Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Interval catch in focus

Been trying to set up my K-S2 so that it will trigger to take a picture when an animal is at a certain point, (catch in focus) then reset itself and arm for the next instance (interval). I could only think of using the interval timer with catch in focus turned on. Unfortunately the catch in focus under these conditions is ignored. Any ideas? Is it not possible? Suggestions welcomed!

07-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I do not think intervals will work.....besides the camera should just fire when something is in focus anyways as long as the camera does not automatically shut down after a certain amount of time?
07-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-...tch-focus.html
07-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I do not think intervals will work.....besides the camera should just fire when something is in focus anyways as long as the camera does not automatically shut down after a certain amount of time?
I believe the OP wants to do unattended CIF. Something like that may be possible with some intervalometers that support extended shutter-down for unattended time exposures.

Steve

07-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, you need a wired remote trigger that can be locked for bulb mode. (That's what you use for continuous CIF.) You can get a cheap one for $10 on Amazon.
07-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Judging from relies so far, there does not seem to be a way of doing it with th K-S2. Yet another suggestion for Pentax, can't see a reason against it. Both components work, interval and CiF. So why not make the interval operate when the CIF is set on. You would not get an interval as originally intended. I imagined it would mean the interval time would be the time between the the last photo and ready for the next. The time waiting for the next photo is obviously dependent upon the point at which an object comes into focus.
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Judging from relies so far, there does not seem to be a way of doing it with th K-S2. Yet another suggestion for Pentax, can't see a reason against it. Both components work, interval and CiF. So why not make the interval operate when the CIF is set on. You would not get an interval as originally intended. I imagined it would mean the interval time would be the time between the the last photo and ready for the next. The time waiting for the next photo is obviously dependent upon the point at which an object comes into focus.
I believe you get exactly what you want by using the wired remote in continuous shooting mode with CIF turned on. If something is in focus, it will keep shooting, if not, it won't. (Which is what the article linked above suggests, and it is pretty easy to set-up. You just lock the remote the rest is unattended.)

If you don't want THAT many shots of a subject -- say a bird that's sitting on a branch that just sits there a while -- but want a minimum delay of 10 seconds (or whatever) between each taken shot, I'm not sure how you'd do that. Possibly one of the wired remotes that has it's own inverlometer function with the camera set to shoot single shots (but with CIF enabled) might work, but it might not. What happens when the there is no in-focus subject for a long time and the interval trips from the wired remote? Will it be smart enough to know that a shot is still waiting on hold? Probably not. A more sophisticated set-up, for instance using Cactus laser triggers would probably be in order...

07-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
Judging from relies so far, there does not seem to be a way of doing it with th K-S2.
Do you have an Android smart phone? The DSLR Remote app is capable of doing wireless shutter press of arbitrary length at interval.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dslrremote&hl=en

BTW...your specific use case (conditional interval shooting*) is pretty obscure. In the five or so years that Pentax has provided a built-in intervalometer, yours is the first request of its kind that I can remember. That does not mean the need is invalid, just that it is outside the usual thing.

Steve

* From the original post, I take it that the flow goes like this: Begin: wait for in-focus ==> trigger shutter : wait x seconds : wait for in-focus ==> trigger shutter and so on.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-05-2015 at 08:12 PM.
07-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Do you have an Android smart phone? The DSLR Remote app is capable of doing wireless shutter press of arbitrary length at interval.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dslrremote&hl=en

BTW...your specific use case (conditional interval shooting*) is pretty obscure. In the five or so years that Pentax has provided a built-in intervalometer, yours is the first request of its kind that I can remember. That does not mean the need is invalid, just that it is outside the usual thing.

Steve

* From the original post, I take it that the flow goes like this: Begin: wait for in-focus ==> trigger shutter : wait x seconds : wait for in-focus ==> trigger shutter and so on.
I don't know about that app, but you know I'm thinking that if this is actually the desired behavior, one of those wired intervalometers (cheapest are about $20) probably would work. Set the camera to single shot mode, CIF enabled, set the timer to (say) 30 seconds, set the exposure time (on the wired timer) also for 30 seconds (or maybe 29), and it will essentially hold down the shutter for 30 seconds at a time, but only take a single shot (or no shot) per cycle, depending on whether something was there and in-focus or not. I can already do the continuous thing with my Cactus v5 trigger in it's bulb mode setting, but having a "only one shot per X amount of time" is appealing also (for instance if you are using flash it has a chance to recycle assuming there is enough ambient light to do CIF). It isn't that strange a thing to do -- after all that's what the "trail cams" that you tie to a tree to catch deer and such that you can get from any sporting goods store do. (I think I just talked myself into spending $20, although I've had my eye on those laser triggers for some time too.)
07-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
one of those wired intervalometers (cheapest are about $20) probably would work.
Yes, there are many wired remotes that are capable of doing this. Unfortunately, the KS-2 (see original post) does not support a wired cable release.

Steve
07-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, there are many wired remotes that are capable of doing this. Unfortunately, the KS-2 (see original post) does not support a wired cable release.
Really? I thought it did (seems "advanced" enough). That sucks. And I gather the provided wi-fi tethering app can't do it?

So then the only option is the app you mentioned (which only works on phones with an IR sending device), or a DIY option to convert a wired remote into an IR remote. But those won't work either, will they? With bulb mode, you can set it so that first click opens shutter and second click closes it, which is the only way to use bulb with a wireless remote as far as I know (and is probably how the phone app works -- sends signal to open shutter, waits, sends close signal). But a wired remote doesn't do that, it just keeps the circuit open (I think) -- an electronic version of a mechanical cable release. I don't think you can "hold down the shutter" with an IR remote as it would need to send a constant stream (and the camera would have to recognize that). You need a mechanical button-pressing robot...
07-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the camera does not have a wired remote port, you can rubber band a rubber sink washer or other suitable object to depress the shutter button.
Set the camera to focus priority, and continuous shutter.
Turn off the auto shutoff feature.
Using a manual focus lens or a lens that can be switched to manual on the lens is necessary, because the camera has to be in AF for this to work.
Some old manual lenses with painted mounts may not work without shorting the contacts with a bit of aluminum foil.

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

Here is a DIY for cameras without wired remote port.
Bought a New Lens for Birding, the Tair-3 -- Birds in photography-on-the.net forums
Not my image
07-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If the camera does not have a wired remote port, you can rubber band a rubber sink washer or other suitable object to depress the shutter button.
Set the camera to focus priority, and continuous shutter.
Turn off the auto shutoff feature.
Using a manual focus lens or a lens that can be switched to manual on the lens is necessary, because the camera has to be in AF for this to work.
Some old manual lenses with painted mounts may not work without shorting the contacts with a bit of aluminum foil.

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

Here is a DIY for cameras without wired remote port.
Bought a New Lens for Birding, the Tair-3 -- Birds in photography-on-the.net forums
Not my image
Yeah, that's the stuff.

Still with the interval problem though. Need the button pressed on a timer somehow. (Somebody must have invented a mechanical cable release intervalometer at some point.)
07-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
So then the only option is the app you mentioned (which only works on phones with an IR sending device), or a DIY option to convert a wired remote into an IR remote.
There is a thread here on Pentax Forums where some techie people are figuring out the KS-2's wireless control interface. They are making good progress and once deciphered it may provide the means to write a phone app to supplement the one provided by Ricoh/Pentax. Such would provide a more direct solution depending on how flexible the control interface is.

On a related note, there is a custom menu setting (C1/7/Bulb(B) Mode Options) that allows the Bulb mode to behave in the same manner as the Time mode found on many film camera shutters. In T mode a shutter press opens the shutter and a second press closes.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-06-2015 at 11:44 AM.
07-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian

On a related note, there is a custom menu setting (C1/7/Bulb(B) Mode Options) that allows the Bulb mode to behave in the same manner as the Time mode found on many film camera shutters. In T mode a shutter press opens the shutter and a second press closes.
Yes, but it only affects actual bulb mode so doesn't help you "hold down the shutter" in other modes even though you are using the so-called "bulb" setting on your wired switch to do continuous shooting. At least on the K-5, which is the model I have that has a wired switch. There is a "remote continuous shooting" mode (for IR remote), but that ignores CIF and just fires away. So the IR remote is treated as a completely different switch with its own rules whereas the wired cable switch is treated just as an extension of the mechanical shutter button and follows the same rules. So I doubt any IR method will work -- it would have to be either via the wifi interface (to be determined) or a button-pressing robot...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 07-07-2015 at 09:36 AM.