Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Extended warranty

Hello to all
Where you buy extended warranty for camera?
Can I buy extended warranty for lenses as well
Pentax customer such told me no extended warranty for lenses
Is this correct?
What warranty better BH photo
Or Amazon drop and spills?

07-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best US warranty deal on cameras (by far) is going to be the official Pentax warranty for $19. The only caveat is that you must purchase it within 30 days of the camera. Pentax doesn't offer any kind of extended warranty for lenses, though.

Third-party warranties are generally comparable to each other, so I would go for whatever is cheapest and has the coverage you want.

Personally I wouldn't bother with extended lens warranties unless you also get drops and spills coverage. While it would be nice if Pentax could offer a standard 4-year warranty like Sigma, if your lens has a manufacturing defect you'll most likely detect it within the first year of use (if not within the first few days). I'm fine with rolling the dice on things such as focusing motor failure and general wear and tear, but this will of course vary from person to person depending on how many lenses you have and how often you use them. Since lenses don't depreciate nearly as much (if at all) as cameras, they're usually worth repairing even if it's at cost. I've gone through hundreds of lenses and can count the failures on my fingers.

A lot of people also get their expensive lenses covered under an insurance policy (i.e. home insurance), so that's something to consider as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The best US warranty deal on cameras (by far) is going to be the official Pentax warranty for $19. The only caveat is that you must purchase it within 30 days of the camera. Pentax doesn't offer any kind of extended warranty for lenses, though.

Third-party warranties are generally comparable to each other, so I would go for whatever is cheapest and has the coverage you want.

Personally I wouldn't bother with extended lens warranties unless you also get drops and spills coverage. While it would be nice if Pentax could offer a standard 4-year warranty like Sigma, if your lens has a manufacturing defect you'll most likely detect it within the first year of use (if not within the first few days). I'm fine with rolling the dice on things such as focusing motor failure and general wear and tear, but this will of course vary from person to person depending on how many lenses you have and how often you use them. Since lenses don't depreciate nearly as much (if at all) as cameras, they're usually worth repairing even if it's at cost. I've gone through hundreds of lenses and can count the failures on my fingers.

A lot of people also get their expensive lenses covered under an insurance policy (i.e. home insurance), so that's something to consider as well.
Thank you Adam
I bought my set K-3 with 18-135 from Amazon
But not add extended warranty
Amazon offer 3 y sills and drops 98$
I I not sure this will be only camera or lenses as well
07-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

You can get a Ricoh warrenty for an extra two years for twenty bucks from Adorama or B&H. I'd go with that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002058-REG/pentax_85716_all_inclusive..._warranty.html

07-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks I bought now
Adam you right after k-20
K-3 is night and day
Very interesting beast
07-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #6

i purchased the extended warranty 1 week after i purchased the k-50 kit from BH.

for about $20 you can't really go wrong.