with all the group shots on fail to read (I was shooting Canon 50D at the time), a terrifying experience. Since then, I only shoot one-off events on bodies which can write to two memory cards at once.

As for focusing, I was shooting boxing last weekend on my K-3, shot over 1500 frames - and only missed focus on 3. I'm impressed by the focusing.
07-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I have a K5II and K3 that I shoot with most days. In my opinion, as far as general photography goes, there is not much in it. I use the K3 as my primary camera because the AF is better (as noted by many) and the 2nd SD card slot gives you options.

Both camera's give great photo's. I find with noise there is not much in it where final output is considered. Button placement isn't a real issue (and I use AF back button focussing). Battery life is good for these camera's anyway.....so I wouldn't sweat that. K3 is a bargain....K3II really is a flash v's gps thing.
07-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #26

Get the k52s it will not disappoint, and now getting cheaper.I have the k3 also, it is a good camera, but i use the k52s allot more.Think k52s then possibly ff camera with pixel shift.
07-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #27
Site Supporter

It's not a "must-have", but one of the very nice-to-have features of the K-3 is dual memory card slots. Mostly, I shoot sequentially (i.e., fill up card 1, then card 2). However, I sometimes use them simultaneously, e.g.

1) For "photo shoot of a lifetime" moments (e.g., wild orangutans in Borneo, or an "end-of-a-pet's-life" portrait session), where I can't afford to have a card failure, I'll set the capture to RAW for both slots and have each image taken duplicated (on card 1 and card 2).

2) For events (e.g. pet portraits with Santa, a photo booth set-up or a red carpet at an event), I'll record a RAW image on card 1 and a JPEG on card 2, then give the JPEG card to the people running the event and let them quickly print or distribute photos to participants. I'll keep the RAW files and do some editing on the best shots, and send an edited image that is the best in the series later on.

So, if you are doing events and weddings, you might find the dual memory card slot set-up in the K-3 very handy, either for reason 1 or reason 2.
06-30-2016, 02:17 AM   #28

Original Poster
...A quick update, one year later : I've finally made my choice...for the K1 !
06-30-2016, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Felicitationsss !!!!
06-30-2016, 11:40 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey that's cheating. That wasn't on the list of options.