Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Live View mirror actuation

One thing that really annoys me about the K-r is the fact that, during Live View, even though the mirror is already raised, it pops down and back up, seemingly for no reason.

Do more recent models exhibit this odd behavior?

07-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes. Even with the K3-ii. I do find it annoying as well.
07-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #3

I always thought that mirror and shutter share some mechanic element and therefore must be flipped up/opened or flipped down/closed together.
07-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Daertu Quote
I always thought that mirror and shutter share some mechanic element and therefore must be flipped up/opened or flipped down/closed together.
I'm fairly certain that the Canikon models don't do this.

07-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I don't believe it does (as of the K-3), just the shutter. The K-3 is actually the first Pentax with different actuators for the shutter and mirror, hence the ability to streamline that aspect a bit.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Not correct. The mirror stays up on the K-3 when you shoot in live view. It only comes down when you go into the menus etc.
07-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Not correct. The mirror stays up on the K-3 when you shoot in live view. It only comes down when you go into the menus etc.
Yes, I am an idiot.
Sorry, was thinking of something else. I remembered that was not right shortly after I wrote it.
I want to delete my post, but I guess it is now here forever as a reminder I need to not do three things at once. :-(
07-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Yes, I am an idiot.
No, you are not an idiot! You just have such a deep experience with and currently own such a wide range of Pentax dSLRs that it is easy to get confused when considering the behavior of the different models. It happens to me all the time!

Steve

07-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, you are not an idiot! You just have such a deep experience with and currently own such a wide range of Pentax dSLRs that it is easy to get confused when considering the behavior of the different models. It happens to me all the time!

Steve
+1 (I'd forgotten that it doesn't flip the mirror - thanks to this thread, I'll remember).

Now, an idiot would argue for three pages that his sister's roommate's cousin's aunt had a camera that looked like a K-3 and it made a lot of noise when you took pictures in LiveView, proving that all K-3's flip the mirror and that's why you should a buy a <insert favorite other brand here>.
07-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 is actually the first Pentax with different actuators for the shutter and mirror, hence the ability to streamline that aspect a bit.
No, the K5 doesn't flip the mirror either. Only the shutter is working when shooting using live view.
07-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
No, the K5 doesn't flip the mirror either. Only the shutter is working when shooting using live view.
Even better!

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2015, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Even better!
It makes me shutter to think you could get something like that wrong.
07-03-2015, 01:45 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
It makes me shutter to think you could get something like that wrong.
Off the top of the head I remember a key improvement in the K-3, but it must have been something else related to the mirror. Perhaps that it stays up when changing shooting modes.

Adam