Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Uploading spatial files for photos

So... in another thread we got talking about uploading spatial files relating to photos we would also be uploading at the same time. Examples of this are .gpx files out of GPS's (or one of the geocoding software packages) and Google Earth .kml files that will let you "fly" to a location and then see remote sensing imagery of the area around where the picture(s) were taken.

I did try to attach a .kml file to a post, but got the response from the forum that I pretty much expected: "Invalid File".

With an increasing number of us geocoding our photos, is there any interest in being able to upload spatial file formats along with our photos? If you've ever used Panoramio (Panoramio - Photos of the World) to view a picture you found the icon for in Google Earth, the result is sort of the same as Panoramio, except you cut out the middle man, as it were.

To the best of my knowledge, .gpx and .kml files have not become targets for malware.

06-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

So our options look like being:

Uploading separate location files of a couple of common format, Google Earth .kml being probably the most common/easiest?

Linking to some fancy IMS that pulls location data out of EXIF data?

Linking to Google Maps?

Link to a Pentaxforums mapping page like GM

kml is the path of least resistance I'd think.