Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #16

One thing I noticed with amazon

It's best to not include the lens. I'm the forum member that posted. "For k500 owners that wished they got the k50" and what I saw when checking out their offers is that they don't offer much for lenses either by themselves or with a kit. When I sent the k500 body I rated it as like new knowing that I would probably end up with the good offer, which I was OK with. My camera was in like new condition but it was missing the cd and the box was for a k50 with the 18-55 lens. Also I selected the option to not send back the camera, again I was confident I would get at least the good condition offer. I have read reviews where others experience were not so good, but I guess I got lucky. l paid 289 for the k500 body last year and got 265 from the trade in and bought the k50 for 290 and even today amazon offering up to 319 for a k500 trade in.

07-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alex212 Quote
It's best to not include the lens. I'm the forum member that posted. "For k500 owners that wished they got the k50" and what I saw when checking out their offers is that they don't offer much for lenses either by themselves or with a kit.
Checking the current Amazon trade in offers for the K-7, they are still offering $416.61 for the body & lens kit but only $208.52 for the body only (both in like new condition). I don't believe the DA 18-55 WR is actually worth $200+, which is probably why my camera got rejected by the trade in company. I submitted the camera as good, although it probably could have qualified for like new apart from some light wear on the box (the like new full item condition description indicates "suitable for presenting as a gift). I did tick the option to not-return the item and would probably have been content with the $346.16 acceptable condition offer.

The trade in has some advantage, in that they pay the shipping and there are no Pay-Pal or other fees. In my case I guess the only winner was UPS, who got payed to ship the camera twice.
07-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
Checking the current Amazon trade in offers for the K-7, they are still offering $416.61 for the body & lens kit but only $208.52 for the body only (both in like new condition).
I guess it varies current trade in has the k500 body at 319, body and da 18-55 lens at 336.
07-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alex212 Quote
I guess it varies current trade in has the k500 body at 319, body and da 18-55 lens at 336.
Looking at different models there certainly seems to be some discrepancy. I guess they may actually pay $17 for a DA L 18-55 on a K-500?

07-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
When I started this thread, I mentioned that Amazon offered $240 for a K-X with DA L 18-55, which they then mysteriously rejected. Now I see that they're offering $288 for the same condition K-X/18-55 combination--even more than before, despite obviously rejecting one (mine) that was mint except for a missing box (which meant that it fell between Amazon's "good" and "like new" condition, and I was willing to take the "good" offer). So the pricing of offers truly is strange.

As for selling just the camera to Amazon: although they offer $288 now for a "good" K-X with DA L 18-55, for the K-X body alone they offer only $137. That's a big difference for taking away the 18-55, given that 18-55 DA L lenses can be had on Ebay for well under $50. And at $137 for the body, I'd either just keep it, give it to a friend or family member, or sell it to B&H or Keh for a little less than Amazon's supposed offer (to avoid the risk of Amazon's bad return packaging).
07-20-2015, 04:28 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Lititz Quote
When I started this thread, I mentioned that Amazon offered $240 for a K-X with DA L 18-55, which they then mysteriously rejected. Now I see that they're offering $288 for the same condition K-X/18-55 combination--even more than before, despite obviously rejecting one (mine) that was mint except for a missing box (which meant that it fell between Amazon's "good" and "like new" condition, and I was willing to take the "good" offer). So the pricing of offers truly is strange.

As for selling just the camera to Amazon: although they offer $288 now for a "good" K-X with DA L 18-55, for the K-X body alone they offer only $137. That's a big difference for taking away the 18-55, given that 18-55 DA L lenses can be had on Ebay for well under $50. And at $137 for the body, I'd either just keep it, give it to a friend or family member, or sell it to B&H or Keh for a little less than Amazon's supposed offer (to avoid the risk of Amazon's bad return packaging).
So a 18-55 da l lens with a k-x body is worth $151 but with a k500 body is only worth $17...almost seems like the wing-it approach.
07-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #22
Forum Member

I recently sold my Sony alpha gear to fund my first Pentax body. I'm a diehard Amazon fan (as my bank account can testify) so when it came time to sell, I explored Amazon's options. I usually would go eBay but for some reason didn't want to deal with it this time around. Looked like Amazon was offering a fair price, very comparable to what it would fetch on eBay. But just at the point of sending it in, decided to do some research. I got very scared off from a lot of reviews on the third-party's practices with camera trades with this exact stuff as others have been posting. I wasn't dealing with high dollar gear but it's significant to me. These reviews go back pretty far and looks like it hasn't gotten any better. A real shame too as usually most anything Amazon has a hand in has a certain degree of standards that is reliable for the majority of people. I'm definitely an authority to speak on that. But this is one area that certainly damages their mostly good name. Hopefully they put in the effort to sort it out once and for all. Either bring it in house, stop doing trades period, or work with a dedicated third party who is as customer-centric as Amazon usually is.

As for a recommendation, I dealt with KEH and they came through as promised with no games. Just a straightforward process and got exactly what I expected. And this was for gear that isn't very popular so if I got decent treatment, I guess it can only go up from there

Not a knock but just something of note when dealing with KEH: Although it is initially started online, the tracking and follow up of the process is pretty offline/manual. Don't expect a lot of communication through email and the ability to see what's going on by logging in to their site. I sent in the items and got a little impatient so I followed up myself by calling them. Said it was still being evaluated and a day or two later I got an email stating they were done and what they were offering. Called them back and accepted with my preferred details. Got a check in the mail shortly after that. I would definitely deal with them again and in fact won't look any further should I need to trade in equipment again. A very positive and painless experience.
07-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I decided to send my like new K-r and 18-55 lens in to Amazon. Their offer was $214 for like new condition. I told them I would take the lesser price, all the way down to $140 for acceptable. I had all the stuff that came with the K-r, the original box and all papers. I charged the battery before sending and checked the camera to make sure it was working. Got the word today that they rejected it due to "damaged bundled lenses". They are returning it to me.

I highly doubt the lens was damaged in shipping to them and not the camera. Makes no sense. This is just some excuse to reject the offer. If that's the case, why do they pay for people to ship stuff to them only to reject it and have to ship it back? This is idiotic.

If I get the package back and the camera is damaged, they are going to hear about it. I spend more per year at Amazon than I'd like to admit and they will lose a customer. That camera was in fantastic shape and there is no way it should've been rejected.

07-28-2015, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I decided to send my like new K-r and 18-55 lens in to Amazon. Their offer was $214 for like new condition. I told them I would take the lesser price, all the way down to $140 for acceptable. I had all the stuff that came with the K-r, the original box and all papers. I charged the battery before sending and checked the camera to make sure it was working. Got the word today that they rejected it due to "damaged bundled lenses". They are returning it to me.

I highly doubt the lens was damaged in shipping to them and not the camera. Makes no sense. This is just some excuse to reject the offer. If that's the case, why do they pay for people to ship stuff to them only to reject it and have to ship it back? This is idiotic.

If I get the package back and the camera is damaged, they are going to hear about it. I spend more per year at Amazon than I'd like to admit and they will lose a customer. That camera was in fantastic shape and there is no way it should've been rejected.
Loco, welcome to the "damaged bundled lenses" club. Maybe PentaxForums should start a "Damaged Bundled Lenses Club" where members can show the wonderful photos they made with their damaged bundled lenses!

What's interesting in Loco's experience is that even with the option to drop offer down to a reasonable $140, Amazon still rejected it for the standard "damaged bundled lenses" reason. So they're rejecting items where Amazon obviously offered too much, and they're also rejecting offers that they probably could make a few dollars on.

As for Amazon's contractor: the repeated experience of this problem perhaps suggests some serious disorganization, almost as though the "buy" side isn't talking to the "sell" side. Or maybe they don't want to admit a buying (algorithm) error by issuing a simple "Sorry, we've got too many of these now" apology (which I think would be easier for customers to accept than the bogus damaged lens claims). Or maybe they're really picky about even a single speck of dust inside a lens.... in which case they should be rejecting most every lens.
07-28-2015, 04:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Yeah, I was just looking to offload it, to be honest. $140 would've been fine with me. I was surprised they declined to pay at all.

Maybe I'll try KEH, but the last time I dealt with them on a trade-in, they seriously low-balled me and it left a bad taste in my mouth. At least they would've followed through on it, though. I suppose the Marketplace here is also an option.
07-31-2015, 09:43 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you receive the camera back yet? If so how was the return packaging?
07-31-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
Did you receive the camera back yet? If so how was the return packaging?
Yeah, I got it back last night. Just like others in this thread, they only put the camera box in a slightly padded bag, rather than return it in the bigger Amazon box I sent it to them in. I let them know I wasn't pleased with this whole process.

The camera and lens are fine. No issues at all. KEH's offer is ridiculously low ball so I guess I will either try to sell here or just keep it.
07-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KEH's offer is ridiculously low ball so I guess I will either try to sell here or just keep it.
KEH isn't going to pay more than half what they think they can sell it for. Unless it's a really rare/popular item. If it's a really common item (i.e. A 50/1.7) they will only pay a fraction of that...
07-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
KEH isn't going to pay more than half what they think they can sell it for. Unless it's a really rare/popular item. If it's a really common item (i.e. A 50/1.7) they will only pay a fraction of that...
Exactly. That's why I was willing to take even the lowest price from Amazon ($140). That's over twice as much as KEH offered to pay. But clearly Amazon never intended to pay anything.
07-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, Amazon's policy here is very strange. It looks like an algorithm gone wild. Usually their suggested buy price for items on the site is reasonable but often it is just wildly high or low. I very much appreciate this thread because I was thinking of sending them my K-01. From the experiences reported here that would clearly not be a good idea.