Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I haven't really used it that much - So in what situations do you use it??
My wife uses hers all the time, me not so much.

07-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Do you mean at the center pin of the hot shoe?
Well that would raise the question as to when during the slit travel the pulse would come.
It is difficult to image any use for such a pulse. And I suppose users would be unhappy with whatever timing was used.
Other users might be unhappy that their flash fired and spoiled the photo.
Send the pulse at the same time it currently does when you're below the sync speed, anything would be better than it currently is. Or for an extra candy treat, make it user adjustable (X milliseconds after hitting the shutter button or X milliseconds from when the rear curtain closes), but I'd never expect something user adjustable.

In addition to the 'black bar' sometimes being acceptable (which will depend on use case), the hotshoe can provide an easy way to trigger a second camera via a radio trigger. As it is, you're limited to keeping the shutter on the camera in your hand below the x-sync. I admit that extremely few people will have an interest in this use, but I do. Yes, there are workarounds, but honestly it seems like a lame limitation to protect unwary users.

Easy solution to protect the user from themselves - disable it by default but allow it to be enabled as a menu option. Again, I've no real expectations of a firmware update but I keep hoping future Pentax cameras will work this way.

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Futhermore, for your request, the Pentax cameras actually do provide a high speed sync to the hot shoe at speeds above 1/180th
It is for "high speed sync" Refer for example to the K-01 manual page 222
AF360FGZ manual pages 31 and 42.
I know all about those, but I'd prefer to not buy proprietary and expensive flashes as a workaround for something that should be so simple.