Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #1

sensor broken, or?

Hi,

When I take pictures with my new K20D all pictures has a vertical black thin line running from top to the buttom. Has anyone seen that before and knows what there can be wrong?

br
aengdal

Attached Images

Last edited by aengdal; 06-13-2008 at 01:47 PM.
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
woo.. looks like more banding problem for K20D.. check the forum for K20D banding post
06-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before you go off the deep end, switch SD cards and try again. If you only have one SD card, clean the contacts carefully with an alcohol swab, then remove all the lint. You might be lucky.
06-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have switch the SD card with a new one, but still the same result.

06-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aengdal Quote
I have switch the SD card with a new one, but still the same result.
That points towards the camera, unfortunately. Warranty work. Before I send it in, though, I would try (hoping strongly!) putting the card in and out several times to see if it is nothing more than a dirty pin in the camera's card socket. If it still has the line, it will have to be sent off.
06-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
The dealer will send it back to Pentax for repairment. The bad thing is that all pictures I have taking so far has the same black line, and therefore worthless. Another issues is that it will take about 3 weeks before I get my camera back from repairment....goodbye to all holliday pictures.

Not the service I expected from Pentax.

Anyway - thx for your feedback
06-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aengdal Quote
The dealer will send it back to Pentax for repairment. The bad thing is that all pictures I have taking so far has the same black line, and therefore worthless. Another issues is that it will take about 3 weeks before I get my camera back from repairment....goodbye to all holliday pictures.
Shit happens. I'm guessing a contact broke somewhere, assuming the IC is read vertically.

Why are the pictures ruined? While annoying, it's relatively easy to fix in any good image editor.

06-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Before you go off the deep end, switch SD cards and try again.
SD card problems cannot create a periodic error with a compressing image format like JPEG. Except maybe periodic errors with a periodicity of 8 if the JPG image header gets a bit error (i.e., with 1 image out of hundreds). Even then, I checked some posters JPGs and found no JPG image header errors.

Conclusion:

Whenever there are errors reported with images will people claim an SD card fault may be involved. This is almost never the case, though.
06-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And if that black band is on the same spot in every photo, it's definitely not the card. It's likely that some component, probably the image sensor, is bad.

You're better off dealing with that now than later, when the camera is out of warranty.

Now if you took yours back to the dealer, see if they will provide you a loaner in the meantime. It will probably not me a K20, but better something than nothing.
06-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boren Quote
Why are the pictures ruined? While annoying, it's relatively easy to fix in any good image editor.
I agree. It sucks that your camera's broke, but I've seen worse flaws in photos, and if you have any special photos with this line in them, they are savable with a little work - that's the beauty of digital.

Five minutes in Photoshop to demonstrate... (you can still see evidence of the line, but I think it demonstrates the fixability of the problem - for those images you've already shot.)

Last edited by heliphoto; 06-15-2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added example pic
06-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That looks like a sensor flaw to me..

Exchange or have Pentax repair it.

Ben
06-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

and it looks like the camera has focus problem too..