Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #1

K10D vertical pattern noise problem

I am about to buy a K10D, but what is the vertical pattern noise problem I have heard of?

I experienced an annoying banding problem with a Nikon D200 i bought a year ago. Had to change to D2x wich I am selling now.

But I dont want to run into the same kind of problems with a new camera.

My typical pictures are at 100 iso tripod f=8 (11 with the K10d?) shutterspeed between 1/30 -3sec

I print typicaly 70x100cm

will dark areas suffer in a way?

Hoping for good news:

Cato

02-06-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do all of my shooting at 100-400 iso and mostly 100. I have not noticed any noise at all, patterned or otherwise. All if my properly exposed images have been absolutely wonderful.
02-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is noise

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I do all of my shooting at 100-400 iso and mostly 100. I have not noticed any noise at all, patterned or otherwise. All if my properly exposed images have been absolutely wonderful.
I used to shoot Agfa 1000 asa film and I chose that film for the "Grain aka Noise". Have you ever printed a 1600 asa photo shot with the K10D just adding a bit of monochrome grain to the image? Well if you haven't, you might give it a try. It really looks like Fuji 400 Negative film pushed one stop. In fact, I find the grain on K10D very appealing when applying .3 to .4 pixels at 120 percent and adding a duplicate de-saturated layer in the soft light menu and reducing the image to about 50 percent each in Fill and Opacity.

We are getting very spoiled I think. I feel that grain adds a kind of humanity to the images.

Because we are gaining up to 3 to 4 stops with SR, shooting an image at an acceptable shutter speed on the K10D, would have to be shot either at 1600-3200 asa with another camera. Remember that 400 asa on K10D would be 1600 on another...

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-06-2007 at 01:40 PM.
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Cato,

Have a look at this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2974-k10-quality-control-issues.html

What does it tell us? To me it says people all are different. I wouldn't dare tell you that the K10D is fine (with regards to pattern noise) after having read you had to switch your D200 to a d"x due to the banding problem. That tells me you are sensitive to anomalities and that you probably end up seeing the pattern noise, and common noise, some other don't see.

Do a test yourself by shooting a series inside a camera store and then go home and evaluate the pictures. There should be enough of bright, medium dark and ark areas you can use for targets in a common store.

Allready in this short thread we see some examples of how different people perceive "noise".

02-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I found that under-exposing with ISO 1600 when pointing at a darkish corner (at home) gave me pictures with (what looked like) vertical bands. (I didn't repeat this experiment though).

Later, I tried taking some pictures at my office with ISO 800 pointing at the (well lit) cubicles. I saw the grains in the shadow areas (aka noise) - which is expected. I briefly used ISO 400 negative film and I learnt that it gives grainy results even in good lighting condition (I wish I had the pictures scanned and uploaded). I also learnt that grains are sometimes good and they impart a certain character to some pictures.

That apart, I did not see significant grain/noise in shadow areas when using my K10D at ISO 100 - others might have. Of course, I didn't try long exposures just yet. Perhaps I'll do it tonight...

Going by your typical usage, rest assured, I feel you shouldn't see banding issue. If possible, it'd help borrowing the equipment and trying out before making the switch...

(Just my thought - if ISO 1600 were to deliver shots without grains/noise in shadow area why wouldn't the camera manufactures make it the base ISO setting? The question perhaps is, how much (or less) chroma noise at ISO 1600?)