Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Preferences re White Balance settings

So I'm lazy... I always shoot in RAW, set the white balance in my K10D to Automatic, snap away, and then adjust it afterwords in post processing if I'm not happy with what I see in the results. Of course, my wife tells me I'm like most men and have a lousy eye for color. In my defense, she may be a bit biased, being as she has a masters in theatrical set design, another in landscape architecture, and critical use of color has been part of most of her professional life. But she's probably right about me and color...

Anyways, I'm curious as to whether most others out there also default to good ol' automatic white balance and then fix any problems afterwards, or whether you actually do use the various modes/light temperatures for white balance when you start shooting.

Last edited by Rick; 06-13-2008 at 02:32 PM.
06-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
So I'm lazy... I set the white balance in my K10D to Automatic, snap away, and then adjust it afterwords in post processing if I'm not happy with what I see in the results. Of course, my wife tells me I'm like most men and have a lousy eye for color. In my defense, she may be a bit biased, being as she has a masters in theatrical set design, another in landscape architecture, and critical use of color has been part of most of her professional life. But she's probably right about me and color...

Anyways, I'm curious as to whether most others out there also default to good ol' automatic white balance and then fix any problems afterwards, or whether you actually do use the various modes/light temperatures for white balance when you start shooting.
I use AWB - and shoot RAW only. It doesn't matter, except on the LCD preview.
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'm with Canada up there. I only shoot RAW so white balance doesn't really matter for me, except in the previews. If i'm doing RAW+JPG I leave it on AWB anyway. I think that trying to tweak it through an LCD screen is fighting a losing battle and just wait until I get home to tweak.
06-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #4

This is my rule in white balance. "Never use automatic white balance"
I always carry my digital calibrator target, or also known as white balance check card, which is basically a big card with 3 or 4 frames, one black, one gray and one almost white; before every shooting or in any light condition change I bring out the card and set my white balance to custom take a picture to the card with the camera and point to the almost white area of the card. This will put the white balance, I will say "perfect" with no need of adjustement later, unless a special situation like a person dressed in black in a white background or kind of those.
In a nutshell "Always use custom white balance with my card"

06-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

Custom White Balance

Custom if I am doing anything that is important to me, but I shoot RAW in those situations anyway. Custome WB eliminates the need for adjusting later, saves time.