Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 03:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think the thing that sets the aperture on the lens is connected to the motor that moves the mirror... so in order to set the aperture they need to move the mirror too. In the higher end models they use two motors.

The K-S2 is not (as far as video goes) artificially limited to help the K-3 II... that camera is just as rubbish, with the same oversights (except the mirror, which likely has budgetary reasons. It makes the camera cheaper to produce). You would have to go further with your conspiracy theory... Sony only gives Pentax the sensors if they limit the video capabilities of their cameras.

And yeah, the processor Pentax uses is bad, but they could get more out of it. Nikon does, though they are getting a custom version of the same chip, so maybe Nikon did get some improvements. Or it is really just the software.

If only Ricoh could hire some Magic Lantern devs to work their magic on the Pentax cameras.

07-15-2015, 03:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I think the thing that sets the aperture on the lens is connected to the motor that moves the mirror... so in order to set the aperture they need to move the mirror too. In the higher end models they use two motors..
As mentioned, this doesn't happen at all F stops, in particular F4. I've spoken about this months ago, others have checked and discovered the same result.
07-15-2015, 04:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
As mentioned, this doesn't happen at all F stops, in particular F4. I've spoken about this months ago, others have checked and discovered the same result.
Yup. Maybe the default is F4, so to reach it it doesn't need to move the mirror? Be glad that they at least give you a way to set the aperture without mirror slap.

My K-5 still has the bug that with the DA 50 1.8 the aperture changes while focusing. Sometimes the camera will even say so (F1.8, and then it changes to F2.0), mostly not. But you will see the difference in brightness, and you see the aperture move. Same thing happens on the K-3 too, and several different cameras and lenses were tried. All combinations of K-5/3 and DA 50 1.8 were affected. Other lenses and cameras not. I posted it here, on the official American Pentax forum, no response.
11-08-2015, 03:12 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may be missing the point here but if I wanted to shoot video I would purchase a video camera, or use my phone I'm happy if I get the images I want with the K-S2 which is what I purchased it for.

11-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Don't they still make video cameras?
11-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I don't see the logic in buying a cow and then getting upset because it's not a horse.

Except, of course, in the case that you truly believed that it could also do horse things. Get your milk and dressage both!