Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #1

What to choose between K5ii, K3 and K3ii

Hello,

I'm currently owning a K5 which is working great. But I'm going to be in need of a second camera. So I'm currently looking around and ... I'm hesitating .

Because of some reviews (not sure of their relevance though), it seems that K3 and K3ii (compared to k5ii or k5iis) have some drawbacks. For what I remain, it's essentially smaller battery life and less good noise reduction in higher ISO (seems that K3 may be even a little bit under the K5 on that aspect).

What is your experience with those aspects ? and in a general usage ? and what would be your advice : K5 ii, K5 iiS, K3, K3 ii ?

Knowing that :
  • Price is not a criteria,
  • I'm not specially in need of a built in GPS,
  • I'm not specially in need of a built in flash,
  • Usage will be mainly wedding, portrait and events.
Thank you very much for your help

06-30-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have no fear, high ISO on the k-3 is an improvement over the k-5. The main improvements you notice about the k-3, are the jump in image quality, the improved autofocus, and that everything is just a bit more responsive. It's hard to recommend the k-5 series over the k-3 at this point, so personally I'd say look to one of the k-3 bodies. The gps and pixel shift stuff look like interesting features, but to be honest, you may not get the best use from those for events. If you see a good deal on either of the bodies, you may as well grab it.
06-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd go for the K-3. Personally I wouldn't say that it has any drawbacks over the older model, except for costing more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2015, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you like the K5 then you'll love the K5iis - better AF, no AA filter (so sharper without processing), great low-light performance, etc. The fact that I was already familiar with the layout, menus, etc from the standard K5 meant I didn't have to go through a learning curve.

I initially moved to a K3 (from K5) and although it is an extremely capable camera it just never wowed me like the K5iis does. I have sold my K3 and now have 2 x K5iis

07-01-2015, 05:01 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Either the K-3(II) or the K-5IIs. The K-3 versions are better in most ways, but if you are going to shoot two bodies you might want to have the same button layout on both. In which case the K-5IIs would be a better choice. It will still be an improvement over the K-5 in sharpness and autofocus.

One special advantage with the K-3(II) over the K-5IIs shooting weddings is the AA filter simulator to reduce the risk of moiré.

Of course, if I had no budget restrictions I would replace the K-5 with two K-3(II)s
07-01-2015, 05:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
but if you are going to shoot two bodies you might want to have the same button layout on both
You're making a very good point here !!!
07-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

I had the K-5 and since 2 years the K-3. Its a fantastic camera with brilliant dynamic range! I would buy the K-3II for the Pixel Shift, but if you think you would not use this feature the K-3 is a no brainer! Even if the K-3 has little bit more noise then the K-5(iis) it compensates with the 24mp sensor!

07-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K-3ii for sure
07-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
If you like the K5 then you'll love the K5iis - better AF, no AA filter (so sharper without processing), great low-light performance, etc. The fact that I was already familiar with the layout, menus, etc from the standard K5 meant I didn't have to go through a learning curve.

I initially moved to a K3 (from K5) and although it is an extremely capable camera it just never wowed me like the K5iis does. I have sold my K3 and now have 2 x K5iis
This is me exactly
07-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I shoot portraits a lot and I love my K5 IIs, you'll want to have the same button layout on 2 bodies when rushing on wedding & events !
07-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

While there is a good argument for having two bodies with similar layouts, the argument for having two different bodies with different sets of strengths is also worth considering. The K-3 has quicker AF; much better live view capability; the on-board flash for fill and as a controller is more consistent, better featured and allows for more manual flexibility; and if you are asked to do the occasional video - you finally have a decent overall set up for that including mic-in and headphone monitoring.

The layout difference is rather minor, although how AF is optimized requires a bit of a learning curve due to its relative complexity. I've shot major events - several hundred shots - and the K-3 battery (as well as the Pearstone generic) are very strong. Two batteries will get you through a day of constant shooting with a ton of chimping. Yeah, the K-5 series might be a bit more efficient (smaller, duller screen), but they're pretty darn close. And, of course, the batteries are shared.
07-03-2015, 02:20 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
although how AF is optimized requires a bit of a learning curve due to its relative complexity
Could you develop a little bit on that point, if you don't mind, ScooterMaxi

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
the K-5 series might be a bit more efficient (smaller, duller screen)
I'm not sure I understand your point here ?

Last edited by Cmely; 07-03-2015 at 02:33 AM.
07-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cmely Quote
Could you develop a little bit on that point, if you don't mind, ScooterMaxi
The K-3 allows you to set various AF parameters such as how persistent tracking will follow a subject; this is the kind of thing that takes some time to know how the camera will respond based on your own desires. Tracking on the K-5 series is always at its maximum, AFAIK, and still isn't going to stick with the subject as well as the K-3.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cmely Quote
I'm not sure I understand your point here ?
Just the minor difference that the screen is 3.2" rather than 3" and tends to be easier to see in bright conditions, based on the comparative reports. This certainly would account for the slightly lower CIPA rating. If set to a lower brightness to match the K-5 series, I suspect the actual battery endurance would be a very close match.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 07-03-2015 at 01:58 PM.
07-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you for your precision @ScooterMaxi
...and thank you all others also for your answers.
07-04-2015, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K5, K5-IIs and a K3. I also have several manual focus lenses I've acquired since I got my first SLR in 1971 or so. I find that focus confirmation with the K3 is better than with the K5/K5-IIs.