Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are you a back button focusser with a grip?

The only reason I dont have a pair of grips for my cameras is because I cant reach the AF button easlily from the grip's portrait orientation.

I am a back button focusser, and when I tried out the grip in the camera shop, the grip basically killed itself by not giving access to either the existing AF button on the body or a second AF button on the grip...

..would love to hear your responses

06-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
The only reason I dont have a pair of grips for my cameras is because I cant reach the AF button easlily from the grip's portrait orientation.

I am a back button focusser, and when I tried out the grip in the camera shop, the grip basically killed itself by not giving access to either the existing AF button on the body or a second AF button on the grip...

..would love to hear your responses
I feel your pain. I turn on half press when working in portrait mode with the grip attached (which it always is).
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I end up not using the grip's shutter release! Ugh, I know, what a waste just to have an extra battery and storage for a card. I REALLY wish they'd allow you to toggle the green button on the grip to either do exposure or AF.
06-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm a half presser myself and have never tried the grips AF button. Gonna have to check this out...

c[_]

06-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Damn Brit

The camera feels so much better in my hands with the grip than without. Makes it worth having for that reason alone.
Gary
06-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I feel your pain. I turn on half press when working in portrait mode with the grip attached (which it always is).
Ditto, but only if I'm doing a bunch of portrait shooting. If I'm going back and forth between landscape and portrait I don't even think to use the grip controls at all.
06-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the input, guys. i might pick up a couple just for the fit in my hand, weight and balance.

i almost want to petition for an AF button on a future grip.

anyone with me?

8)

06-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #8

I'm with you, this seems like they could add an option to change the behavior of the green button to AF in the custom options via a firmware patch.

it really does limit the usefulness of the grip without being able to use AF, and i don't like half-press at all.
« K10d Af | Grounding »